On a related subject, is there a better tutorial for LDD than LEGO's online help? That's about as useful as, well, most help files. And if that's not an insult, I don't know what is!

Not that I know of, but that is a brilliant idea if someone would want to make a better help :classic:

When I open my LDD file, I receive these errors:

Image5.jpg

I've managed to figure when this error can appear, and it's when you try to open a LXF-file that is not a LXF. For example, if I take a .TXT-file and change the .LXF and try to open in LDD Manager, I will get these errors. In other words, make sure that the file you try to open is LXF-file.

In the next version of LDD Manager I will explicitly handle this error to give the user a bit better information.

I've managed to figure when this error can appear, and it's when you try to open a LXF-file that is not a LXF. For example, if I take a .TXT-file and change the .LXF and try to open in LDD Manager, I will get these errors. In other words, make sure that the file you try to open is LXF-file.

In the next version of LDD Manager I will explicitly handle this error to give the user a bit better information.

That makes sense, since the error before it is an unzip error. However, when you first looked at the problem, you also said

PS: the file you sent opens fine on my computer, so there's nothing wrong with it per se.

so I assume that's not the cause of the problem. I've tried several files without success, all of which open with LDD.

I have an old laptop running XP Pro, so I think I'll try loading LDD4 and LDD Manager on it and see what happens. If nothing else, it will give another point of reference, since the old laptop has most of the same programs, firewall, AV etc that the current one has, but with XP instead of Vista.

Peter

That makes sense, since the error before it is an unzip error. However, when you first looked at the problem, you also said

Yes, you're right - I did actually test your file. But now I can't remember how I tested it, zipped or unzipped and now it's gone. Can you send it again please?

Yes, you're right - I did actually test your file. But now I can't remember how I tested it, zipped or unzipped and now it's gone. Can you send it again please?

It's linked at the bottom of the post with the error messages, but I'll save you the trouble :classic:

LDD file

Peter

1) First go to the Paint Bucket Tool and select in the Color Palettet Tool the color you want to change TO (target color)

2) Then use the "Color selection tool" to click on a brick with the color you want to FROM (old color). Note that all brick with that color will be selected

3) Click on the Paint Bucket Tool.

4) Done

That is a useful tip, but you forgot to mention that it only works in LEGO Universe mode.

It took me a while to figure out what I was doing wrong. :wacko:

The weird part is that you have to select the TO color first, and it deselects the selected brick if you click on the Paint Bucket Tool.

It would have been more logical if you could first select the bricks you want to change, and then select the correct color (without removing the selection).

You might also see this error on Vista and above if you've attempted at some point to save files under Program Files. Older versions of LDD weren't flagged as Vista compatible (IIRC) and so writes to program files were virtualised. Access is flagged as Vista compatible so virtualisation is disabled which might confuse things. Moving files to a 'safe' location, like My Documents, should fix it if that's the problem.

I think you also might expect to see something similar if the file was downloaded in Internet Explorer, as it'll have marked it as potentially unsafe. If that's the case you can 'fix' it by right clicking the file, opening the properties and clicking Unblock.

It's linked at the bottom of the post with the error messages, but I'll save you the trouble :classic:

LDD file

Peter

Hi Peter

Well, you were right (and I had forgotten), that you're problem was not this. Anyway, I fixed a potential in LDD in any case.

I've done a bit more troubleshooting. I uninstalled the runtime, restarted my system, and ran LDD Manager without it. I received exactly the same errors as I had with the runtime installed. Then I downloaded the runtime again from your site and installed it from the new copy. The same errors persist. This leads me to believe that the runtime is not installing properly.

Microsoft apparently no longer has the 2003 runtime on their site, but they do have Access 2007 runtime. Have you tested LDD Manager with the 2007 runtime?

Peter

Hi Peter

Well, you were right (and I had forgotten), that you're problem was not this. Anyway, I fixed a potential in LDD in any case.

I just loaded LDD Manager on my WinXP laptop, and it works perfectly :thumbup: .

EDIT:

Now I've loaded Access 2007 Runtime (on my Vista machine), and tried again. Same errors as always. So I doubt it's the runtime, but something that's not right on my system.

Hmmmm..... *huh*

Peter

Edited by petero

The weird part is that you have to select the TO color first, and it deselects the selected brick if you click on the Paint Bucket Tool.

It would have been more logical if you could first select the bricks you want to change, and then select the correct color (without removing the selection).

Yes, you are absolutely right. Let's hope this functionality changes in the next LDD release.

I just loaded LDD Manager on my WinXP laptop, and it works perfectly :thumbup: .

Hmmmm..... *huh*

Peter

Life is strange sometimes :laugh:

I've found a minor bug in LDD Manager. If I try to import a model whose name contains an apostrophe, I get this error:

3075 - Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression "<filename>');'.

For instance, when I try to import 5958 Mummy's Tomb.lxf, the error is

3075 - Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression "5958 Mummy's Tomb');'.

It's just a minor oops in the code... shouldn't take more than a minute to fix. :classic:

Peter

I've found a minor bug in LDD Manager. If I try to import a model whose name contains an apostrophe, I get this error:

3075 - Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression "<filename>');'.

For instance, when I try to import 5958 Mummy's Tomb.lxf, the error is

3075 - Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression "5958 Mummy's Tomb');'.

It's just a minor oops in the code... shouldn't take more than a minute to fix. :classic:

Peter

Thanks for letting me know :classic:

And you're right, it just a matter of using the qoutes right in the SQL statement.

LDD Manager is awesome, thanks for this tool.

I wonder if it is possible to turn this tool into the site so that it could be used without MS Access or on a Mac OS?

LDD Manager is awesome, thanks for this tool.

I wonder if it is possible to turn this tool into the site so that it could be used without MS Access or on a Mac OS?

Thanks for the kind words. And welcome to the LDD Forum.

And you're not the first to ask about dropping Access :classic:

The reason I use Access/VBA is actually twofold

1) LDD Manager is jammed packed with data tables of various sort, and developing database driven applications is super fast with Access.

2) It's what I know best :sweet:

Perhaps when I get the time, I can convert into a normal application.

Great Program!

I'm using Access 2010 32 on a windows 7 64bit OS. My problem is when i try to export my model the XML parse file only generates <INVENTORY> and nothing else. I don't think i missed any steps however i could be wrong. Everything else seems to work just fine though.

Thanks for any help!

Hello everyone it is my first post/comment here on Eurobricks.

I am having the same issue that SilentMode was having back on page 3;

When I try to upload a model's parts to BrickLink, the resulting XML is simply

<INVENTORY>

I am using Windows 7 64-bit and Access 2010. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

EverettYA

Hi Everett.

The solution is on the way. I've just found the problem and am posting an updated version shortly. Hang on there :classic:

Hi Everett.

The solution is on the way. I've just found the problem and am posting an updated version shortly. Hang on there :classic:

Ok thanks.

EverettYA

New version released today. As usual it can be downloaded here.

Changes from the previous version:

New features

• View Model Statistics for all your imported models

• DbM field will show if a brick is a Pick-A-Brick/DesignByMe brick.

• ElementID will now be shown if that information is available. LDD Manager will show the official TLG DesignByMe ElementID and if that is not available, it will use information from BrickLink.

Updates

• Updated the LDD 3.0 to 4.0 substitute bricks lookup table after new info from TLG

• Added support for Mindstorms elements

• Increased the number of files that can be imported simultaneously

• Now shows user a hour-glass when large files are being loaded

• Updated the KnownColor and ElementID reference tables from BrickLink with latest data February 2011.

Bug fixes

• Now only shows HasDecoration if the part has a decoration added, not if it supports decoration.

• Model with apostrophe in file name can now be imported correctly

• Handle file that has LXF extension but is not LXF.

• Can now export BrickLink WantedList also in Access 2010 (only for 32-bit version – 64-bit still not supported)

• Standard Technic pin in black is no longer shown as “Check if color exist”

• Will now warn user if LDD Manager database is read-only.

The LDD Manager 0.96 Beta version works great. :thumbup: I like how the various Mindstorms elements are handled now -- making Parts Lists of Technic models is a lot easier now. Thanks for your hard work, Superkalle! :classic:

The LDD Manager 0.96 Beta version works great. :thumbup: I like how the various Mindstorms elements are handled now -- making Parts Lists of Technic models is a lot easier now. Thanks for your hard work, Superkalle! :classic:

Thanks for the nice words DLuders - it warms up here in cold Sweden :classic:

Having trouble opening getting this application to work right. For the 0.96 version I keep getting an error message saying that the database file is read only. For the 0.95 version I kept getting an error message that reads "Operation must use an updateable querry" when I'd try to import an .lxf file. Any help from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know if there are plans to make LDD Manager for Macs? I'm on a pc and I'm betting I wouldn't be having these kinds of trouble with a mac compatible verison.