Sign in to follow this  
lightningtiger

REVIEW: 7937 Train Station

traintech1.jpg

G'day everyone - got lucky today and picked up myself from Toyworld Parafield - one 7937 train station !

Here we go.......

7937_-_1.jpg7937_-_2.jpg

Front and back of the box.

7937_-_3.jpg

Close up of the back of the box.

7937_-_4.jpg

The DSS !

7937_-_5.jpg

What you get in the box.

7937_-_6.jpg

Bag number ONE !

7937_-_7.jpg

Passenger and taxi driver.

7937_-_8.jpg7937_-_9.jpg

7937_-_10.jpg7937_-_11.jpg

7937_-_12.jpg7937_-_13.jpg

Here's the taxi from start to finsh.

7937_-_14.jpg

Bag number TWO !

7937_-_15.jpg

New parts I think.

7937_-_16.jpg

Backpacker and train station master.

7937_-_17.jpg7937_-_18.jpg

7937_-_19.jpg7937_-_20.jpg

7937_-_21.jpg7937_-_22.jpg

7937_-_23.jpg7937_-_24.jpg

7937_-_25.jpg

Yep, that's the station house itself !

7937_-_26.jpg

Bag number THREE !

7937_-_27.jpg

Rare I think these are too !

7937_-_28.jpg7937_-_29.jpg

7937_-_30.jpg7937_-_31.jpg

7937_-_32.jpg7937_-_33.jpg

7937_-_34.jpg

First half of the overpass !

7937_-_35.jpg

Bag number FOUR !

7937_-_37.jpg7937_-_38.jpg

7937_-_39.jpg7937_-_40.jpg

7937_-_41.jpg7937_-_42.jpg

7937_-_43.jpg7937_-_44.jpg

Finished one train station and the mother of all reviews !

EDIT TIME !!!

Okay, now I paid 79.99 for this set - parts wise and sadly the minifigs being the same old ones - Lego's DNA pool must be tiny I say value is only 3.5/5. :wink:

Design on the other hand is a 4.5/5 - you don't know how big this is until you build it - I actually love this station - though the taxi does look odd with those standard fat tyres (ones from the little postal car of a few years back might have been a better choice). Also how do those drinks stay cold - no fridge - a vending machine similar to the airport one might have been better. Well there the only two faults I can find.

Playability would require the use of a train of course, but with a train I'd rate this at 5/5 - it does the job, a double platform so more than one player can load and unload passengers, cross the bridge and tick off the older station master with silly questions where does that train go (can't they go across and read the map for themselves ! :tongue:

Overall - do the math - 4.3333whew/5 - very good set to add to any layout, still Lego needs to make the taxi a bit better and oh, I forgot the lighting - I feel it is a bit low, what do you all think ?

Now I'm done and I can get back to eating breakfast and taking the dog to the park (4 legged kind). :grin:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Edited by TheBrickster

Nice to see the 1 x 6 x 3 windscreen now comes in Clear and Red.

And the white girder pieces plus the taxi and sticker pieces.

Disappointed to see the same boring minifig torsos used again and again (the black vest with blue tie and the red torso with the 3 silver things as well as the same boring torso for the train worker)

Please don't take offense to this comment as I'm going to give you some criticism on your review. You really have only stated what is in the box and posted some photos, which in my opinion is not really a review. Perhaps to improve your reviews and make them a worthwhile read you could add some personal opinions, facts, for example a part is new or only used in a number of sets previously, things that you feel are good about the set and things that don't meet your expectations. I have read some exceptional reviews by people on this forum and it disappoints me when I read yours, as I feel you take away the opportunity for someone who may have a better ability at writing reviews to do so.

Please don't take offense to this comment as I'm going to give you some criticism on your review. You really have only stated what is in the box and posted some photos, which in my opinion is not really a review. Perhaps to improve your reviews and make them a worthwhile read you could add some personal opinions, facts, for example a part is new or only used in a number of sets previously, things that you feel are good about the set and things that don't meet your expectations. I have read some exceptional reviews by people on this forum and it disappoints me when I read yours, as I feel you take away the opportunity for someone who may have a better ability at writing reviews to do so.

Sorry about that I had a wife interuptus moment and had to post what I had on hand, I shall go back and edit. :blush:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Thanks for the review L-T.

I finally realised what was bugging me about this set. Its all squashed up. Obviously to fit a price point, but certainly it can be elongated to make it look more like a proper train platform. I will be buying this set, along with all the trains. I don't have any trains myself having only become AFOL a year ago. Pity I wasn't AFOL 10 years ago. The 9 volt system is sweet........

Thanks for another look at this set lightningtiger

I'm really looking forward to collecting trains for the first time, and I am personally very pleased with this train station. I'm sure train buffs could point out many flaws in the station, but I think it is a pretty well rounded set (considering it's price point of course) and I am pleased to see the return of a design like this.

Thanks for the look at this set!

I'm actually looking forward to this station, and it's one of the first train kits I've been looking forward to in a long time. It's too bad the passenger train to accompany this one is somewhat lackluster.

...I don't have any trains myself having only become AFOL a year ago. Pity I wasn't AFOL 10 years ago. The 9 volt system is sweet........

Best time was 1991 when 9V was new - nearly 20 years ago now! I can't believe it's that long - 14 years since I bought the last of the 12V spares!

You have a great opportunity with PF trains. My tests proved that the PF motors are just as good as 9V ones for power, torque and speed regulation. The new wheels also have more grip. All this means the new PF train system is sound, so the spending brakes are off! I hope it will be popular for many years to come. I might make a few electronic additions of my own, for things like double heading, hybrid 9V/PF trains, lighting effects etc... - some here.

I like the diorama picture on the back of the box. Pictures like that sold me more trains in the '80s and '90s.

Good to resurrect the spirit of 7822, the 12V station with 2 platforms. I might have liked to see a 16M bridge extension, to enable easy conversion to double track. Another way is to buy another set so that you can also double the platform length for longer MOC trains. I like the sliding door too - using the slider parts for their original purpose.

Thanks for the review L-T. Keep on clicking :wink:

Mark

Best time was 1991 when 9V was new - nearly 20 years ago now! I can't believe it's that long - 14 years since I bought the last of the 12V spares!

You have a great opportunity with PF trains. My tests proved that the PF motors are just as good as 9V ones for power, torque and speed regulation. The new wheels also have more grip. All this means the new PF train system is sound, so the spending brakes are off! I hope it will be popular for many years to come. I might make a few electronic additions of my own, for things like double heading, hybrid 9V/PF trains, lighting effects etc... - some here.

I like the diorama picture on the back of the box. Pictures like that sold me more trains in the '80s and '90s.

Good to resurrect the spirit of 7822, the 12V station with 2 platforms. I might have liked to see a 16M bridge extension, to enable easy conversion to double track. Another way is to buy another set so that you can also double the platform length for longer MOC trains. I like the sliding door too - using the slider parts for their original purpose.

Thanks for the review L-T. Keep on clicking :wink:

Mark

Thankyou for the insight Mark. Your brickshelf link has also been bookmarked. I'm even more excited about the power functions system. I just hope the rechargeable battery gets a little cheaper over time. Replacing bateries gets tiresome and feels wasteful. I think rechargeable AAA may not generate enough power for any significant amount of time, but without testing it myself I could be wrong.