Sign in to follow this  
JopieK

Crappy Instructions

I made a nice Signal Post, too late for the competion, but I never win so that doesn't matter ;) anyway.

It consists of 1300+ bricks. Generating the instructions is not working very well. I therefor tried to use grouping, but to no avail. Does anyone know tricks to optimize the instructions and let the tool create submodels? I tried to export it to LDraw but too many parts don't show-up (although I installed all new part packs including unofficial ones).

b.t.w. I also notice that putting a 2x2 jumper plate (the new ones) in with a cone and a stick on top (to make a sign), gives troubles: when opening the file it removes either the 2x2 jumper tile or the cone.

Don't know about the instructions, but the jumper plate problem means that one of the bricks is overlapping on another brick, so that a portion of one brick is inside a portion of another brick. By inside I mean inside the outer wall or boundary of the brick's model. I hope that made sense. It's like in certain video games (typically RTS) where a character can walk through instead of around another character, and if the first character stops while walking through the second, you see a fusion of the two units until one of them walks away. My solution would be to try just the jumper plate and rod, and if the jumper plate isn't removed, experiment to see how far down you can slide the cone before it gets removed.

Well, actually this one I know :tongue:

It's due to a bug in LDD regarding double connections. You cannot fasten a rod/bar in a stude with hole and at the same time place a round 1x1 cone or brick.

The only solution is to lift the cone up a bit, so there isn't a double connection anymore (like illustrated in the image below):

31b.jpg

That makes sense Superkalle ;) I'm a software engineer (well, I used to be, not developing but just teaching it nowadays), so finding bugs comes in naturally I guess ;) I'lltry to post pictures of my creations ASAP. But anyway, is there also a way of generating better instructions? The instructions for larger projects are totally unusable I think.

That makes sense Superkalle ;) I'm a software engineer (well, I used to be, not developing but just teaching it nowadays), so finding bugs comes in naturally I guess ;) I'lltry to post pictures of my creations ASAP. But anyway, is there also a way of generating better instructions? The instructions for larger projects are totally unusable I think.

Well, not that I know of. If you want PDF, I'd install a freeware PDF-virtual printer and generate from there.

Well, not that I know of. If you want PDF, I'd install a freeware PDF-virtual printer and generate from there.

Well, I have a Mac so pdf writing is native to the OS. But that is not the problem. The problem is the order of the building instructions. Is it know how the software works to generate the instructions so we can help it creating good submodels etc.?! In LDraw (Bricksmith in my case) it is a lot of work, but it works well since the user decides the order.