1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Skin the croc for boots and a belt
    • 2 - Won't be visiting the swamp anytime soon
    • 3 - Maybe if I saw the other two models
    • 4 - I could warm up to this gator
    • 5 - Croc-tastic!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

00.jpg

112 Million years ago, a ferocious relative of the crocodile roamed the Cretaceous period. Known as the Sarcosuchus, this 'SuperCroc' weighed up to 10 tons and had a length of approximately 12 Meters (approx. 40 feet). (Reference: Wikipedia)

LEGO Creator embarks upon the ambitious effort to recreate the Giant Crocodile (if compared to minifig scale) as well as two other ferocious beasts with their latest 2010 set, 5868 Ferocious Creatures.

Set Number: 5868

Set Name: Ferocious Creatures

Theme: Creator

Year Released: 2010

Piece Count: 416

Price: $29.99 (USD)

Minifigs: None (pictured with Caveman minifigures only)

As with most Creator sets, this fine model includes instructions to build the Crocodile, as well as two other creatures, a T-Rex/Dinosaur and Giant Fish/Aquatic Creature.

01.jpg

The Crocodile (croc) consists of seven different segments.

02.jpg

The tail is three sections (or four if you count the rear of the body) that quickly whip around with the use of the hinge pieces (for lack of a better name):

03.jpg

The main body is three parts that can also be moved adding to the nice flexible design:

04.jpg

Two large sections contain the meat of the croc with legs that attach to the sides:

05.jpg

The head is sturdily attached to the body with the round hinge piece and has a string that is used to pull the jaws open:

06.jpg

Sliding a section attached to the main body pulls the string to lift the jaws. The mechanism also locks into place:

07.jpg

Here's an image of the entire croc with cavemen for size comparison:

08.jpg

And it's mouth:

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

A few additional images:

12.jpg

Thoughts on this Set

Obviously, I have not shared images of the other two models that this set includes - the reason why: I like the main model (the Croc) the best. I will build the other two in time and share images if someone doesn't beat me to it. I must admit that I've never been a big fan of Creator sets, mainly because they aren't minifig scale. At the same time; however, this set provides a creative way to play in that a Giant Crocodile (or even the other creatures) provide monsters for your Tabletown. Green elements are always nice as the bulk of this set consists of standard green, dark green, and some lime cheese slopes as well. The design is very good and the whip-tail and pull string mouth make the highlights of this set. This particular model is quite sturdy and doesn't have any pieces that fall off when handling (a nice plus).

Three in one (with instructions) to build very different models (not all dinosaurs or reptiles, etc.) add to the quality of the set. By looking at the images of the other models, they look pretty nice as well. The sea creature looks like it might be interesting if you are a fan of the Atlantis theme. There's not too much more to say other than I like this set and think it's a good value for the price.

I hope you've enjoyed this partial review. Feel free to share your thoughts. :classic:

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Thanks for your look at this set, Brickster!

I strongly considered picking this set up recently as it was 20% off (I ultimately picked up the Apple Tree House instead). I like the colours and pieces in this set, and the models are a nice change of pace. The articulation of the many limbs and joints, and the snapping jaw seem to make this a surprisingly playable kit.

I strongly considered picking this set up recently as it was 20% off

Extra good value. I'm sure it will be on store shelfs for a while longer if you choose to pick it up. I still want to purchase the Appletree House.

Funny review :)

This set doesn't appeal to me, the fish is kind of alright, but I don't like the two others. I might buy this set for parts when I see it discounted.

I'm a big fan of CREATOR sets. I have a lot of the animal sets from the last couple of years, and will pick this set some time in the future. You get a lot of bricks for your money.

Nice review, I enjoyed reading it.

Creative review. I like that T-Rex the best, just from looking at the vox, but the croc sure has a lot of features :thumbup:

Nice review! :thumbup: While I can do without a giant crocodile in my town, I do look forward to this set as a green part pack, especially if I can find it on sale somewhere.

oh, you crazy cavemen you :laugh:

I wasn't really planning on buying this set, but your review might have just changed my mind :grin:

Thanks for the fantastic review, Brickster!

Nice review, as a Creator one this is on the list... at least the initial :classic:

I'm a big fan of CREATOR sets. I have a lot of the animal sets from the last couple of years, and will pick this set some time in the future. You get a lot of bricks for your money.

Nice review, I enjoyed reading it.

Me too, I agree with you. Best Designer/Creator animal sets are surely #4958 Dino Monster and old #4506, #4507 and #4884, but this one also looks good :thumbup: .

Fantastic review as always TheBrickster, good to see you around again (Or the reverse, I've been a bit lazy recently :blush:)

I'm quite interested in this set now, I adore green pieces especially in such a variety and the giant croc is vary good model. While I too prefer minifig scale designs I love Creator sets, and am quite sad to have missed that dragon one from a few years back. If this comes 20% off there's a good chance I'll buy it.

Oh, and the Cavemen commentary was very amusing, as well as not gettingi n the way of the review and pictures which was good. I chuckled when I saw the "His stomach has tasted my clan" caption.

Batbrick Away! :devil: