Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pbk420

Question from a new user about brick categories

3 posts in this topic

Now that they have finally added enough pieces to LDD to make it worth checking out im starting to get hooked. My only problem so far is how the bricks palettes are arranged. I mean some of it makes sense as far as the basic bricks and plates. But when you open up the minifig and the minifig accessory dropdown its a big mess nothing is in any kind of order that makes sense. Being a new user im still stumbling my way through how this program works but is there a way to rearrange the order the parts are in or am i out of luck ? Guess ive been spoiled using ldraw/mlcad over the years lol .

Hi there pbk420

Welcome to the LDD forums.

Your question has been discussed earlier, but a short recap goes something like this:

1) The categories in LDD are actually the internal TLG categories, it's just that in LDD several of them have been bunched together (to get a "better" overview). Unfortunately this makes it a bit difficult to see the logic in the categories, but you learn it after a while.

2) Within each category, bricks are sorted according to their bounding box volume, so smaller pieces go first, and then larger. The reasons for this is actually to keep it simple for LDD developers, as they can easily just toss new bricks in and they will "sort themselves".

3) Searching for bricks in LDD isn't possible yet, but rumours has it that it will be a feature in LDD4 due for release in September. For the time being you can either a) manually look through all the categories or b) use LDD Manager to search for the bricks.

Hope that helps a bit

PS: I took the liberty of adding a few clarifying words to the topic title for future reference

Being a new user im still stumbling my way through how this program works but is there a way to rearrange the order the parts are in or am i out of luck ? Guess ive been spoiled using ldraw/mlcad over the years lol .

So I'm not the only one with this 'problem' :)

Finding the right part aometimes takes a lot of time, especially if you're not even sure it exists in LDD. I'm curious to see what LDD4 will bring...