Sign in to follow this  
jamzee

Powering Holiday Train 10173

traintech1.jpg

Hi everyone

I'm looking to RC power the Holiday Train with what I've just found at LS@H (8866 motor) with IR reciever & battery etc but I can't quite see how power gets to the 8866 motor - the description on LS@H says add 8886 which I understand but physically where does that plug onto the 8866? - space is at a premium and I'm looking to fix buffers to the studs on 8866 but does the power plug fit on them?

Thanks for any help!

the description on LS@H says add 8886 which I understand but physically where does that plug onto the 8866?

It attaches to a 2x2 square of studs at the middle of one end of the motor, the ones with the metal bits slightly visible on them.

Super, thanks alot, I thought I caught a glimpse of the contacts in the pic of the motor but it is hard to tell. This might be a bit of a struggle MOCing it re power then as need the buffers to attach there (both ends) - has anyone figured it out?!

Thanks in advance for any help

One possibility would be to get the newer power functions train motor, as seen in the two new train sets. With that the power functions cable is integrated into the unit, so you could place things on the studs at either end (visually it is a pretty similar shape to the old 8866 motor).

Don't think Lego are selling them seperately yet though so they aren't an entirely cheap option. Bricklink, maybe?

Hi everyone

I'm looking to RC power the Holiday Train with what I've just found at LS@H (8866 motor) with IR reciever & battery etc but I can't quite see how power gets to the 8866 motor - the description on LS@H says add 8886 which I understand but physically where does that plug onto the 8866? - space is at a premium and I'm looking to fix buffers to the studs on 8866 but does the power plug fit on them?

Thanks for any help!

This train was the last 9V train (together with the hobby train). It was meant to be powered with a 9V motor in the tender (instructions could be downloaded from lego.com at the time and I'm sure they can still be found somewhere).

To make it work as a battery train, the first question is where does the battery box go? (which battery box are you using?)

This train was the last 9V train (together with the hobby train). It was meant to be powered with a 9V motor in the tender (instructions could be downloaded from lego.com at the time and I'm sure they can still be found somewhere).

To make it work as a battery train, the first question is where does the battery box go? (which battery box are you using?)

Thanks for your help, I was provisionally planning to put the new-style battery box 8878 in the passenger carriage or squash it in the tender.

It seems the chassis of the train though would be too small if the power connects to the motor where the studs are on it as the buffers would need to go there.

Strangely I can't quite see how this new motor would work as a wheel unit either which would usually swivel when the train went around a corner as if the power lead is plugged in the studs on that would then interfere with the underside of the train (wouldn't they)? All very odd...

Edited by jamzee

Thanks for your help, I was provisionally planning to put the new-style battery box 8878 in the passenger carriage or squash it in the tender.

It seems the chassis of the train though would be too small if the power connects to the motor where the studs are on it as the buffers would need to go there.

Strangely I can't quite see how this new motor would work as a wheel unit either which would usually swivel when the train went around a corner as if the power lead is plugged in the studs on that would then interfere with the underside of the train (wouldn't they)? All very odd...

The train base plates (e.g. the base of the passenger car in the holiday train set) has three holes in the front, and three in the back. The pin of the motor can go in there. Then closer to the middle of the base plate there are two larger openings, these are there so you can run an electric cable between the motor and something else (a light in the 9V system, or the electrical power supply for the RC system).

You can also go to the lego costumer service website, where you can download instructions for lego sets. Download the instructions of 7938 or of 7939. There you can see how to use the power functions train motor. The same should also work for the passenger car of the holiday train.

You can also go to the lego costumer service website, where you can download instructions for lego sets. Download the instructions of 7938 or of 7939. There you can see how to use the power functions train motor. The same should also work for the passenger car of the holiday train.

You'd be better looking at the older RC trains, 7897 or 7898, since they both used that particular motor.

You'd be better looking at the older RC trains, 7897 or 7898, since they both used that particular motor.

If you have the motor from those trains, then to connect it to the new power functions (battery box, remote control)

you'll need this cable: lego item 8886 Extension wire. It fits on both the old 9V connections, as well as on the new ones

used by the power functions items.

So apart from that motor, you'll need 8886 cable, a battery box (8878 is the easiest to hide in a train because it's the smallest one). That will get the train to move, but if you want to be able to control the train, you'll also need item 8884 and 8879.

In any case, the instructions for the new trains should tell you exactly how to do it, except if you have the motor from 7897/7898 then in addition to what you see in the instructions, you'll need cable 8886 as well.