Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Adventure Sub

We were discussing Atlantis as an Adventure Theme and it made me think of a MOC I had built a few years ago using Classic Space pieces. I had entered this MOC with a story for a Lego Adventure Contest involving Johnny Thunder racing to China. The sub was a way for him to take a shortcut under the ice.

I don't think the sub came out that good but it was ispired from the Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I didn't have a good background image so I just changed it with a background of Atlantis.

u6-jpg.jpg

Thanks. I built this several years ago and have long since wrecked it. Just took this one image. The vessel did not have much of an interior.

It looks like one of those deep sea fish to me!

The Brickster, what was your inspiration to design a submarine that looked like a fish? Do you recall? I remember the submarine in SeaQuest DSV looked like a giant squid, so did that have anything to do with it?

It was an attempt to make the Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (the 1954 version with James Mason and Kirk Douglas). Great movie! Much better than the 90's version with Ben Cross.

20k_nautilus_1.jpg

I like it! I may have to borrow the design and modify it. Make it a little longer, maybe. But I probably won't, as I have a heck of a time building any kind of vehicle or anything else not starting from a pretty solid and large baseplate.

Steve

And much better still than the 2004 version seen in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...

That was a horrible computer generated sub that was just too large to be realistic - and the Captain Nemo that they selected seemed so out of character. Not a good rendition at all (the Nautilus or the Captain).

The 1st picture I showed was the sub in one of the Disney Lands/Disney World. It was the movie version. The 2nd image that Phes shared seems a bit short and a little too smooth for it's time.

What my version was missing was reverse/upside down slopes which I lacked (would have given the sub a much sleeker look). As always, I didn't have the pieces I needed/wanted and had to work with a lot of standard bricks.

Brickster, for some reason I'm not seeing the picture you've posted. All I get is IPB Image. Anyone else having this problem?

All that old brown... it almost brings tears to my eyes..

God Bless,

Nathan

It's too bad that 4888 Ocean Odyssey was not mini-fig scale. I didn't buy this sub but it could have been easily modified as a real adventure sub.