Cooper

MOCs: 7 wide Passenger Cars

traintech1.jpg

As much as I love the Emerald Night, like many others I was left wanting more passenger cars.

Initially I just wanted more coaches, but that soon evolved into a desire to have the coachs be wider and longer. In the end, that lead to settling in on a 7 wide by 46 long platform on which to build the basis for a fleet of passenger cars to tow behind my Cab Forward (and another large steam engine that is still a WIP).

The image below is the current state of my passenger car fleet

4701617239_d9a198932c_b.jpg

If you click on the image, or follow this link to my flickr there are links to each of the passenger car variations with higher res images.

Simply: WOW! Nice work and I would love to see them behind the Emerald Express taking some Minifigs on a nice vacation. :thumbup:

Nice!

Are some of these UK Mk1s without the middle doors (for selective compression)?

Mark

Very nice selection you have there 'Cooper' - lovely luggage, dinning and sleeper cars too !

AWESOME work and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Are some of these UK Mk1s without the middle doors (for selective compression)?

The line of thought wasn't quite that clear, although elements of that were involved.

• The color scheme of the MK1s was certainly an inspiration
  • I intentionally constrained the design to only 46 studs long so that the coaches did not look too ungainly navigating curves and switches.
  • That said, similar coaches from South Africa were also an influence. Ref 1 | Ref 2 | Ref 3
  • Since these coaches run with my Southern Pacific Cab Forward, the coaches were Americanized by not utilizing buffers.

That was the original jumping off point anyway. :classic:

Absolutely amazing collection you've built Cooper !!!

So well-balanced proportions and realistic colour-schemes, I really appreciate you're

avoiding the classic bright Lego colours, and instead use tan, dark red, dark green etc

which adds so much more realism to my point of view.

I just wonder (as always when seeing those long coaches) how they manage points and turns ?

Very well done.

Edited by Selander

Wow, those waggons are really amazing! Pretty detailed and a huge variety of different waggons! That's brilliant! Are you also planning on creationg very detailed freight waggons?

I just wonder (as always when seeing those long coaches) how they manage points and turns ?

I'm asking myself the same question!

Wow, I've followed your imgaes on Flickr for some time and I can just say I'm impressed!

I really love how you managed to have those different carriages, some with totally different design, some with the same with just subtle changes to them. They are a great example of how Lego can actually be used to build models of professional quality.

I'd love to see them run in person...

These look great especially the one with the graffiti on the side!

I too would love to see them behind the Emerald Knight.

Great work :thumbup:

Amazing work you've done there. I especially like the wood paneling on your cars. I can't wait to see them behind your excellent cab forward! I've always loved seeing that old SP at the train museum.

I really appreciate you're avoiding the classic bright Lego colours, and instead use tan, dark red, dark green etc which adds so much more realism to my point of view.

Thanks. I have intentionally been trying to stick with color schemes that convey something a little more mature.

I really love how you managed to have those different carriages, some with totally different design, some with the same with just subtle changes to them.

It's been a bit of a challenge at times and some of these have been rebuilt a few times in order to preserve some kind of overall fit color wise. My intent throughout has been to build coaches that could still look good together if they were mixed and matched to form a complete train.

I can't wait to see them behind your excellent cab forward! I've always loved seeing that old SP at the train museum.

Here a few videos.

3974084671_9e891de65e_o.png

My earlier cab forward with two EN style coaches, the 3rd coach (right in front of the boxcar) is one of the 7 by 46 long coaches shown above.

VIDEO #2 (curves and switches) - same setup, the 3rd coach is 7x46.

VIDEO #3 - more of the coaches shown above, but no real curves.

I really need to get some new video with the updated cab forward and all the coaches in tow. :blush:

Edited by Cooper

Now that's how LEGO trains should have been built! Wide enough to accomodate two columns of passenger seats. Great job on the clever build Cooper! pirate_thumbup.gif "Odd-stud-wide" vehicles (in this case 7 stud-wide) are kinda tricky to do but you manage to pull it off pretty well. I must say that's a really impressive collection of passenger cars, and nice choice of color schemes too.