Superkalle

LDD Design Contest Discussion thread

I noticed that there aren't diferencials in LDD, Unless I've wrongly checked...

Can we make models assuming their usage even it they don't show up in LDD?

Is it ok for the real brick model to be different from the LDD model? I developed mine initially in LDD but as always the build out always changes. So while they are the same MOC, the final execution has changed. I'm assuming its ok as the contest is also supposed to show how LDD can be used to develop your ideas.

You're absolutely right that the whole point is to show how LDD can be used to develop your design ideas. However, to make it easy to judge and the same for all, the real model and the LDD model should be the same. However, a question - can't you just modify the LDD file to reflect the final physcial model?

For LDD only, is it okay to disregard stability of the real model, or do we have to take that into consideration. For example, I'm building a wall that is 32 studs long. Instead of doin 8+16+8 bricks on top of 16+16, I just put 16+16 bricks teh whole way up. Is this okay?

Well, you can disregard the stability, but the idea about having to upload the LXF-file is that the people who will vote will have the possibilty to download the LXF and see how well constructed the design is. So I guess it's up to the voters to judge your design, whichever method you decide to use. The fact that you can actually see and judge the inside construction of a LEGO model is the first time ever (that I know of) that this idea has been used on any LEGO contest.

I noticed that there aren't diferencials in LDD, Unless I've wrongly checked...Can we make models assuming their usage even it they don't show up in LDD?

I'm assuming you mean differential gears. There are some possibilties - you can for example use some similar parts to illustrate that it is a differential. Or you could leave it out completely.

I'm assuming you mean differential gears. There are some possibilties - you can for example use some similar parts to illustrate that it is a differential. Or you could leave it out completely.

Yes differencial gears!

I also noticed that there aren't clutch gears wich are really important for steering. But here it's easier to just use another one that resembles those.

Thanks! :classic:

Well, you can disregard the stability, but the idea about having to upload the LXF-file is that the people who will vote will have the possibilty to download the LXF and see how well constructed the design is. So I guess it's up to the voters to judge your design, whichever method you decide to use. The fact that you can actually see and judge the inside construction of a LEGO model is the first time ever (that I know of) that this idea has been used on any LEGO contest.

Good point. I'll change my model just in case :classic:

Hello,

I've got one question:

How do I know how many bricks my model includes? Do I really have to count them all? :oh:

Thank you very much for your answer. :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

How do I know how many bricks my model includes? Do I really have to count them all? :oh:

Yes, you have to count them all :tongue:

No, seriously, there are two ways to find out the brick count:

1) In LDD, generate a HTML Building Instruction. It will tell you the brick count.

2) Download LDD Manager and import the LXF-file (plus that LDD Manager has other features as well, such as checking if a brick has been produced in a certain color).

I have entered a rex helmet

I also built it all are in the original post in the starwars forum

can the admin tell me before the contest ends if I need to update my entry or if it will be ok

I would like to enter the ldd and actual build contest

Thankyou for the great contest,,,Tony

Hi, I also decided to contribute to the contest (LDD plus real model) and I have some questions.

1.When I will upload pictures, can they be a picture inside picture to show different positions of moving assemblies (I'm building a Technic entry).

2.When I check my model with LDD manager it says something like some parts are not in the database. I found up that those problematic are PF components. Will this kind of entry then be accepted anyway? Or is this a known problem for those elements?

3.In LDD I'm using some parts which in real model have some stickers from an original set on them, but there wont be any stickers on LDD model. Is this allowed? I don't want to rip them off because they are cool.

Thanks for the answers.

I have entered a rex helmet

I also built it all are in the original post in the starwars forum

Can the admin tell me before the contest ends if I need to update my entry or if it will be ok

I would like to enter the ldd and actual build contest

Thankyou for the great contest,,,Tony

Well, make sure you read the rules. It is clearly written how you should enter contest for the class "LDD + Real bricks". And good luck :classic:

Hi, I also decided to contribute to the contest (LDD plus real model) and I have some questions.

1.When I will upload pictures, can they be a picture inside picture to show different positions of moving assemblies (I'm building a Technic entry).

2.When I check my model with LDD manager it says something like some parts are not in the database. I found up that those problematic are PF components. Will this kind of entry then be accepted anyway? Or is this a known problem for those elements?

3.In LDD I'm using some parts which in real model have some stickers from an original set on them, but there wont be any stickers on LDD model. Is this allowed? I don't want to rip them off because they are cool.

Thanks for the answers.

1) Yes, you can.

2) It can be entered anyway, no problem

3) Yes, it's OK to keep the stickers.

One more question, maybe an obvious one, but I don't find it written anywhere (or I mislooked?). :classic:

Is it ok to put pictures from LDD in PNG, which is LDD's native screenshot format?

Because a lot of quality is lost when transforming to JPG/JPEG.

I see that entries frome others are both JPG and PNG.

I understand that pictures made from MOCs should be JPEG, but how about pictures from LDD?

One more question, maybe an obvious one, but I don't find it written anywhere (or I mislooked?). :classic:

Is it ok to put pictures from LDD in PNG, which is LDD's native screenshot format?

Because a lot of quality is lost when transforming to JPG/JPEG.

I see that entries frome others are both JPG and PNG.

I understand that pictures made from MOCs should be JPEG, but how about pictures from LDD?

No problem if you want to use PNG's. As long as it can be read by the majority of browsers, any file format is actually OK.

There are some incredible entries, I think it's going to be tough to judge them all! Good luck to everybody.

Josh Lucas' 1932 Ford Model B Roadster (made out of 8880 Super Car parts) is a great entry in the "LDD+Real Bricks" category of the Eurobricks LDD Design Contest! The LDD .lxf file and 9 pictures are available there.

1278641228m_SPLASH.jpg12786412378_SPLASH.jpg

I'm entering LDD only. Now, do connection have to be legal? Like, say I want to place a brick in mid-air or something. I know how to do it, but would it be allowed?

I'm entering LDD only. Now, do connection have to be legal? Like, say I want to place a brick in mid-air or something. I know how to do it, but would it be allowed?

I didn't see anything in the rules about connections. I just assume it has to be possible to build in real life as it's depicted in the MOC - no birds magically flying overhead or anything. For instance, I have a small section of wall that isn't attached by studs but rather held in place on all sides by pieces around it. I had to 'cheat' to get it there in the first place, but it would be quite snug and secure if built.

Hm...tricky question. LDD in itself does not allow illegal connections, and in my mind that's actually one of the strengths of the program - you can only design models under the same rules as the TLG designers can. However, there are some shortcomings in LDD, such as putting a car on a tiled driveway (since there are no connection for that). But there are ways to get around this (like you're suggesting), and I say it's OK to do that sort of thing. At the same time it's not allowed to have things floating in the air (like a bird flying), since this cannot be done with physical bricks.

Hope that was understandable :classic:

Question: How to bend flex tubes on LDD?

Example:

I would do something like this with a flex tube:

85e144303dd161552feb59c71584868f20100714110102.png

Can someone help me ?

Thanks

Can someone help me ?

I'm pretty sure that's not possible to do on LDD, but I'll leave it open for someone with more expertise to confirm.

Another question: can you have tiles just laid out together on the ground, or do they all have to be stuck to a baseplate? I don't know how close I am to the part limit, but it would help on cutting down my piece count.

Thanks. :classic:

It's not possible in this version of LDD. Hopefully it will be in the next version in September. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Another question: can you have tiles just laid out together on the ground, or do they all have to be stuck to a baseplate? I don't know how close I am to the part limit, but it would help on cutting down my piece count.

Sorry, it's not allowed. Your model is supposed to be like a real Lego model, just that it's made in LDD, so loose tiles that don't hold on to something is not OK.

I've noticed a lot of new members entering this contest. I'd hazard a guess that, like myself, they've been tempted into joining by the lure of unlocking more bricks in LDD and such a great contest. Pity then, that many of us will not be allowed to vote :cry_sad: . I'll be on holiday when voting kicks-off and seeing as I'm not allowed to vote anyway :cry_sad: ! - I'm going to express some opinions;

At this early stage I think we could possibly have a winner with Igorlando's The Anastasia Astoria International Hotel (Town). This is just amazing. In-fact, can he not be disqualified to give everyone else a chance?

I also really like Johnnyiszippy3's Dinner (Town) and BoJan Pavsic's Circus (Other Themes).

And because I'm a complete nerd when it comes to 70's sci-fi I'm loving Navegantes' Valley Forge from Silent Running (Sci-Fi) and Sparkarts' Maximillian from The Black Hole (Sci-Fi).

There's just so many amazing entries, to coin a phrase my Dad used to use "I don't stand a cat in hell's chance!'.

Come to think of it, the choice is soo difficult, I'm glad I can't vote! :laugh:

I have question about photos.

Can I paste 3 photos into my post and add link to gallery for more pictures? Because my construction will be big.

I've noticed a lot of new members entering this contest. I'd hazard a guess that, like myself, they've been tempted into joining by the lure of unlocking more bricks in LDD and such a great contest. Pity then, that many of us will not be allowed to vote :cry_sad: .

The reason is that there has previosly been problems with new users entering a contest, and then have friends create an account just to vote. And if there are few votes in a class, then this could be the difference between winning or not. To eliminate this unfortunate possibility, most contests at Eurobricks will only allow those who were members before the contest started to vote. Sorry, but I hope it doesn't discourage too much :classic:

Can I paste 3 photos into my post and add link to gallery for more pictures? Because my construction will be big.

Yes you can!

The reason is that there has previosly been problems with new users entering a contest, and then have friends create an account just to vote.

Ha ha - I never would have thought of that. It's amazing the lengths people will go to for a big box of Lego.