this is my new ship project, it is WIP.

The sloop HMS Borea.

001.jpg

Here more pictures:

Brickshelf

What do you think?

I am pleased about your ideas.

Capt. K

I like it. I would think about one thing, I'm not sure if the LEGO ratlines and the custom string rigging work so well together. But it's not a big deal. I think... :pir-grin: And if it is a sloop, it should have two masts, but yours looks so big you need three...

indeed, Sloop`s were usually one or two mast`s so you have to take one mast down, i would also make the ship a bit shorter couse it would made the ship looks much realistic, otherly it good ship. Keep it up

Captain Becker

EDIT: Heres the pic what sloops looked like

sloop.jpg

(Sry if the pic is a bit too big, just say so ill resize it)

Edited by Captain Becker

indeed, Sloop`s were usually one or two mast`s so you have to take one mast down, i would also make the ship a bit shorter couse it would made the ship looks much realistic, otherly it good ship. Keep it up

Captain Becker

EDIT: Heres the pic what sloops looked like

sloop.jpg

(Sry if the pic is a bit too big, just say so ill resize it)

Or, just say that it's not a sloop and say it's just a really powerful ship. :pir-tongue: Go bluecoats!

I would remove the yards on the bottom of each mast, that's not very realistic.

Except for that small point it's a very nice ship though :pir-classic:

I like the way you made all the things on deck like the compass house and the shutters (with the windows).

The 'crows nests' are quite big IMO but overall it's a good MOC.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

I like it. I would think about one thing, I'm not sure if the LEGO ratlines and the custom string rigging work so well together. But it's not a big deal. I think... And if it is a sloop, it should have two masts, but yours looks so big you need three...

A sloop with three masts, please look here:

http://www.bolitho-und-co.de/hintergrund/schiffe/nichtklassifiziert.htm#sloops

Capt. K

My bad, most ships (sloops) have only two. But I guess they can. Sorry for criticizing you.

This is not a problem! She looks like a frigate. Is just only smaller.

The 'crows nests' are quite big IMO but overall it's a good MOC.

Yes, I think this now, too. I will revise her.

Thanks, Capt. K

When speaking of British warships of the 18th and 19th centuries, you'll find a lot of contradictory terms and designations, particularly when it comes to classifying vessels. Though the maritime slang referring to a single masted vessel was "Sloop", it is more correct to refer to such vessels as cutters or ketches. As far as defining a "Man of War" as a "Sloop" or not, anything with less than 20 guns qualifies, regardless of it's number of masts or sails. "Cutters", "Brigs" and even "Ship Rigged Sloops" all qualify. The distinction is not made based on the size of the ship at all but rather it's commander. If the ship has less than 20 guns and proportionally less crew, it can be commanded by a "Lieutenant in Command". That is an officer wearing only on epaulet, holding the rank of "Lieutenant in Command" or easily refereed to as "Commander". However it is important to note that a commander is addressed as "Captain" as a matter of courtesy. A ship baring 20 or more guns and a proportionally larger crew warrants a "Post Captain" or higher rank and there fore is a rated ship.

You Have a fine vessel here, a lovely sloop. I particularly like the color scheme. Though you fighting tops, those platforms suspended from the masts, are huge, that could be quite an advantage in a fight. I also tend to agree that the Lego ratlines would be better replaced with string rigging. I find embroidery thread answers well, it's very inexpensive and comes in a plethora of colors.

Hope I didn't get too preachy

Impresive, I love the color squeme, congrats, nice MOC

I only see one thing that can improved even more, the hull at the stern is rounded, but its continuation (the white part) is a little squared, as you show in this picture

007.jpg

I think an adaptation of the hull from the Imperial Flag Ship 10210 can work here, but still remains a wonderful ship :thumbup:

oh sorry about critism about the three masts, i didnt knew at they was three masted sloops. well hope you enjoy at making ur sloop and i wish good luk for it, btw you may want to call the master of ridding, Perfectionist :pir-tongue: just kidding, but he has the skill indeed

Captain Becker

Wow, well done indeed mate! I like how well you paid attention to the deck detailing, and also managed to focus on making a beautiful ship in the process :pir-classic: Also, I actually really like how the plastic ratlines with custom string rigging look, it also gives the ship a more playable look, and honestly just makes it more playable.

(you don't know pain in the butt until you try detaching a deck covered in custom rigging to look at the inside, only to find out you attached it completely wrong and can;t get it off :pir_bawling: )

To be honest, i always hated that old bow desing but that looks much better now, keep it up mate.

And you mught want to make you own made ridding and rope ladders, and (if ossible) adding a middle beck. Otherly She looks amazing

Captain Becker

I like it, like the shape of the ship, like where the masts are placed, a very nice ship ! great job!

That's a nice ship. I also like the changes you've made.

Still, I would swap the prefab masts and rigging vs brickbuild mast and custom rigging!

It's a lot of wor and somewhat expensive, but IMO really worth it!

Thank you for your help and answers! :thumbup:

Here is the next update of my ship.

I have put tiles on the deck and the masts are changed.

And i will make custom rigging!

015.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

What do you think?

Capt. K

OH that's really looking good. With the masts clear I can picture the rigging in place. The brown tiles really make the deck pop too, it actually looks like wood. Keep up the good work!

I would give the mizzen mast 1 or 2 more yards but the rest of this ship is good :thumbup:

I like the 'open' gundeck with all the details on it and the tiles as well.

Nice job, are you going to give it sails too? or just 'rope rigging'?