Klaus-Dieter

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 3 discussion

Series 3 sound great to me and the assortment seems very typical of what we've seen before. There always seems to be a few remakes, a few females, a few historical, a few sports guys, and a few random minifigs in each set.

Despite the fact that the Collectable Minifigures series do not belong to any specific existing theme, they contain subthemes of their own.

The subthemes I've deduced so far are (the unconfirmed third series figs are put in quotations marks):

Beach (Diver, Lifeguard, Surfer, "Hawaiian Girl")

Circus (Clown, Magician, Ringmaster,"Gorilla")

Fantasy ("Elf")

Fighting (Super Wrestler, Karate Master, "Sumo Wrestler")

History (Caveman, Forestman, Explorer, Pharaoh, Spartan)

Horror (Zombie, Vampire, Witch, "Mummy")

Hospital (Nurse, "Surgeon")

Japan (Ninja, "Samurai")

Music (Disco Dude, Pop Star, "Dancer", "Male Singer")

Space (Spaceman, Robot, "Alien")

Sports (Cheerleader, Weightlifter, Skier, "Ferrari Driver", "Snowboarder", "Baseball Player")

Town (Skater, Mime, "Fisher")

Traffic (Demolition Dummy, Traffic Cop)

Western (Tribal Hunter, Cowboy, Mariachi, "Native American Chief")

Feel free to disagree with me on these, or make up your own subthemes. :wink:

Despite the fact that the Collectable Minifigures series do not belong to any specific existing theme, they contain subthemes of their own.

I wonder how didn't I notice that before...

By the way, sumo is Japanese too.

The Super Wrestler, the Karate Master, the "Sumo Wrestler", the Ninja, and the "Samurai" are a bit hard to categorize, but the subthemes idea is clever. :thumbup:

Maybe the "male singer" is a journalist? I mean, what clothes did he wear?

I also don't think that the yellow-outfit guy is a sumo wrestler, because they wear these weird underpants. Maybe they put the trophy and the rattles for replacement until the real item will be produced, and the real items will show us the minifigs' purpose.

Edited by noname

The subthemes I've deduced so far are (the unconfirmed third series figs are put in quotations marks):

Beach (Diver, Lifeguard, Surfer, "Hawaiian Girl")

Circus (Clown, Magician, Ringmaster,"Gorilla")

Fantasy ("Elf")

Fighting (Super Wrestler, Karate Master, "Sumo Wrestler")

History (Caveman, Forestman, Explorer, Pharaoh, Spartan)

Horror (Zombie, Vampire, Witch, "Mummy")

Hospital (Nurse, "Surgeon")

Japan (Ninja, "Samurai")

Music (Disco Dude, Pop Star, "Dancer", "Male Singer")

Space (Spaceman, Robot, "Alien")

Sports (Cheerleader, Weightlifter, Skier, "Ferrari Driver", "Snowboarder", "Baseball Player")

Town (Skater, Mime, "Fisher")

Traffic (Demolition Dummy, Traffic Cop)

Western (Tribal Hunter, Cowboy, Mariachi, "Native American Chief")

Feel free to disagree with me on these, or make up your own subthemes. :wink:

They could be grouped in different ways. Some could even fit into more than one group but your grouping seems good. I would toss the Samari and ninja into historical and maybe put the elf with the horror group as all fantasy. They also could be grouped by whether they have a new mold as each series seems to a some minifigs with new molds and some without.

I'm especially exicited about the elf, if that's indeed what it is, as I was dissapointed to never have elves join the fantasy castle era series. One elf is nice, a battle pack would have been great.

Series 3 sound great to me and the assortment seems very typical of what we've seen before. There always seems to be a few remakes, a few females, a few historical, a few sports guys, and a few random minifigs in each set. I hope they keep up the pace and release 4 sets a year. I don't think the intention is for everyone to be able to collect all of them unless you are an obsessed collector like a lot of us here. If you are willing to put the time and money into to it, you can get them all. It can be expensive but collecting legos is never a cheap hobby.

If you are alone in doing this collection, the average price you must think to spend in a single serie if there are no barcodes and you can't guess the package by feeling it is: for 2€ or 2$ per minifigure, you have to spend $/€ 108,18 to have the average chance to get all the minifigures, which means that you will owe the 16 ones + 38 doubles, and possibly there will be some minifig you will have 6x or 7x.

If you are alone in doing this collection, the average price you must think to spend in a single serie if there are no barcodes and you can't guess the package by feeling it is: for 2€ or 2$ per minifigure, you have to spend $/€ 108,18 to have the average chance to get all the minifigures, which means that you will owe the 16 ones + 38 doubles, and possibly there will be some minifig you will have 6x or 7x.

God bless statistics! That's pretty impressive calculating that! Of course, anyone who thought such an investment was worthwhile would just buy a box, where they're guaranteed around three full collections while paying far less. Granted, some would rather gamble with individual purchases hoping that even a less-than-average chance will net them all 16, while others will use the barcodes or feel the bags.

Of course, beyond the thrill of collecting and "bragging rights" there's no real point in getting every fig. I myself have no intent to seek out every one-- I'll be happy with whatever I can get (even though certain specific figs have uses I can foresee-- the surfer and lifeguards' swimsuits as well as the explorer's khaki shorts could be useful to me in the future).

God bless statistics! That's pretty impressive calculating that! Of course, anyone who thought such an investment was worthwhile would just buy a box, where they're guaranteed around three full collections while paying far less. Granted, some would rather gamble with individual purchases hoping that even a less-than-average chance will net them all 16, while others will use the barcodes or feel the bags.

Of course, beyond the thrill of collecting and "bragging rights" there's no real point in getting every fig. I myself have no intent to seek out every one-- I'll be happy with whatever I can get (even though certain specific figs have uses I can foresee-- the surfer and lifeguards' swimsuits as well as the explorer's khaki shorts could be useful to me in the future).

Well, I teach Math so that wasn't very difficult to me, to get one you pay 2$, to get the second you have 15 out of 16 to don't catch a double, and it's $2.13, to get the last one the average case is you have to buy 16 so it makes $32, and the others are in the midddle.

BTW I will buy a box for the third wave with a friend of mine but I don't really think that it will be easy that three full collections will be available.

Well, I teach Math so that wasn't very difficult to me, to get one you pay 2$, to get the second you have 15 out of 16 to don't catch a double, and it's $2.13, to get the last one the average case is you have to buy 16 so it makes $32, and the others are in the midddle.

BTW I will buy a box for the third wave with a friend of mine but I don't really think that it will be easy that three full collections will be available.

What do you mean by "but I don't really think that it will be easy that three full collections will be available"?

In Series I and II there have been three full sets plus extras in each and every box.

Edit: Your stats are incorrect - the odds of finding a specific fig are not equal. IE, some are more rare than others.

Edited by Edmond Dantes

Does anyone have any pictures of series 3?

If we did, you would see them!

I hope they'll have back printing, it's the only possible printing missing(other than top head printing?). I geuss they're meant to be looked at from the front like other collectable toys. :hmpf:

Your stats are incorrect - the odds of finding a specific fig are not equal. IE, some are more rare than others.

Ok, I adjusted my stats to the worse case, the one in which you get the commons first, the uncommons then and the rares as last.

It becomes now considering $2 per minifig a total amount of $126.15

In the better case, the one in which you get the rares first, the uncommons then and the commons as last, it becomes total of $95.94

So, it is easy to see that if someone wants to complete the series, the easiest way is to buy in three people a box, which means 3 complete collections for 40$ each, which is more than halving the price.

Edited by Itaria No Shintaku

Fugazi found a German link regarding the Series 3 MF Collection (as well as other 2011 sets). Click here.

My german is a little rusty (actually, it has never been anything but rusty :tongue:), but if I'm not mistaken, "Snowboarderin (mit rosa Helm)" means we will be getting a female snowboarder :wub:

Indeed! By combining Klaus-Dieter's list with than on 1000steine, we get:

Minifigure Series 3:

-fisher with fishing pole and fish

-Ferrari racer (red torso) with helmet

-mummy with scorpion

-sumo wrestler (yellow torso and pants) with trophy

-samurai knight with removable armor and samurai sword

-Hawaii girl (green skirt print) with two green rattles

-baseball player with baseball bat

-elf with bow and big buckler

-Native American chief with lance

-alien with space gun

-rapper with mike? and recorder?

-gorilla with banana

-female snowboarder with pink helmet and snowboard

-half-human half-robot

-female athlete

-? doctor/surgeon with suitcase OR adventure pilot?

More knowledgeable Germanophones can correct me! KD, where are you when we need you! :wink:

Edited by Fugazi

My german is a little rusty (actually, it has never been anything but rusty :tongue:), but if I'm not mistaken, "Snowboarderin (mit rosa Helm)" means we will be getting a female snowboarder :wub:

Agreed... can't wait to get a full translation of this information. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??

EDIT: Thanks Fugazi-- and good work on the find as well!

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

[/b]-? doctor/surgeon with suitcase OR adventure pilot?

It seems like they still haven't exactly sorted it out yet. What happened to the artist? And wasn't a pirate mentioned at one point?

I guess this is why they hate leaks - nothing is ever set in stone until the official announcements.

Edited by David Thomsen

It seems like they still haven't exactly sorted it out yet. What happened to the artist? And wasn't a pirate mentioned at one pont?

I guess this is why they hate leaks - nothing is ever set in stone until the official announcements.

I think the 16 figs themselves are set in stone (since they're probably already in production), it's just that the descriptions seem to conflict a bit. It's quite understandable, in the absence of a written list from TLC.

Some thoughts:

• Really curious to see what this whole half-man, half-robot thing is all about... As a kid I once took some Testor's silver model paint to a policeman fig with less than stellar results, and I can only hope this will succeed where I failed.
  • Early on it seems like the least sought after figs, aka the ones I'll get stuck with the most (esp if there's no way to discern one from another without the UPCs), would be the Ferrari driver and the rapper. But we'll have to wait and see.
  • I was really excited about the artist figure... ah well, maybe he'll be included in the fourth?
  • Obviously the elf will be the 'spartan' or army builder of the series, but I don't think I'll go beyond more than 2 or 3. I just grabbed my 4th Spartan last night and now have doubles of almost the entire 2nd series, and I gotta tell ya, I feel a little remorse over it. Like I got caught up into the whole 'collector' fuss.
  • If there's any figure I might consider grabbing high multiples of, it might be the baseball player. I'm not even much of a baseball fan, BUT there's something kinda cool about getting nine players, enough for a whole hometown team of my town. I guess it'll really come down to the uniform colors-- Klaus??
  • GORILLA!! Looking forward to it... either with the budding circus being built up in the collectible series, or among the monkeys on Enchanted Island.

Klaus, these sound like them?

Hawaiian (with the Mexicans familiar rattle in brown and a bast skirt), chief Mandschurin fighters, adventure pilot (nice face), fishing with rod and fish, half man - half robot - entity, snowboarder (pink helmet) racer, rapper, Elf, sumo wrestlers and a cup of Karateka, Alien (as in police-Spac with goggle eyes, mummy scorpion athlete?, baseball player with bat and Gorilla with banana.

From a German LEGO blog, see this

Klaus, these sound like them?

Hawaiian (with the Mexicans familiar rattle in brown and a bast skirt), chief Mandschurin fighters, adventure pilot (nice face), fishing with rod and fish, half man - half robot - entity, snowboarder (pink helmet) racer, rapper, Elf, sumo wrestlers and a cup of Karateka, Alien (as in police-Spac with goggle eyes, mummy scorpion athlete?, baseball player with bat and Gorilla with banana.

From a German LEGO blog, see this

Let's compare.

In both lists:

1-Hawaiian Girl

2-Fisher

3-Snowboarder

4-Elf

5-Sumo Wrestler

6-Male Singer = Rapper

7-Alien

8-Mummy

9-Baseball Player

10-Gorilla

The commas in the description don't help, so chief Mandschurin seem two different ones, one related to the native american, the other related to a Chinese warrior, which means NO SAMURAI since Mandschurins and samurais are quite different!

11-Native American Chief

12-Mandschurin Fighter OR Samurai

Also racer is attached to snowboarder, but perhaps it referes to the famous Ferrari Driver they say.

13-Ferrari Racer

Here come the differences.

On the German site, 14 15 and 16 are:

14a - Athlete

15a - Adventure Pilot

16a - Cyborg

where on Klaus-Dieter's

14b - Doctor / Surgeon

15b - Female Dancer

16b - Unknown (said to be an Artist somewhere)

Please people correct me if I am somewhere wrong.

Thanks.

Does anybody think this is Series 3? I doubt it as we just got a cop. Anybody recognize the part? Thought it does appear to be a sticker.

4928461819_e0e740c487.jpg

Does anybody think this is Series 3? I doubt it as we just got a cop. Anybody recognize the part? Thought it does appear to be a sticker.

4928461819_e0e740c487.jpg

Wait... how are there fingerprints? Minifigs don't have fingers! :laugh:

Anyway, I'm going to wait until pics of some variety or another surface before I judge whether I like the projected assortment. With all these different sources it's a bit hard to tell what's what.

Hello, some info from my shop...

The 3rd series is green

minifigs:

1) hawaii girl with hair like willie in brown (from indiana jones) - accessories: 2 brown maracas

2) tennis girl with white plisseted skirt and racket

3) sumo wrestler with new black hair and big belly - accessories: trofeo like judo boy from series 2

4) baseball player with giants uniform and new cap with sharp peak - accessories: baseball bat (very pretty)

5)fisher - accessories: long fishing rod (new mold) and fish

6) elf warrior with hair from Qui-Gon Jinn NO POINTED EARS - accessories: shield with gondor tree and arrow

7) indian chief - like old indian chief, - accessories: lance

8) samurai warrior - with heavy (old)armour and maybe (i don't remember) a new helmet

9) street boy with striped sunglasses and a BIG (very big) stereo!

10) alien like squidman (in purple) with laser pistol and purple beam

11) gorilla (it is a costume) with a banana. The legs are dark brown and have the standard mold

12) ferrari driver in red and helmet

13) mummy - like old mummy sorry no ankh

Sorry i dont remember the last 3, but tomorrow i'll return in the shop...

they were preliminary pictures so something can change...

nausi

Edited by nausicaakro