Sign in to follow this  
Dave Shaddix

MOC: R2-D2

gallery_101_23_281.gif

4715399993_d8442f9e53.jpg

Last week I decided to teach myself how to build spheres and contoured shapes (the football, Mork, and plenty of unphotographed tablescrap). Around 6:30 last Friday night, I thought it would be cool to apply my new knowledge and build R2-D2. I thought it would be even cooler if I could take the model to my LUG meeting today. So, using a voice command R2-D2 as a reference, I sat down around just before 7PM and started building and didn’t stop until just after midnight when I had a 12.5” astro-mech droid sitting on my desk.

It’s not movie accurate, but its close enough for me this time around. Bear in mind that this is my VERY FIRST attempt at building anything like this. Given my self-imposed time constraints, available brick and lack of experience, I think it turned out pretty good. I may certainly revisit this project later on and take my time to get a much cooler little droid.

Deep Links

great job! i'm not an expert, but to me this looks amazing! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

AWESOME 'Dave' just flamming AWESOME ! :laugh:

A really great brickbuilt R2, fantastic use of greys and blues plus the white 2x1 grills spot on ! :grin:

Great work again and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Wow, that's a great R2-D2 maxifig, impressive work Dave! pirate_thumbup.gif You got every detail on point, and you even put a bonus space logo in there, simply love it!

Very realistic(or at least as realistic as blocks can get). I love all of the detail, and especially the "eye" thingy. Great MOC!

Very nice MOC dave! Impressive so much detail in just a few hours!! Does the middle leg retract into the R2 unit??

Thanks guys, this was a fun build. To answer the middle leg question, it does move but it does not retract. I am considering a retractable leg for my next hack at this, but we'll see how it goes. Power Functions may be the best way to handle that.

Very nice! As a next step, try using plates and wedges to smooth out the shape. IMO, the 'feet' don't cry out 'R2 unit' to me.

This is really a great MOC. I always love the details of a minifigure that can be put into a brick built representation of the fig.

Looks good to me! A fun looking MoC. And you put it together so quickly too.

Inspires me to get some MoC's finished that are in various stages of development.I'm procrastinating.

Love to see more of what you come up with.