Sign in to follow this  
OGEL646

Modern SW vs. Traditional SW

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I personally find it quite interesting to compare the traditional SW sets to the recent ones... I don't know what you guys think about but below are my opinions:

To me, Lego Star Wars has 3 significant eras:

1) The traditional sets: 1999 - 2004;

LSW starts in 1999 with mainly small sets no more than USD $50. You can get the super rare Yoda and Dooku simultaneously for only 7 bucks... Looking at the sets now, you have to pay 50 + 55 = 105 to get them in the new CW sets... :wacko:

The most obvious feature of sets releasing in this era is that the figures are in yellow faces... which indeed, is a point that I don't like those figures compared to the later ones. The printings on the torsos are simple too. I can fully understand as at that time SW was still not a priority line...

2) The improved sets: 2005 - 2008;

The SW became more popular during this era and LEGO had changed the figures' color into flesh. The sets has seen a rise in prices but still affordable. There were still nice small sets for you to obtain your beloved figures :classic:

3) The recent sets: 2008 - current

Now we can all sense a huge increase in prices. Most sets are above $50 and you can only expect for a few minifigs, and only partial of them are deemed to be good...

Most sets are now based on Clone Wars which the figures has unprecedented BIG EYES!! To me, I love small eyes more...

The advantage of sets in this period is that the design is awesome. Many sets are accurate and come with different playabilities.

Overall, the SW line is improving every year. I just hope TLG doesn't rise the prices that often...

I'm more than happy to pay the higher prices for the newer smoother designs and the more accurate fleshy figs.

I agree with Big Cam, I do love the fleshy figs and more streamlined look. But i do agree with you, OGEL, that I do not really like the Clone Wars, they seem too cartooney, but i guess thats because its a cartoon series :laugh:

I'm a fan of the recent sets that are more streamlined. Most of the modern minifigs are nice with the exception of the hideous CW faces. I would, however, like to see the faces used in yellow.

I honestly like sets from each era that you've listed.

Early days - The majority of the Star Wars sets that I have are from the first few years that they were released. At the time I was just so happy to have Star Wars Lego that I would gobble up everything I could find. Many of these early models are quite primitive by todays standards, however I still find them all very appealing. Just looking at the original X-wing and Millenium Falcon in my hands right now, I really like these. Of course I'm a sucker for that studded look on sets, but certainly those early years have a special place in my heart.

2005-2008 - I have significantly less sets from this era (something I greatly regret). There was a lot of good content during this time and many remakes were done of those original sets. Those I love all the originals, many of these remakes were indisputably superior. I generally prefer yellow headed figs, but I won't complain about the switch to flesh colour.

2008-present - With the introduction of Clone Wars sets, I find lots of these (for me) are either love it or hate it. I don't follow the cartoons and whatnot at all, so I have no connection to quite a lot of the sets. Other Clone War stuff, such as remakes of the Gunship and AT-TE I simply love. We've also started to see a lot of battle back type sets which I think are a fantastic idea. Though I don't army build myself, I appreciate the value in these sets. I've been disappointed that there have been fewer original trilogy sets, but at least the ones that have been released (such as Battle of Endor) have for the most part been amazing. The cost of Lego across the board seems to have been rising constantly over the years, but even more noticeably with Star Wars. On one hand, the set designs are much more accurate these days, but models are littered with stickers. I guess it's all the bad experiences with stickers in the past that still make me afraid of them.

In any case, there has certainly been something for everyone over the years, and I very much look forward to the future of this franchise.

I'd say 2005-2008 as they made fairly decent sets at reasonable prices without gigantic eyes!

And gotta love phase II troopers!

Big cam: I have the same feeling and I can't wait for the latest Boba Fett!!!

Admiral Ron: I think most people hate the hideous big eyes... Now this trend has also extended to the classic figures... Look at the new Luke and Han Solo...

Arthas: It's a pity that yellow faces may never come back... Fortunately I love flesh faces

ZO6: Yup each era does have unique characteristic which cannot replace each other. I think the reason that the sets during 2005-08 were cheap because LEGO was losing market share at that time and tried hard to maintain low price to gain customers. Look at TLG's income statements for recent years... It's the main reason that they are now bold enough to rise price. (My opinion)

Here are 2 sharp examples:

1) 7259(2005,$40,396p) vs. 8088(2010,$60,396p)

These 2 ARC-170 have the same size, figure #, and even piece count! But the price are totally different... Maybe you pay $20 for Kit Fisto? Aha that's still better than getting one on eBay though :devil:

2) 6209(2006,$50,537p) vs. 8097(2010,$80,573p)

These 2 Slave I are observed to have similar size and piece count, and same figure #. But now you pay additional $30 for the extra 36 pieces. Now do the math... :yoda:

BrickClick: I also love the phrase II troopers! :vader:

Edited by OGEL646

As a big Lego SW fan like most of you guys, it's really hard to choose between the older and the current SW sets, it's like choosing which of your kids is your most favorite. The most simple answer is that I simply love all SW sets, from the first ones to the current ones.

Though, in the context of comparison, of course the current SW sets are much better looking, because of the introduction of new pieces that weren't available during the early years of Lego SW. But still, you gotta admit that during the early days, the first SW sets (X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE, etc) were very much appreciated by most fans.

Regarding the CW sets, I agree that the only major criticism is the cartooney faces of the minifigs, but you have to admit the sets are still pretty cool.

The SW became more popular during this era and LEGO had changed the figures' color into flesh. The sets has seen a rise in prices but still affordable. There were still nice small sets for you to obtain your beloved figures :classic:

I've gotta disagree with you here. Roughly between 2004 and 2008, Lego had the best pricing on their sets that they've ever had when it comes to price per part ratio. The prices during this time were outstanding. People throw around the 10 cent per piece ratio quite a bit, but historically Lego has been more expensive than that. It was only during those roughly 5 years where you actually could consistently get 10 pieces for a dollar or even better in some cases.

Enjoying newer sets more than old. Sleeker, more pieces, cooler figs. I enjoy the Clone Wars era stuff a lot. Really don't have a issue with price. I think the $100 or thereabouts the large sets are going for is fair. If a set is $50 I'm not shocked by it. You can spend that and more for a night out on the town. So....skip a night out raising $*&^ and have a extra set for the kids and I to play with.

Most of my SW is after 2008, except a hand full of ROTS picked up cheap MISB lucky me and that wonderful 2005 X-wing with all those minifigs ! :yoda:

I don't mind paying a higher price for better figures, components and weapons - it's more SW to me - so may the force be with us and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Gotta love those.

I've got tons of the older SW sets, but like several of you, I missed a lot of the sets between 2003-2008. Unfortunately, I think many of those were the best SW sets.

Many of the new sets have a great sleek look, and I definitely like the fleshies. However, I do find the stickers as a huge downside; they're hard to put on perfectly, often stick out (case in point, Republic emblems on the A-wing from the Mon Calamari Cruiser), and if you want to take them off, the stickers don't really go on again :wacko::thumbdown: .

Edited by Blackicep8ntball

However, I do find the stickers as a huge downside; they're hard to put on perfectly, often stick out (case in point, Republic emblems on the A-wing from the Mon Calamari Cruiser), and if you want to take them off, the stickers don't really go on again :wacko::thumbdown: .

I like to just not use the stickers. I keep them in a separate bin, and then use them for detailing on SNOT MOCs. Example: On my UCS V-Wing, I used a transparent Republic emblem sticker from the Clone BP on the wing, and I used a pair of window stickers from the AT-TE to end the dark red forked stripe. The new plastic stickers, you have to admit, are a lot better than the old laminated paper ones. I have/had the UCS Naboo Starfighter, and after a couple years the stickers just deteriorated.

I The new plastic stickers, you have to admit, are a lot better than the old laminated paper ones. I have/had the UCS Naboo Starfighter, and after a couple years the stickers just deteriorated.

Definitely granted. The new sticks are quite a step up; unfortunately that A-wing is an example of how the old paper junk still got into a newer set. And I could survive a little better if they wouldn't go so far as to use sticks even on the control panels; that just seems a little cheap :hmpf_bad: but oh well.

Definitely granted. The new sticks are quite a step up; unfortunately that A-wing is an example of how the old paper junk still got into a newer set. And I could survive a little better if they wouldn't go so far as to use sticks even on the control panels; that just seems a little cheap :hmpf_bad: but oh well.

On the A-wing, the targeting panel is printed. Only the cruiser control panels are stickers. As a general rule, I think LEGO is using the plastic stickers for whatever stickers are going to require a transparent portion, since the paper ones have to be cheaper. I'm not against the stickers as control panels, as long as they're on flat surfaces. As far as I know, only the Midi-Falcon has stickers on a rounded surface.

I have never really had a problem with stickers, they're just impossible to take off after 7 or so years.

That's the problem. :tongue:

I have never really had a problem with stickers, they're just impossible to take off after 7 or so years.

Fortunately sticker is not a problem for me either. But I actually spend much time aiming the stickers after building up sets. However, the satisfaction of putting stickers in place is immense.

If applied properly, the stickers are fine. The stickers from my Arctic theme collection see no problem so far. But you may acquire some extra through bricklink just in case.

My favourite era was 2004-2008. This is when Lego released those cool new and improved Rebel ships, like the X,Y,A,B-Wings and Snowspeeder. They also did PT sets, which were nice too. The only thing that was missing from this era is Endor sets, which were released last year.

I'm torn between old and new SW sets; I prefer the flesh heads but I like the simplicity of design on the old torsos. I also like that with the old Lego sets there was the challenge of making something look as good as it possibly could within the limitations of the bricks available. At the same time I like the slickness and movie accuracy that has been added in recent years. But don't like the use of huge panels/pieces that complete massive areas of models without the need for actual building. I don't like stickers either. I'm clearly very fussy and a little indecisive.

Fortunately sticker is not a problem for me either. But I actually spend much time aiming the stickers after building up sets. However, the satisfaction of putting stickers in place is immense.

If applied properly, the stickers are fine. The stickers from my Arctic theme collection see no problem so far. But you may acquire some extra through bricklink just in case.

Unfortunately, my Arctic stickers deteriorated into sticky clumps a long time ago.

I really hate the Clone Wars. Nothing about it seems Star Wars-y to me. Even less so than the new trilogy, which was a disaster in itself.

But that's not the point of this topic... I have been much more impressed with recent Star Wars sets than I have been with SW sets in the past, but I have been completely unable to afford ANY of them lately because of the utter ridiculous hike in prices.

So I guess I prefer the older ones, when I could afford them. Of course, there's no denying the excellent aesthetics of the new sets. But it's hardly worth the price point.

I've gotta disagree with you here. Roughly between 2004 and 2008, Lego had the best pricing on their sets that they've ever had when it comes to price per part ratio. The prices during this time were outstanding. People throw around the 10 cent per piece ratio quite a bit, but historically Lego has been more expensive than that. It was only during those roughly 5 years where you actually could consistently get 10 pieces for a dollar or even better in some cases.

Yup you are correct. What I meant was that Lego Started to release bigger sets, of course also came with more pieces. And once again the prices were relatively low as TLG was losing market share at that time.

If LEGO had all the variety and better pieces of today (useful ones, mind you, not like 2x4 tiles that scream, 'put a sticker on me!')combined with the simplicity of the classic minifigures and the aim for ACCURACY with newer UCS sets, it would be perfect. Stickers are fine with me - there are some really old LEGO minifigures with stickers for torso detail...

You really can't prefer different eras of LEGO Star Wars because it's too much like comparing apples and oranges... the old sets were less about accuracy and more about fun. The newer sets , while certainly a bit more accurate, are an attempt to overjuniorize the industry with huge and unnecessarily molded pieces, ultimately contributing to the dumbing down of America - to the point that LEGO has to steal designs from PepaQuin and dmac.