Pieces: 658

Minifigs: 3

Price: EUR 120

USD 130

DDK 950

AUD 230

NZD 300

Peeron | Brickset | Bricklink | Lego S@H

Seems no one else wants to do a review of this, so I'll give it a shot. My first review, so any pointers on the review are welcome.

According to the Lego Website:

All aboard the new high-speed passenger train!

The new high-speed passenger train is faster than a speeding bullet and it's on-track to super-speed passengers to their destinations! This train can handle up to eight cars at a time through the tight curves of the new flexible tracks using the new 4-channel, 7-speed infrared remote control. Train features an engine with opening cockpit and 2 passenger cars with removable roofs and space for 10 passengers. Includes 3 minifigures: train driver and 2 passengers; plus 1 traffic light, train station, 16 curved track pieces and 16 flexible track pieces that can make a curve or straightway.

After the disaster that was the RC train system, The Lego Group (hereon "TLG") has consolidated the Trains line to use Power Functions (PF). It seems like they'll be sticking with this system for a while, so I hope they've done their research.

Comes in the oversized box TLG loves to do. It's to make sure it gets the most shelf space instore it can, but it makes carrying and storing it troublesome.

p7311127.jpg

Pretty standard for a train box, with a glory shot of the train, and an illustration to point out its size on the side. Power Functions inclusions are displayed to the right. Also includes a layout of the track included.

p7311128.jpg

Back of the box has the now standard minifig in the corner shouting for attention, as if to say "I'm slightly slow!" Lots of smaller boxes show the features of the train, its control system, and a quick plug for the other train related products on sale.

p7311130.jpg

Inside is six numbered bags, one bag of the flexi track (more on that later), four bundles of four curved track, three train bases, one cardboard box, four crushed instruction manuals and an also crushed sticker sheet.

p7311131.jpg

The four instruction manuals are for each carriage of the consist plus one for the platform and signal.

p7311132.jpg

The track included is one circle of track plus 16 flexi track pieces. Personally, I hate the flexi track. It’s too bumpy to be useful. Why there wasn't straight track included instead is beyond me, seeing it needs to be straight to attach the platform.

p7311133.jpg

The sticker sheet. A few large and small train logos, a map for the platform and Lego City displays for the front of the locos. The sheet is left loose inside the box, getting it crushed with all the movement of the parts on top. They really need to fix that. In this review I will not be applying the stickers.

p7311141.jpg

Inside the cardboard box is the power functions items, along with the wheels for the motor and the couplers.

p7311140.jpg

Also loose inside the box is the three white train bases measuring 6 × 24. They have the new large holes in the centre.

Inside polybag one:

p7311142.jpg

Nothing unusual here really. Interesting idea for a rubbish bin though.

p7311147.jpgp7311151.jpg

p7311149.jpgp7311152.jpg

Two minifigs are in this bag: Both have double sided printed torsos – looks like they’re going on holidays. Interesting that the female fig only has her handbag while the male has a suitcase. Where are all her clothes?

p7311153.jpg

Oooh, makes sense now.

p7311155.jpg

Construction of the platform is very simple.

p7311157.jpg

While simple, it does its job of holding impatient minifigs waiting for a train.

p7311158.jpg

Mind you, it is a fair way away from the track and not the right height. Poor ol' Hawaiian shirt guy will have to jump.

p7311159.jpg

The steps are also too steep for my liking, ⅔ per step is my preferred.

p7311160.jpg

Also included is this nice little signal. It can't be animated without mutilating the parts but it looks nice.

Now, onto the locomotive.

dddu.jpg

As with all electronic devices, a whole host of warnings are in the first spread of the instructions, as well as steps on installing the 9 AAA batteries required to get the train to move.

p7311164.jpg

Interesting to note the way the train is constructed: First the body, then both the undercarriage and the roof is added. They are separated into numbered bags.

p7311165.jpg

Parts listing for bag number two. We have our third minifig, a train driver. One thing that irritates is the different coloured glass in the frame. A 3 high panel in transparent black would have been better. Some nice red ladders here too.

p7311169.jpg

The one printed part is the drivers controls, on a black 45° slope.

p7311170.jpg

Minifig we get is the train driver. Generic looking guy really. I'm a fan of the two dots and smile faces, they didn't require a separate face for everyone. I've grown tired of seeing this one's face already. Comes with a dark red hat, no back printing on the torso.

p7311172.jpg

Random instructions shot. No piece callouts, but the piece count is very small and they really only place one part type at a time. It's hard to miss a step.

p7311171.jpg

Finished the build from the first bag. Again, very simple build. Note the black panels to hide the internal components. I'm not sure what the red ladders are supposed to be. Small shelves? Please, enlighten me in a reply.

p7311173.jpg

Parts from bag three: used to finish the roof and undercarriage of the loco. Also uses the power functions items (not pictured). Nice big window. The locomotive front piece is unique too. The cog will come into play as a power button.

p7311175.jpg

The battery box requires six AAA batteries. I needed a pair of pliers to grip the screwdriver, the screws were very tight. Batteries are from Bunnings (my local hardware store). They're cheap, but you can put in some rechargeable AAAs and make yourself an easy rechargeable battery box. Don’t forget to put 3 AAAs into the controller while you’re at it.

p7311180.jpg

The finished Loco. The little technic stalk sticking out acts as the power button. It doesn't work as well as the Cargo train button, and it’s harder to tell if it is on or not, but the roof parts leave little choice. The wires are a bit of a squeeze as well.

I do not like the black panels. It's as if it is supposed to be another fully fledged passenger car, but then its not. I would have preferred a diesel style loco with two identical passenger cars, like 7740. One of the cons of the PF system is that a commuter train like this cannot exist as there needs to be a lot of space used for batteries and the receiver. I don't like the transition to the curved roof either. The front is rather square head on, the curvature doesn't fit. A coupler on the front would be nice too. I do like the fact that it is approximately the same length as the passenger car.

p7311182.jpg

The lack of doors is also a disappointment. Here, Mr. Traindriver needs to clamber in from the front.

p7311183.jpg

Parts bag four is for the passenger car. Similar list of items here.

p7311185.jpg

The only printed part is a round tile with a grill pattern on it.

p7311186.jpg

The passenger car looks really nice. Simple but stylish. Has an aisle down one side. The ends are a bit small for a minifig to pass through however.

p7311188.jpg

The minifigs like it, but how do they get in?

p7311189.jpg

Well of course. By crane. Just watch your step, there's a hole in the floor.

p7311190.jpg

Polybag number five is very similar to number two. It's used to make the second car. Real windows replace the black panels from the loco though, as well as some more tables and chairs.

p7311192.jpg

The assembled bricks looks strikingly similar to the first carriage, except with chairs and tables.

p7311191.jpg

Bag six finished the wheels and roof of the second car. Note the rounded brick to emulate the look of the IR receiver.

p7311194.jpg

Without a motor on this car, we make a brick built bogie.

p7311195.jpg

The finished carriage. This time with red tail lamps. It looks so nice to be able to see inside at that interior. This is how it would have been for both front and back carriages had 9V continued, as then there would be no need for a battery pack.

p7311196.jpg

Again, there is a driver’s compartment.

p7311198.jpg

The Driving and tail cars look very different due to their windows.

p7311199.jpg

The completed train.

p7311201.jpg

The distance between the cars is just perfect - one stud.

p7311204.jpg

Looks about in proportion with the Cargo train - same height, except that the tiles along the top make the passenger car a little taller.

p7311202.jpg

With the Emerald Night.

p7311205.jpg

Brick built looks so much better. May have looked better with grey wheel sets though.

p7311206.jpg

Spare parts. Mmm, cheese.

Is it better than the 4558 Metroliner (aka Everyone's favourite Lego train)? Um, no. But definitely one of the best in a while.

Power functions will definitely change the game. It certainly stifles the creativity of the locomotive - no more storage space inside the loco, but we'll have to get used to it. The motor is very powerful and is helped along by the rubber o-rings on the wheels for grip, but it does have the weight of the battery pack to carry. So my verdict?

Parts: Very basic pieces. But to me that's a good thing - allows you to do more with it. I like the fact that the front is brick built – it’s not perfect but it’s a great start at what brick built can achieve. Lots of nice big trans-black panels too. 8 / 10

Build: Very simple here too. But it is for children so it does what it needs to. 8 / 10

Price: Its expensive, yes. Not as cheap as we were hoping for with PF. But a good way to start your train collection with some PF parts. Some straight track would have helped here though. 7 / 10

Design: Love it. Simple and very smart. Would not be dissimilar to anything around the world, so appeals to many. 9 / 10

Playability: A little shorter than it could be. Some more minifigs would have been nice. If you've got the money for the upgrade, get the Cargo Train instead, comes with more things to do. But this does go very well with the train station. Also pairs with the Hobby train in colours, so it'd be a good way to add to it. 7 / 10

Total: A great little pack. If you can get it discounted, you won't regret it. 8 / 10.

This is one awesome set. why didn't lego put a females face on the girl.

Also when I run this train on flexi track it seems to stall do you have the same problem.

Edited by The Red Brick

Thanks for a good review of this set 'pinioncorp' - a nice addition to the 7939 cargo train set.

I do see the issue with the platform, I shall look in to my 7937 train station to see if this has a problem.

Anyway, it's a great brickbuilt train and with PF more guts too !

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Edited by lightningtiger

Good review, thanks for this!

Set is good, much better than stupid RC Trains. PF system isn't ideal too, I prefare old 9V. But in my opinion this passanger train is interesting - I want this :classic: .

I'm becoming more and more intrigued by this set... Curious if some of the more seasoned train enthusiasts think this is a good starting point to get into the train business??

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

Thanks for the review. It is a pretty good looking train. It would be great if it has some doors.

Great review. This set has quite a few nice pieces (the windscreen piece used as a map on the platform, the trans-black panels, the 2 passenger figs, the new front pieces and others) plus its got a lot of red.

And if you don't like PF (e.g. because you only build 9v) you could always do what I did and buy the set then sell off the PF parts :)

Great review. This set has quite a few nice pieces (the windscreen piece used as a map on the platform, the trans-black panels, the 2 passenger figs, the new front pieces and others) plus its got a lot of red.

And if you don't like PF (e.g. because you only build 9v) you could always do what I did and buy the set then sell off the PF parts :)

That's really smart! I didn't think of that. I complained about the PF big time and I hate the price of the new sets but I could "discount" my cost by selling the PF. Thanks!

I would like the newer train sets more if the 'Train' line SUPPORTED the new sets by having additional rail cars for sale. With the older train sets, I really enjoyed being able to pick up several passenger cars, or freight cars, without having to purchase a whole train set again.

Nice review. This is why I don't collect Trains though. They're too expensive!!! :hmpf_bad:

I certainly like the basic and pretty realistic look of this passenger train. I do agree that the black panels look out of place. The hole in the passenger car floor is ridiculous, but one of the biggest disappointments has to be the lack of doors.

I certainly like the basic and pretty realistic look of this passenger train. I do agree that the black panels look out of place. The hole in the passenger car floor is ridiculous, but one of the biggest disappointments has to be the lack of doors.

I can't explain the hole in the floor, but I think there's no doors to keep the length of the train down.

If they'd added doors, you would have ended up with less interior or a (too?) long car. While I can't see anybody readily complaining about a long car (more bricks), it would probably make it look out of proportion.

Edited by Melfice

I can't just give in and buy one of these...

....I need to wait until I can afford two :)

Has anyone combined two of these sets? I'm figuring that a nifty MOC will produce an extra carriage (or two!).

A couple of extra wheelsets would leave a motor spare for another MOC, one motor is probably enough for maybe four carriages. Or put both motors under one engine for extra pulling power?

Oh...and hi Melfice. You get around ;) Are Andersl and Belugas here too?

Very good review Pinioncorp.

Is it just me or is this train really ugly? I hated the look of it from the first time I saw it.

Train 7740 looks a lot better, and it's 30 years old :(

I would like the newer train sets more if the 'Train' line SUPPORTED the new sets by having additional rail cars for sale. With the older train sets, I really enjoyed being able to pick up several passenger cars, or freight cars, without having to purchase a whole train set again.

No kidding. If they made individual passenger cars for the Emerald Night, I'm sure they'd sell a boatload.

The 9V or RC Motor won't turn correctly with these new baseplates, as the 9V connector will get stuck and the train derails. so tough luck.

I can't just give in and buy one of these...

....I need to wait until I can afford two :)

Has anyone combined two of these sets? I'm figuring that a nifty MOC will produce an extra carriage (or two!).

A couple of extra wheelsets would leave a motor spare for another MOC, one motor is probably enough for maybe four carriages. Or put both motors under one engine for extra pulling power?

Like this:

34664_403251393518_680863518_4448997_6663134_n.jpg

Sadly, you will need the second PF motor, as one of those is lacking in traction. just use two long PF extension gables and an old 2x4 9V electric plate.

Very good review Pinioncorp.

Is it just me or is this train really ugly? I hated the look of it from the first time I saw it.

Train 7740 looks a lot better, and it's 30 years old :(

It's the airport shuttle monorail redone as a train...

I'm with you. While I appreciate the brick built front like the reviewer, I think the overall design and color choice are severely underwhelming. Nothing about this set makes me want to rush out and buy it.

I'm sure the target demographic will like the design and color. :wink:

BTW, is there a close prototype to this one out there?

No kidding. If they made individual passenger cars for the Emerald Night, I'm sure they'd sell a boatload.

Absolutely! It's one of the reasons I haven't picked up that set. What's the point of having ONE rail car? The set would have been better with NO cars, instead of just one!

I think the train is kind of ugly especially with all the slopes in the front. Why can't we have another beautiful passenger train like the metroliner? Shoot, even that yellow and black thing was prettier than this.

LEGO keeps making new designs every time a new train releases, and every time something's wrong with it.

Big molded nose? (7897 and 4511) "Not good. Nose is too ugly, and it's molded! We want it brick-built!"

Brick-built nose, plus canopy, I guess? (7938) "Not good! Nose is too ugly with the slopes!"

Emerald Night (10194)? "Only one car!? What the hell, LEGO!"

LEGO releases separate cars? They remain in the store until they throw it in clearance BECAUSE IT DIDN'T SELL, and then it gets scooped up by Bricklink sellers to sell at outrageous prices due to "rarity". Gee, I wonder why they won't release single cars anymore.

I can imagine LEGO Trains being a very non-lucrative business for LEGO.

I'm grateful for any LEGO train we get.

Honestly, if it's up to the most vocal Trains fans, we'd have nothing but Metroliner clones and knock-offs 'till eternity. And they still wouldn't be satisfied.

EDIT: As for the question about if there's a prototype close to this?

Earlier, in another topic, we mused it could be a mix between a Bombardier Talent and DB Class 425

Edited by Melfice

Of course, with every new release there will be some people who will complain. Possibly those are the most vocal as you said, but I'm sure many of us will admit that design-wise this year's releases are TLG best train sets in a while. As with most Lego sets, and not only trains, many AFOLs will complain about minor issues that can be easily be modified and improved with just a little MOCing, but I suppose that some people want everything perfect straight out of the box! I don't, and I'll be happy to buy one of this year's sets as a starting point and improve it to suit my needs.

And it comes with out a piece of straight track.... What is going on with Lego!!!!!

Remember back when TLG cancelled the 9V line because the metal-clad track was too expensive? And then we were told that with the cheaper, all-plastic track, they'd be able to include lots more track in the train sets? Yeah. Instead, the new train sets are more expensive, and have even less track, than the old 9V stuff. Sigh ...

But anyway, thanks for the nice review. I think it's an okay design, and I certainly like the brick-built nose better than the big one-piece designs from the last few passenger trains.