Sign in to follow this  
SpiderSpaceman

Lego legal building techniques and LDD

My understanding on the illegality is that you can't connect a row of studs to a row of pinholes, or connect a brick with studs on sides to a technic brick and connect them together to a plate, or having an overlap on top, etc. a single stud into a single pinhole with no other connections should be legal: in fact you can do it in ldd: with the 1x1 plate only - try it :wink: (in fact that's another connection problem, plenty other parts should be able to do that legally)

you probably know how to find that reference pdf file better than I do, give it an extra look :classic:

EDIT:

here pulled 'em out for you

4890966486_a522e45549.jpg

4890369035_da5d609ded.jpg

hey kalle,

my understanding on the illegality is that you can't connect a row of studs to a row of pinholes, or connect a brick with studs on sides to a technic brick and connect them together to a plate, or having an overlap on top, etc. a single stud into a single pinhole with no other connections should be legal: in fact you can do it in ldd: with the 1x1 plate only - try it :wink: (in fact that's another connection problem, plenty other parts should be able to do that legally)

Hm, not sure I follow you here. Can you give me some screenshots from LDD or similar.

Regarding Legal building, yes that document you refer to is great (available from the LDD Index Topic) - my bible for many years. It's written by Jamie Berard whom I had the great pleasure of meeting a few months ago. He told me he was working on an updated version that hopefully be released shortly. It's going to be intresting to see what new updates have been made by DesignLab at TLG. Personally I'm a purist, and really like that LDD is so strict. It really forces you to come up with creative solutions. And it frces you to design on the same premises at TLG designers have to. :classic:

EDIT: Regarding my first statement that placing a lightsaber hilt in a technic hole is illegal may be incorrect actually, since it's connected with only one stud and is easy to pull out. I'll have to investigate this :classic:

EDIT:

here pulled 'em out for you

The first one is legal if no plate / brick connects the gold to reddish brown brick. In the second example the plate can attach to a technic hole (legal) but a plate / brick cannot go over the top of the technic brick (illegal).

It is this second case which is required to make Yoda's ears work; and a grey plate (hair) sits over the top. I guess it is released as the CubeDudes are a custom creation and not a strictly TLG design.

As Superkalle mentions the issue is with the light sabre blade hilt fitting into a technic hole - a boundary problem probably also related to the mix of system vs technic. I cant make it work with or without the presence of the hands.

Edited by roamingstudio

Hm, not sure I follow you here. Can you give me some screenshots from LDD or similar.

Regarding Legal building, yes that document you refer to is great (available from the LDD Index Topic) - my bible for many years. It's written by Jamie Berard whom I had the great pleasure of meeting a few months ago. He told me he was working on an updated version that hopefully be released shortly. It's going to be intresting to see what new updates have been made by DesignLab at TLG. Personally I'm a purist, and really like that LDD is so strict. It really forces you to come up with creative solutions. And it forces you to design on the same premises at TLG designers have to. :classic:

EDIT: Regarding my first statement that placing a lightsaber hilt in a technic hole is illegal may be incorrect actually, since it's connected with only one stud and is easy to pull out. I'll have to investigate this :classic:

regarding your edit: yes! that's what i was getting at :sweet:

here's a sample of parts that will and won't connect (as of the infamous 114.5 :laugh: )

4890510695_94df3472b3.jpg

it's not exactly consistent, but I think they're all supposed to be legal

I'm also purist by the way :thumbup:

Edited by SpiderSpaceman