Sign in to follow this  
Superkalle

LDD Design Challenge #5

OK ladies and gentlemen - let's have some fun with a small Design Challenge. I picked this one up from a previous discussion here at the forum. The challenge is pretty straight forward. Create the below model, and explain with screenshots how you did it.

Macaroni-Cirkel.jpg

I like this kind of challenges very much.

My way would be like shown below. :)

Is it possible by some other principle?

ldd_challenge_05.png

I don't have screen shots but I would think use a turntable, 4x4 plate and the second level of bricks. Rotate the turntable however much you need to and then just move the bricks on top of the first level.

I like this kind of challenges very much.

My way would be like shown below. :)

Is it possible by some other principle?

[snip]

Ooh, quite clever. I'd bee thinking something along these lines, but I couldn't get it too work. Kudos to you, sir. :thumbup:

EDIT: was I not supposed to comment? :blush: Sorry if I wasn't supposed to. Is it possible to delete posts?

Edited by Brickdoctor

No problem to comment Brickdoctor. This is just a LDD challenge. The challenges are more laid-back :tongue: The contest is a different matter though... :wink:

And to LegoDejc I say - excellent solution.

Below is my variant. I used the green 4x4 plate to lock the placement of the remaining three macaronis. However, it's important that the first macaroni is turned to the right spot so it alignes perfectly with the bottom layer (step 3). You have to zoom in in LDD to see that it's right.

Challenge5-MySolution.jpg

I tryed the very same technique, but my macaroni wouldnt snap on the other, because of the stud...

I tryed the very same technique, but my macaroni wouldnt snap on the other, because of the stud...

I'm not sure what you mean? To get the green plate method to work you have to rotate the first macaroni so it's fits on the circle of the below macaronis, and you have to make sure that it is really inline with the circle. Then it's just a matter of snapping the remaining three in place.

Hm, that's strange. Have you used the right macaroni? There are two in the brick palette, the old mold without internal braces, and the new one with braces. Only the old one will work.

No, I am stuck by rotation of the first one... I cant rotate it in a correct position...

Me too. I did exactly as the picture you showed, but it doesn't work for me. And we need a way to put the macaroni brick perfectly in the middle so we can build the Y-Wing properly :grin:

AND, I just realised that it doesn't work with 4x4 round bricks :sadnew:

Edited by prateek

Me too. I did exactly as the picture you showed, but it doesn't work for me.

Did you use the OLD macaroni-brick in the palette? Have a look under the brick. There shall be no braces.

Did you use the OLD macaroni-brick in the palette? Have a look under the brick. There shall be no braces.

Never mind. It works when there are macaroni pieces on the bottom, but it doesn't work with the 4x4 round brick. That's what I need to find out.

Never mind. It works when there are macaroni pieces on the bottom, but it doesn't work with the 4x4 round brick. That's what I need to find out.

OK, no prob. And you're right - it probably doesn't work with the 4x4 round brick/plate.

I'm sorry to bump an old topic, but this seemed like the most appropriate place to ask.

Regarding the macaroni stack described above, it can be seen that the levels are stacked unevenly -- this can be clearly seen in the captures below:

6805592210_cee003c23d.jpg

6951743257_0946d5c062.jpg

Compare the angle covered on the yellow part with that on the purple part. This happens even if I use the latest version of the macaroni, with extra bracing inside. Such a strange offset wouldn't even be possible with real bricks. :wacko:

Is there any way to stack the macaroni so that the offset between each level is exactly 45 degrees? I am trying to use this technique to achieve a 45 degree shift in stud orientation on a cylinder, but the actual angle achieved (50-something degrees) is useless for my purpose. Any ideas? :cry_happy:

@ Fugazi: Did you heed Superkalle's advice below?

Hm, that's strange. Have you used the right macaroni? There are two in the brick palette, the old mold without internal braces, and the new one with braces. Only the old one will work.

@ Fugazi: Did you heed Superkalle's advice below?

Yes, I tried both types with the same result.

Is there any way to stack the macaroni so that the offset between each level is exactly 45 degrees?

Doesn't Rotation Tool reach the goal?

Doesn't Rotation Tool reach the goal?

Do you mean the Hinge Tool? Or is there another rotation tool I don't know about? I'm really a noob at LDD.

If I understand correctly, you're question is somehow actually two:

First you're asking if it's possible to do a true 45 degree offset, using the old macaroni. My answer is that it's most likekly not possible. LDD relies a lot on the snap-to-stud functionality, which for the most part is a really handy feature making LDD ultra fast to use. But in this case it's "working against you" since you cannot float stud connection.

Then you're saying it's possible to do the offset (like with the od macaroni), with the new one. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly how it's possible. The screenshot you show is using the old Macaroni. But you're saying you can do the same with the new? I've tried it and tried it, but can't make it happen. Can you explain how you did?

Then you're saying it's possible to do the offset (like with the od macaroni), with the new one. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly how it's possible. The screenshot you show is using the old Macaroni. But you're saying you can do the same with the new? I've tried it and tried it, but can't make it happen. Can you explain how you did?

It shouldn't be possible. Physically, this technique isn't possible with the new macaroni. If it is possible, it's got to be a bug in LDD.

In other news, looking back through this topic has given me a glimpse of how n00bish my posts sounded when my account was two days old. :laugh:

In other news, looking back through this topic has given me a glimpse of how n00bish my posts sounded when my account was two days old. :laugh:

:laugh:

(I don't even dare look at my own...)

First you're asking if it's possible to do a true 45 degree offset, using the old macaroni. My answer is that it's most likekly not possible. LDD relies a lot on the snap-to-stud functionality, which for the most part is a really handy feature making LDD ultra fast to use. But in this case it's "working against you" since you cannot float stud connection.

Thank you. This explains why rotating the assembly to achieve a different offset from the one 'built-in' is not possible in LDD.

My mistake. I offset a row of new macaroni under one of old macaroni, but offsetting two rows of new macaroni proved impossible indeed! :sweet: