lisqr

Review: 8896 Snake Canyon

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I saw this at TRU today. I just can't resist all the new sets and in the end got the smallest set.

Name: Snake Canyon

Theme: World Racer

Item #: 8896

Pcs: 57

Figs: 2

Year: 2010

MSRP: US$9.99

Box front

05192010085.jpg

Back shows the teams' names

05192010086.jpg

The minifigs are definitely the best part of this theme in my opinion.

Both minifigs have back printing and duo face. All the face printings are new which is great.

The gray helmet is the same as the new SP3 helmet, but with printing.

My pic doesn't show it very well, but the lime guy has a few scares on his face. :thumbup:

05192010094.jpg

05192010096.jpg

05192010097.jpg

The DSS is big for a set this size. The not so great aspect of this theme.

05192010087.jpg

Random instruction page shows the firing mechanism.

05192010088.jpg

Inventory. The bikes and the metallic silver trophy are the only interesting parts

05192010089.jpg

Extra parts.

05192010090.jpg

The complete set.

05192010092.jpg

The only play feature. If you press down on the missile, the rubber piece under it gets compressed and once you release it, it shoots out. A cute mechanism.

05192010093_copy.jpg

Conclusion: A nice little set. An easy way to get two bikes and two very nice minifigs. I can see someone army build a bike gang with this set. :thumbup: (someone do it)

Even if you don't like this theme, this is still a good set to get. A few bikers in a city layout is interesting too.

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Nice review! I want to get this so I can fina;;y get my hands on those new motorcycles :thumbup:

AWESOME little set 'lisqr' - thanks for the review ! :sweet:

I could make two of those battle bikes so they could shoot at each other ! :devil:

Plus also a realistic trail bike colour too - so COOL !

I see bike dealerships popping up I people's MOC'ed up towns and cities, while the missile systems, a few baddies add Batman, etc, COOL play scenes, it's never ending the ideas just from this simple set.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Nice review, I've been waiting for these World Racer sets to hit store shelves.

I like the new minifigs, and each team's color scheme. (Lime/White and Red/Black)

Thanks lisgr for sharing this early review with us.

I am pleased with the contest with this small set, especially the lime green scrambler and even the riders themselves are pretty cool looking. I thought "World Racers" will only be out in late summer, but it appears this set is now out at UK TRU. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review!

These World Racer sets look like they will be real winners in the playability department. The designs are very creative, and they seem to be loaded with functionality. An extra nod has to go out to the wild looking minifigs as well. :sweet:

I'm really not a fan of the excessive sticker usage (I don't mind applying them, I just always have fears of them getting damaged over time), but this set doesn't look too shabby with them left off as you've done.

Nice review!

I never heard news of this new theme but they seem great, especially considering a good pack for MODERFYCLES!!! :grin:

Nice review Lisqr. new lime green dirtbike mould, trophy. What's not to like about this set, except for stickers, screw those. These world racers are packed with functions. I'd say this theme is promising.

Thank you for the review! :classic:

I really love the minifigures of this set. :thumbup:

Edited by just2good

Great! Thanks for the review. I know I will be getting one (if not more) of this set, two motorcycles and some awesome racer figures! World Racers is my theme of 2010!

Nice little set. For this set (and perhaps the others in the series, if I get them), I'll strip the motorcycles of any weapons, because they're great by themselves.

Thanks for the review lisqr, definitely a set I'll get a couple of to add a different team to an off road bikers race.

Would it be possible to add a photo of just the green bike without the weaponry or rider?

Love the minifigs and the bikers. I don't mind the stickers though. That lime green bike's function is pretty cool. :classic: I do wish the black bike had some function to it, though. Nevertheless, this theme is promising. Definitely getting this one.

Nice set, awful price. Let's hope for some sale.

Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review!

I saw this set yesterday @ TRU and almost bought it ... should have ... oh well

I love the torso's they're pretty awesome!!

Stickers ...... whyyyyyyyy!!! there's more stickers in there than in many bigger sets arghhh...

Pirate

Just asking, on brickipedia, it says that these world racer sets, and some SW sets will be released in MAY/JUNE. When will it be released in Canada?

The face on the black minifig would be great on a bandit in a western MOC.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Great review! :thumbup: I'll be sure to consider Snake Canyon in my next round of purchases. At first, I thought the catapult was a new piece, but it seems to be just a minifig pot attached to this TECHNIC connector (which was first released in the 2006 Soccer sets IIRC).

Thanks for the review!

These World Racer sets look like they will be real winners in the playability department. The designs are very creative, and they seem to be loaded with functionality. An extra nod has to go out to the wild looking minifigs as well. :sweet:

I'm really not a fan of the excessive sticker usage (I don't mind applying them, I just always have fears of them getting damaged over time), but this set doesn't look too shabby with them left off as you've done.

You took the words right out of my mouth off my keyboard. :thumbup:

I'm finding it hard to believe that one snake makes it 'Snake Canyon'...

Maybe it's a super-mutant snake that acts more vicious than it appears. :tongue:

-Toa Of Justice

Cool Beans!!

I'll be picking this up just for the cool parts. That dirt bike helmet and sweet trphy to name a few. :thumbup:

I'm finding it hard to believe that one snake makes it 'Snake Canyon'...

Silly. :hmpf:

They're in a canyon with a snake, how is that hard to believe?

If you want two or more snakes, then it would have to be named Snakes Canyon, and they would have to jack the price up $10.

:tongue:

Edited by Spyder