Sign in to follow this  
DLuders

BIG 100,000-Piece Lego Mindstorms Chessboard

Here is a HUMONGOUS "Giant Lego Mindstorms Chessboard" being shown this weekend at Brickworld 2010 near Chicago, Illinois USA: http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/giant-lego-mindstorms-chessboard-fills-entire-room-20100614/ . "It’s called Monster Chess, and consists of a chessboard the size of a large room populated with Lego chess robots. Control of those robots is handled wirelessly from a tablet PC. The user selects which chess piece to move on the screen and after a short delay the action is carried out on the board."

There are two YouTube videos available at that webpage. Some quick statistics about this creation:

Has over 100,000 Lego pieces total (37,612 pieces in the chess board, 17,748 pieces in the robot bases, 17,114 pieces in the bodies, and 22,688 pieces in the mosaics) !

"The size of the board is 14.5 square meters *oh2* , and the total cost of building everything came to US$30,000. This was no small project with four people spending a year creating it using the C# programming language and LabVIEW for the robots. There was of course a lot of Lego pieces to be put together too."

MonsterChess-580x435.jpg

Edited by dluders

Jeeezuz! *huh*

Is the entire board tiled or does it just look like that?

Wow this is really an awesome achievement :thumbup:

Amazing. This is one of the largest Lego creations I have ever seen. The chess pieces are quite cleverly designed too and have their own unique functions.

I hope they bring it to Brickfair later this summer too. This would be great to see in person.

Is the entire board tiled or does it just look like that?

It does seem to be tiled, after looking at the image here.

Edited by CP5670

That is brilliant. Im constantly amazed by what people come up with while using lego. I dont really know much about mindstorms, but having watched that i think i will look into it !

I have slready seen this one on Lowlug, and it's sooooo incredible, huge & mind(storm)blowing !! And those horses moving their legs, just brilliant.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop