• size: 222 mm (8.7") x 80 mm (3.1")
  • year released: 2009
  • us availability / price: 01 Feb 09 - now $19.99
  • uk availability / price: 12 Apr 10 - now £17.99
  • link brickset
  • link peeron
  • instructions

Introduction

Because I received this as 2nd prize for the LDD contest and found out that there wasn't a review yet on this model, I felt the need to do something in return for Eurobricks, so here is my first review. Hope you enjoy it.

The Box

When you have this set in hand, it really feels like you got a present. The size and quality of the box is very different from the normal Lego sets. It feels strong. And as you might be able to see on the foto you can easily open and close the box once you cut the seal. On the photo is also visible what the leftovers are. 3 small cut-off pieces of rigid hose and two small parts.

21003-02.jpg

The Instructions

Similair too the box, the instructions are printed on fine quality paper, and feel better then the usual instructionbooks. The book starts with a small introduction on the real Space Needle and informs you of its height, width and more technical details.

21003-03.jpg

21003-04.jpg

The Parts

Now close your eyes for a moment an think of something completely different, forget the Space Needle.............And now open them again and look at the inventory. If you see these parts for the first time and don't know what set they belong to, I doubt if you will ever find out. Except for the printed tile with Seattle Space Needle on it there are not really new or exceptional parts. It's just the combination of them. For the part fetisjists, the parts come in two unnumbered bags.

21003-05.jpg

Building the model

The whole model takes about 5 minutes to put together, and cutting the rigid hose is probably the most time consuming part. The instructions leave nothing up to your imagination, and with the limited amount of used colors there are no color issues.

21003-06.jpg

21003-07.jpg

21003-08.jpg

21003-09.jpg

The finished model

The result is great, The size, and the details are really well done. Although I haven't seen the tower for real, only in movies and TV-series, you don't need a second look to identify the landmark.

21003-10.jpg

End of the story

The instruction book ends with a word from the artist, and a general note on the architecture series.

21003-11.jpg

21003-12.jpg

Conclusions and thoughts

This set, and I guess the other Architecture sets aswell are really great to give or receive as gift. As there is no play value, and the scale is far from minifigure, these models are made for your bookshelf. I would have bought this set myself, but only as an souvenir after a visit to the real Space Needle. Although it's retail price seems high, I think it's good value for money. Not as a price per piece set, but more when you put together the nice box, booklet and model.

My only complaints are about the use, or better non use of colors. The whole model is build in grey while the introduction text mentions: "Astronaut white for the supporting legs, Orbital olive for the core, Re-entry red for the halo and galaxy gold for the sunburst and pagoda roof". I guess it's just the fact that certain parts aren't available in certain colors, because I think an all white model would allready been closer to the real thing. My interest in the Architecture series has really grown after building end reviewing this set. I am not gonna give grades to this set, so I leave it all up to you to judge for yourself.

Thanks you for reading,

Jan

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed and poll added

Prateek, Thanks for adding a poll, I found out last evening that I needed another 450 post to do it myself.

Jan

Prateek, Thanks for adding a poll, I found out last evening that I needed another 450 post to do it myself.

Jan

Err, Prateek got no power to add a poll. I am the one whom adds it in. :wink:

Err, Prateek got no power to add a poll. I am the one whom adds it in. :wink:

Oops, then I want to take the thanks back for that from Prateek, and pass it to you.

And I wanna leave Prateek with only the thanks for his comment.

I hope this way it's solved

Great review. I bought this today, like the "Artistic Interpretation" of the architecture.