eric87

MOC: Red Emerald Night

traintech1.jpg

Check link to see my red emerald night. i thought you all would enjoy.

dsc00006.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by CopMike
Pic added.

Looks great! Although I probably would swap the red wheels for black. Where did you aquire all those red 2 x 4 rounded slope parts? And with the printing? Or spraypaint and stickers?

Looks great! Although I probably would swap the red wheels for black. Where did you aquire all those red 2 x 4 rounded slope parts? And with the printing? Or spraypaint and stickers?

red slopes from bricklink and the gold is just pin stripes from the automotive store.

Edited by eric87

Nice! As j3tang mentioned, it should now be called the Ruby Night. It reminds me of the Hogwarts train :thumbup:

I remember seeing one of theses at Brickworld 2010, or is this the one I saw. It ran on PF's so i can't tell, either way it's really cool.

Nice! As j3tang mentioned, it should now be called the Ruby Night. It reminds me of the Hogwarts train :thumbup:

As an HP fan, I'm offended that you don't know it's name, the Hogwarts Express. :grin:

JK, but it really does look like the Hogwarts Express. Nice job.

As an HP fan, I'm offended that you don't know it's name, the Hogwarts Express. :grin:

No it was not the hogwarts express, I am a train fanatic and there was a Red Emerald (shown above) that looked just like it and it ran on PF's. Quite a beauty I may add :classic:

maybe you should call it the ruby night default_sceptic.gif

looks fine otherwise default_classic.gif

Thanks for reminding me that emerald is a green.default_tong.gif

Still a great moc. Did you start from scratch or did you just MOD the original.

Edited by Legoroni

I remember seeing one of theses at Brickworld 2010, or is this the one I saw. It ran on PF's so i can't tell, either way it's really cool.

Heh heh, great minds think alike (I hadn't seen this thread until now). Might have been mine that you saw at BW, here. No pinstripes on the boiler. I just couldn't bring myself to using all of that dark green on this design (grin) but I'm glad lego included all that dark green in the set (grin some more).

As a railfan, I'm offended that you don't know it's name, the Olton Hall. :grin::tongue:

JK, but really, Olton Hall. :tongue:

After getting all the red bits I didn't have from BL, I finally made my "Ruby Night." What an awesome and simple MOD it is, and the two trains look great together.

My only problems: I haven't pin striped yet, but I think it really needs it to break up all that red. Just hoping I have a steady enough hand to make it not look terrible.

The other problem is no "Ruby Night" stickers, and you can't use the same number if you want to have them on the same layout. I've been planning on getting ink-jet printable water slide decals for some time, maybe now is it.

I've checked out the available colors for 61068.jpg, and can't think of any other color I would be interested in. I was hoping to see blue to make a "Sapphire Night," but no such luck. Other colors might look OK... all black, yellow, brown... but not for me... I have another unopened EN that I will definitely use for the car; it would be awesome to do a third color.

So thanks Eric87 and prateek... it's a beautiful MOD.

And rday1982... perhaps I will do another one with MODs to make it look more like the Hogwart's Express decorated Olton Hall... it's not quite the same, but it's close enough that a good MOD and the sticker set from an older Hogwart's Express (which I happen to have, for some strange reason) might look pretty nice.

I'll have to count my pieces... I know I ordered extras of everything, but I don't know if I ordered enough for another one.

the pin stripes are not paint they are stickers. they come right off and on so your red pieces can be used again for another moc. also i have found that some lable makers make really nice decals.

It's funny how a colour change can make such a big difference in appearance. It looks totally different from the green one. Great job though :thumbup:

How much did the extra red parts cost? I'm kind of interested in making my own now. Since you used a custom stickers anyways, I would make one that said "Ruby Night"

How much did the extra red parts cost? I'm kind of interested in making my own now. Since you used a custom stickers anyways, I would make one that said "Ruby Night"

Most of the red bricks are pretty common... 1x6 plates, a few 1x1, 1x2, and 1x4 bricks, those curves, red cheeses, a couple of 4x8 plates.

I went to BL and looked at the pieces in the set, it tells you exactly how many of each you need, so I went through piece by piece and put what I had in a container, and made a wanted list out of the rest. It didn't cost that much, although I had to order from multiple stores.

I only wish the curves came in blue so we could make a Sapphire Night. It would be illegal for someone to make a mold of that piece to make and sell blue ones... but it wouldn't be illegal to make them for your own use.

Hmm, this, with a few small mods, could easily pass as the Hogwarts Express. I also agree about replacing the red wheels with black ones, it would look better. The train is incredible! Great Work!

Sirius

:thumbup: Very smart to change the color of the great train. It looks really like an official Lego set. What's next one in blue, purple, or even gold? :tongue::classic:

:thumbup: Very smart to change the color of the great train. It looks really like an official Lego set. What's next one in blue, purple, or even gold? :tongue::classic:

None of those colors are produced in the 2x4 slope brick, so unless he wants to design custom parts, those aren't possible. Though dark blue or dark red would be cool.

Sirius

None of those colors are produced in the 2x4 slope brick, so unless he wants to design custom parts, those aren't possible. Though dark blue or dark red would be cool.

Sirius

Yup... I think a Sapphire (blue) Night would be awesome...

On BrickLink:

• Black (106)
  • Light Bluish Gray (27)
  • Lime (48)
  • Red (55)
  • Reddish Brown (24)
  • White (113)
  • Yellow (38)

Brown might be OK... maybe yellow... but none of the colors really float my boat. All black might be interesting.

wow, I got all the parts for the red emerald night (with black wheels) on bricklink for a little over $20. All parts in new condition of course. I'll be able to make a ruby night and emerald night side by side shot. Hey, what striping tape did you use? Just something skinny with a gold color to it? Did you cut off the strips first, or did you apply then trim? Also, how did you get the red colored stickers on the side? I also plan on making a custom sticker that says "Ruby Night" instead of "Emerald Night".

The best part: The dark green pieces sell on bricklink for more than what it costs to buy the red pieces. Next month i may buy a third emerald night, and make it all black with red trim and wheels.