Occasionally, I get asked what the chamber is about, what happens there, what it looks like and even what we expect from members who end up there. Today, you get to experience a bit of it and learn about it's purpose.

The chamber is a normally invisible forum that you are allowed to access when you've joined the "Taking a Break" group, usually for board disruptions or other guidelines violations. It is not the same as being banned, though people make that assumption. Instead, it's a place where we can talk to you privately and hopefully work out any problems so that you can return to the forums again. It's really that simple and unless you've done something particularly bad, there is no reason to be scared.

As for looks, recently, with the major board upgrade, I've been skinning some of the forums that didn't previously have dedicated skins, including the chamber. If you look at the bottom left corner of almost any page on EB, you'll see a dropdown box that lets you choose what skin you'd like to use in place of the default skin (currently Summer). One of those is called "Aperture_Chamber" and that's the new chamber skin. Switch to it and you can see exactly what it looks like in there. I'm sure some of you will catch the logo and slogan references and see that we don't want it to be a scary place, but instead have tried to introduce a bit of levity into the situation, while creating a place that is clearly not the same as the rest of the forum so you'll understand the difference.

As for what we expect, it's pretty simple, we expect honesty. If we're faced with obvious lies and excuses, it's very unlikely that the member will ever return to the forums. If you're honest with us, explain what you did, why, and how you can improve/change it, you've got a much greater chance of showing the maturity we look for in a member. Beyond that, the only rules are to read and respond to only your topic. Poking around in other people's business is a quick ticket out, as it shows immaturity and disrespect.

And there it is, the mysterious chamber revealed.

Questions? Comments?

Thanks for explaining that Shadows!

I was wondering what the ''Taking a break'' group was.

Thanks again for telling me about the one forum I wont ever want to be in :sadnew:

Interesting,

So are all the "taking a break" members able to see what happens on in here or only the person in question?

Interesting,

So are all the "taking a break" members able to see what happens on in here or only the person in question?

Only the Chamber. (or at least that's how it was with the "bad kids" rank a few years ago)

Interesting,

If I'm taking your question correctly, chambered members can see each others topics, but are specifically told not to read them (and if they do, they've just greatly improved their odds of being banned instead of returned to the forums).

If that isn't what you're asking, they can't see the main forums while in the chamber unless they log out.

One of those should cover it. :wink:

The top one did :wink:

Thanks Shadows, it makes more sense now.

If I'm taking your question correctly, chambered members can see each others topics, but are specifically told not to read them (and if they do, they've just greatly improved their odds of being banned instead of returned to the forums).

Now someone tells me a year and a half later that you weren't suppose to read all the topics in the chamber. :tongue:

Edited by Dutch

I've been there before. It was quite awhile ago though. I came on the Main page and didn't see any post and scrolled down to the new topics and clicked on one that had a user's name and I was reading it and thinking what is this and then I realized where I was. While I was in The Chamber I was able to view a few forums while I was logged in. I recall the Action Themes and possibly Mini-Fig Customization. I even made a post in the Action Theme Forum. Either it was a glitch or mistake. I have no clue. I do like the new Chamber Banner. "The ship of failure floats on a sea of excuses". I'm glad those days of mine are done. I do have to say the Mods and Admins don't keep bringing it up. They didn't with me at least. It's really nice to be able to put your mistakes behind you. I did have one person, who shall remained unnamed, that made a rather harsh comment about my time there. I didn't understand why as the ordeal had been over for awhile. :wacko:

Best regards,

JCC

Now someone tells me a year and a half later that you weren't suppose to read all the topics in the chamber. :tongue:

It was in your chamber topic title. :tongue:

eep what did I do now? :cry_sad:*huh*:oh:

There's no telling with you. :hmpf_bad:

I'm glad those days of mine are done. I do have to say the Mods and Admins don't keep bringing it up. They didn't with me at least. It's really nice to be able to put your mistakes behind you.

That's a good point. Chambering isn't personal, it's just something we have to do when a problem arises. If the problem is solved, there's no point in it ever being brought up again. If it repeats, of course, then that's a different story.

Thanks for the glimpse into the chamber. People were really making it out to be some sort of dark and scary dungeon.:sadnew: But now I know it's not.

I also have to agree with not bringing up past mistakes. Forgive and forget.

Thanks for explaining that Shadows!

I was wondering what the ''Taking a break'' group was.

Thanks again for telling me about the one forum I wont ever want to be in :sadnew:

Irony at its best right here.

I have a random question. Has a chambered individual ever eventually become a staff member, current or past? Of course no names are needed, just a yes, or a no, or a shut it Cam.

Irony at its best right here.

I have a random question. Has a chambered individual ever eventually become a staff member, current or past? Of course no names are needed, just a yes, or a no, or a shut it Cam.

Not to my knowledge - and shut it Cam :wink:

Not to my knowledge - and shut it Cam :wink:

LOL, thanks for the answer Kim. Do I also thank you for the title, I should have seen coming or was that shadows lurking in the, um...well himself I guess. :sweet:

I was in the chamber, and I was confused where all the forums had gone. So I looked through the topics, then I saw the sticky at the top saying read only your topic. I thought they were going to ban me for looking at the other topics, I was like :oh3: But thankfully it wasn't as bad as I thought, and I learned my lesson.

Believe it or not but I think that the Chamber skins are very nice, the silver background is a lot catchier than the summer banner. I think I might just keep it.

Edited by Ratshot

Believe it or not but I think that the Chamber skins are very nice, the silver background is a lot catchier than the summer banner. I think I might just keep it.

I wouldn't do that. Too many bad memories.

Once I was in the Chamber and there were about four forums avaiable... i forget which one's though. I remember when I first joined, and I thought 'taking a break' meant they were gone for a while default_tong.gif

LOL, thanks for the answer Kim. Do I also thank you for the title, I should have seen coming or was that shadows lurking in the, um...well himself I guess. :sweet:

It wasn't and shut it Cam. :tongue:

I've been using it as my default skin when I'm not testing another. :wink:

Okay this is so unfair. Why do the people who are being "bad" get the cool portal refrences? This is my new skin. Period, end of story. Please don't take it away staff. (Yes I'm rather obsessesed with portal, see my profile page.)

It wasn't and shut it Cam. :tongue:

I've been using it as my default skin when I'm not testing another. :wink:

:tongue:

I concur, its a sweet theme, and the fail message is classic

The founder of our website actually got banned in the chamber for being 11, funny, we who are 18-21 are payed paychecks every friday by an 11-year-old.

The founder of our website actually got banned in the chamber for being 11, funny, we who are 18-21 are payed paychecks every friday by an 11-year-old.

No, he was actually banned for another reason, but I don't think I'm allowed to say.