Sign in to follow this  
Maltem

Good sets to start with for kid?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

My kid really like Star Wars and Lego. So well i'm going to buy a few sets for him.

Since i will build the sets with him its no real problem if they are hard to put together. However they should be "easy" to play with.

He already got the Anakin yelllow spaceship.

I can: Buy a big set like the Battle of Endor or buy a few smaller sets.

Any suggestions on best starter boxes on current lego star wars sets? When i bring him to the store he always points at the biggest box that he can find ;) (But does big spaceships is way to heavy for him to play with)

Your kid's got taste. :laugh:

Battle of Endor is certainly a good choice, but you might want to make sure what he likes better: The Clone Wars TV series or the movies. That will narrow your choice down a bit.

If he does like the Clone Wars, you could buy him the clone and assassin droid battle packs and the ARC-170 Starfighter or Republic Attack Shuttle. They are great sets, and even though the ARC-170 and RAS are a little big, they are still easier to play with than the Republic Gunship or Venator.

But if he likes the original trilogy, the Battle of Endor is definitely the set to get.

Your kid's got taste. :laugh:

Battle of Endor is certainly a good choice, but you might want to make sure what he likes better: The Clone Wars TV series or the movies. That will narrow your choice down a bit.

If he does like the Clone Wars, you could buy him the clone and assassin droid battle packs and the ARC-170 Starfighter or Republic Attack Shuttle. They are great sets, and even though the ARC-170 and RAS are a little big, they are still easier to play with than the Republic Gunship or Venator.

But if he likes the original trilogy, the Battle of Endor is definitely the set to get.

I totally agree with you. The RAS is a great set for children.

If he likes making up space dogfights I suggest ARC-170 and droid trifighter.

If he likes clone wars and wants ground battles AAT or tankdroid, 1 or 2 assasins droid BP's and 1 or 2 clone walker BP's.

If he likes OT wampa cave, echo base (two can easily be made into a bigger base) a couple of snow trooper BP's and a couple of rebel trooper BP's.

if he wants an OT dogfight Tie defender and X wing.

Hope this helps :classic:

I think this all depends on skill level and interest. Obviously, you're going to have to decide whether to let him like the Clone Wars or if you're going to convert him to OT at a nice early age. :laugh:

I'd start with a medium set of a well-know vehicle; The ARC-170 is a good choice, full of features, and there's a reason the X-wing is the oldest SW set still officially available from LEGO.

When in doubt, you really can't beat a Battlepack. I'd say that the Clone and Rebel packs are easier to build, but the Imperial pack would offer the most play possibilities. The only sets I'd rule out at this point are UCS sets, sets over $150, and the Assassin BP.

Yeah, the X-Wing is a good choice, it's totally swooshable and comes with an excellent selection of figures. Pair that with Darth Vader's Tie Fighter and you've got hours of fun acting out space battles around the house.

Of course, The Battle of Endor is great playset. Lots of characters, lots of vehicles, maximum playability.

I would have to recommend the Battle of Endor to younger kids, it has probably the MOST possible play features that a set can have. While it is pricey, you get more for your money, it has a much larger selection of figures, vehicles, and bases. For the clone wars sets, if you get any, make sure to get a clone battle pack or two.The Hoth Wampa Cave also is a great set for a kid to play with. The Hoth battle packs are also a great choice!

#1, Battle of Endor

#2, Hoth Wampa Cave

Hope that this helps!

Edited by Sirius Black

I agree.....Battle Of Endor....lots of building and playing - great starter in SW Lego !

I'm a conformist! ! :yoda:

The Battle of Endor is a great set to get him definitely. Its got great minifigs and a lot of them, its a good build and it has great parts if he feels like creating something himself. Another great thing about it is that it will become a collectors item over time so if he gets bored of lego just keep it nicely wrapped up and sell it at a later date!

Well, if he likes the movies, I'd suggets going for the classic stuff-the Midi falcon, Battle of Endor, or maybe the X-Wing if you see it. If he likes the Clone Wars, then maybe the ARC, AAT, AT-TE, or Tri-Droid.

I started my kid on the Imperial Dropship and the Rebel Scout Speeder...so to me, any and all of the BattlePacks are great for a start(nice smaller vehicle they can hold in their hand, swoosh around and have fun mini-figures to play with. A highlight for kids). They won't overwhelm them at first...gives them a fun easier build so they get more involved with the building so Mom/Dad don't take over the building process too much. You can be the supervisor and of course make sure the pieces are tight and proper on the models. These smaller models are good because they don't come apart so easily with play and are easy fixes if they do.

I suggest DON'T get big sets at first. Build(no pun intended :tongue: )up to them. Also, purchase a couple of baseplates and an assortment of Pick-A-Bricks so your child can build his own settings to go along with the Battle Pack figures and vehicles. It'll spur the imagination better and they'll have more fun instead of a larger set in which you'll probably do most of the work.

Here's my suggestions...

Imperial Dropship

Rebel Scout Speeder

Echo Base

Clone Walker Battle pack

Assassin Droids Battle pack

Rebel Trooper Battle pack

Snowtrooper Battle pack

Hoth Wampa Cave

Luke's Landspeeder

Corporate Alliance Tank Droid

MagnaGuard Starfighter and X-Wing Fighter(I put these on the list, if you go with a larger vehicle because once built these two vehicles are sturdy and hold up to play. Always show your kid where to 'hand hold' the model so it wont' come apart and have lot's of fun swooshing and playing).