Sign in to follow this  
Siegfried

10186 General Grievous vs Tonberry

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I've been wanting to take photos of this set for a while, but due to his size and shape it's hard. Recently I decided due to a combination of his bulk, fragility and wanting some of the parts that it's recycling time, and that caused him to run out the door.

DSC05528es.jpg

But I was prepared; I had a tonberry at the ready.

DSC05531es.jpg

Undeterred Grievous attacks!

DSC05535es.jpg

The fight rages on...

DSC05538es.jpg

...and the General senses an advantage...

DSC05541es.jpg

...but it was just a diversion and they resume their positions.

DSC05552es.jpg

The tonberry notices the weak spot...

DSC05550es.jpg

...and moves in to strike...

DSC05556es.jpg

...but it's skillfully dodged!

DSC05542es.jpg

Both combatants pause...

DSC05551es.jpg

...and Grievous realises he may have met his match...

DSC05547es.jpg

...and that he might be defeated by a soft toy.

DSC05557es.jpg

Go tonberry!

My plan to break this aside, I think this is a very under appreciated set. As I said earlier, the model is very hard to photograph due to the size and complex shape, and I do think that this is a model that's best appreciated in person. Even so, it's a pain to keep together; parts fall off all the time, it's hard to put in different poses, hard to dust... and that's why I decided that I'd give him one last hurrah! Taking these photos was hard; balance is always a huge problem with Grievous, and parts kept falling off which is not a good thing when you're outside. (A few are noticeably missing; especially the sabers.)

But I think that TLG did a great job making a model like this with relatively few pieces and if I had more room and pieces I'd keep him together.

(There's an arguably better review here.)

Very funny. :laugh: I don't like the set, because it falls apart easy, but the way it is made is nice.

I'm just wondering, what's a Tonberry?

-

General Redwater

I hate it when people refer to grievious as a coward. They have obviously never read his back-story. If anything, he was quite bold, and he was often the first on the battlefield. He was a true general. What about the fact that he "abandoned ship"? Think about it for a minute... Stay aboard crashing ship and die or be captured, or, escape, and trap your enemies with no escape, leaving them to (almost) certain doom?

...ahem, back to topic....

Even though its a fragile set, Its one of those that is definitely a real work of art, and is one that more caters to AFOLs. I hope to own it soon.

Nice scene! :thumbup::classic:

Never heard of Master Tonberry though. I suppose he's not from the expanded universe? :tongue::grin:

Haha! Very funny and cute story, nicely done 'Siegfried'! :thumbup:

GG looks very menacing, but he ain't got nothin' on Master Tonberry (the greatest jedi no one has heard of)!

I love the last pic, Master Tonberry's four apprentices cheering for their master! :laugh::tongue:

img-resized.png Reduced: 85% of original size [ 600 x 450 ] - Click to view full imageDSC05557es.jpg

Edited by KielDaMan

Go Grievous! Show that Tonberry slime who's da man cyborg! :devil:

Nice shots. I love how nothing actually happens, but an epic story is being told simply with different angles. But seriously, how could you take apart such a beautiful set?! :cry_sad: It's one of my favorites and I certainly will never take it apart! If you were interested in the parts, couldn't you have purchased a second copy when it was on clearance for such a long time? Oh well, I guess it's too late to change your mind, as I felt a disturbance in the force, as if hundreds of Lego pieces got separated, and then suddenly disappeared in sorting cases. :sadnew:

On the bright side, I can't wait to see what you create with the pieces! :sweet:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Very nice, Siegfried.

Now I want both 10186 AND a Tonberry plush. :angry:

Very funny. :laugh: I don't like the set, because it falls apart easy, but the way it is made is nice.

I'm just wondering, what's a Tonberry?

-

General Redwater

Nice scene! :thumbup::classic:

Never heard of Master Tonberry though. I suppose he's not from the expanded universe? :tongue::grin:

For those that don't know, Tonberry was an enemy that first appeared in the video game Final Fantasy VI (though they were called Pug in that game) and have appeared in every Final Fantasy game since.

very funny. I always hated(in the annoying kind of way) the Tonberries in FF. Cactuar FTW!

Edited by Arthas

Ha nice!

I like that Grievous set!

Though it was released when I kinda went off STARWARS so I missed out on it :sceptic:

Oh and uhhmmm...

GO TONBERRY!

I really like the pictures, I've never seen closeups like that. This seriously making me rethink not getting this set.

I see domo kun in the background, he'd take them all on.

but due to his size and shape it's hard. Recently I decided due to a combination of his bulk, fragility and wanting some of the parts that it's recycling time, and that caused him to run out the door.

That's what she said. :grin:

I agree with you on this set. It was a great deal when I got it for $30 on clearance, but it is just very cumbersome and is just collecting dust. As much as it would pain me to, I think I might disassemble him when I *gasp* downsize my Lego display area.

Clever pics! :grin:

-darthperson

So, was there ever a part two to this saga?

Not as yet. But possibly in the future; I've got more toys in the mail! :grin: