greg3

MOC: Simplex Locomotive

traintech1.jpg

Amazingly, after 30+ years of "Lego-ing" I've never bought, built or played with a Lego train!! Until now... inspired by the upcoming train sets (and the public transportation tram) I decided to get some wheels and tracks off Bricklink and have a go.. It's supposed to be a Simplex petrol locomotive based on a picture of one working on a local railway line and various websites etc. It might not be the Orient Express but I'm quite pleased with it and now I've got the urge to make more!!

sim2.jpg

The first Simplex engines were made for the British War Department for use in the trenches during World War 1, After the war, production continued as they found use in a range of industrial areas. Many different versions were produced, both petrol and diesel types, although my version isn't based on any particular type but is a general interpretation.

sim4.jpg

I found the trickiest bit to be the coupling mechanism... this was the closest I could get to the refence pics.

sim3.jpg

Finally I put together a small truck for it to pull...

sim1.jpg

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticism are more than welcome. (I don't know much about trains at the moment so any feedback will be greatly appreciated)

Cheers

Greg

Welcome at trains :thumbup:

I love it. It's very adorable but also very realistic. Great build.

keep on the right track.

EXCELLENT 'greg3' - COOL small engine !

Yep, I say pretty close eh ? :wink:

4272083933_c5050492bf.jpg

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticism are more than welcome. (I don't know much about trains at the moment so any feedback will be greatly appreciated)

I think you've captured all the important features of the prototype photo LT provided. You may not know much about trains but you've pretty much nailed this one. If I had to nitpick I'd say there is guard rails at both ends of LT's photo, and there seems to be a horizontal buffer plate at each end, but of course these could be part of the variations you mentioned between prototypes. You made a really sweet train.

Thanks for the comments (and the great reference pic LT)... the guard rails seemed to be dependent on type and use - some had 2, some had only one and a lot had none. (although the local version I based this on had 2 but I ran out of space at the back!!) The buffer appears to be more standard however and seems to be on almost all the ones I saw, unfortunately none of my attempts to recreate it came out looking right. Anyway, I'm currently looking for old style rails to make a narrow gauge version...

Cheers

Greg

I really like this, nice and cute with just the right proportions. I particularly like the couplings.

I think making it narrow gauge should be pretty easy although the wagon may need a re-build. You can either use the old 4.5/12v track or the new Indy track which is also 4 wide although both had disadvantages (you can't do curves very easily with 12V track and the Indy track only comes as curves or 'hills')

I built a Simplex a good few years ago, but I went for the other approach and used standard track with a larger (technic fig) scale.

dscn0423.jpg_thumb.jpg

Tim

Edited by talltim

That looks great Tim... the larger scale looks more realistic and you got the "bent frame" design too!! but I'm short of space so I'm definitely looking at going the minifig scale narrow gauge route... my next train is even smaller!!!