Superkalle

How the new 8097 Slave I should have looked

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Here's how I would have liked TLG to make the new 8097 Slave I

Slave1Mod.jpgpost-114-1276161585.jpg

The TLG verion on the left, my mod on the right.

I've tried not to go beserk on the design, just some moddest changes, like smaller guns, and 2 stud longer rear fuselage. And with color, much of the dark grey replaced by light grey and a tad more sand green. I guess you could argue about the color of those semicirlces around the stabilizers, but in my mind dark grey looks more realistic than the too brightish dark green. And of course sand red would have looked much better than dark red, but since sand red is no longer in the Lego color scheme, I couldn't use it.

Note: the "Round Corner 6 x 6 x 2" is missing in LDD, so I had to replace it with some home made stuff for the time being.

EDIT: You can download the LDD file here and play around with your own color scheme:

I like your version way better. IMO, the official version looked too sleek to be worthy of Boba Fett's badass attitude. :thumbup::tongue:

I like your version way better. IMO, the official version looked too sleek to be worthy of Boba Fett's badass attitude. :thumbup::tongue:

I couldn't have said it any better so... Ditto!

The changes are subtle but look good. It's not enough of a change for me to jump out of my chair for, but I think it smooths it out a bit.

The changes are subtle but look good. It's not enough of a change for me to jump out of my chair for, but I think it smooths it out a bit.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted...sublte changes that I wish TLG could have done in the first place :classic:

IMO, 6209 ver>>8097 ver.

Well, I agree that the 6209 is in some respects better, but I think a combination of the two might have been the ultimate flying vessel.

Same here. :grin:

Nice job on the LDD superkalle, pointing out the small deficiencies of the official set. TLG has been known to put random inacurrate colors and missized weapons on the sets most of the time. If you're someone who's always for accuracy of the 'real look' of the vehicles (just like me), those things are something that a li'l bit of modding can't fix.

Nice mods to the real thing Kalle. Can you upload the LXF file to it?

I also shorten the rear guns. Did you use the 4 l bars (lightsaber blade)?

About colours I think you tuned it down a little to much in some parts looking at ref. picture.

There is a hatch in the back for instance that is darker in colour.

On top with the dark green colours you made changes that is way closer to the real deal.

I added a ref. pic in your post Kalle, hope it is ok?

Nice job. However, I think the rounded parts above the wings look better in dark green- they're green on the comparison model you've shown.

One of the main problems I've had with TLC's version is the wing- I don't really like how it swings down. The 'real' slave I's wings rotate, and the diagonal bar isn't solidly attacked to it. Still I suppose this is just for the cockpit's rotating play feature.

Hm. It really depends on what you like.

If you want your model to "exactly" match with the "real" thing, your mod is definitely better.

However, for LEGO sales and purposes of "colorfulness", your mod makes this model quite dull. I am sure that you notice this as well. Just by switching green arches around the body, the model is more enjoyable to look at. Not that I own any Slave I or a fan of non-UCS models (not entirely but mostly) but I think LEGO did the correct thing.

If I had to vote, I'd vote for yours because I don't really care about this color factor. I want my models to be as similar as possible to the "real" thing.

IMO, they should have made a Jango Slave I.

They already have, but IMO they need a second.