7939 Cargo Train  

175 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

One more thought: I'm astonished, that TLC didn't hint at the possibility to use lights in the set! There's nothing in the instructions that makes you think of integrating any more functions.

Once again, TLC has missed a chance to sell more (LED sets 8870) and to increase the playing experience of the set.

I really wonder (and I don't understand to be honest) why they let this big chance go by. :sceptic:

I presume, and am probably wrong about it, that LEGO thinks anybody willing to integrate lighting will figure it out on their own (hence the arches to ease the integration for the non-prodigies ;) ) ; Billy Brat, age 10, who really wanted this LEGO train will probably not be very interested in the lights (initially). Add to that, lighting will put an extra drain on the batteries, so I can imagine parents being happy it's only powering the motor.

That said... maybe an extra flyer added with the instruction to hawk this kind of thing would have been a sound financial decision on LEGO's end.

Edited by Melfice

@ Holodoc: In regards to the 8-Channel Infrared Remote Control unit, does it REALLY have 8 different channels, or is it the same-old 8879 IR Speed Remote Control (with 2 sets of the same 4 channels) that's been out for a while? The exterior appearance of the 8-channel version (which you photographed and played with) looks the same as the existing 8879 unit. See the side-by-side comparison below. Maybe the insides are wired differently. Could you explain?

pict0030b.jpgx1967cx1.1248654277.jpg

Edited by dluders

@ Holodoc: In regards to the 8-Channel Infrared Remote Control unit, does it REALLY have 8 different channels, or is it the same-old 8879 IR Speed Remote Control (with 2 sets of the same 4 channels) that's been out for a while? The exterior appearance of the 8-channel version (which you photographed and played with) looks the same as the existing 8879 unit. See the side-by-side comparison below. Maybe the insides are wired differently. Could you explain?

I think it's a marketing ploy, because it can control 8 different motors / functions.

does anybody know if the LED PF lights will work with the older RC/9V? it looks like the same connection. 2x2

does anybody know if the LED PF lights will work with the older RC/9V? it looks like the same connection. 2x2

The bottom is different, I believe. If you want to connect any kind of Power Functions to RC or 9V you'll need either 8886 or 8871. Both are different lengths of extension wiring, both allowing you to either power the RC motor, or let 9V power the Power Functions.

*snip* Maybe the insides are wired differently. Could you explain?

You want me to look inside the RC unit??? No - no way. :tongue:

But you're right, theunits look completely the same from the outside.

I think it's a marketing ploy, because it can control 8 different motors / functions.

That is what I think, too.

Just built this set and although I am happy with the train, I am a little disappointed with the assembly of the tanker ends, they just don't clip on very well, anyone else notice this? the fit is almost as bad as the old train fronts from the remote control trains.

Paul

Maybe the insides are wired differently. Could you explain?

I've got both now (having just bought 7939, lovely set!) and they're both visually and functionally identical. I'm not going to open it up but I can't imagine there is any difference. I think it's a marketing ploy to indicate that you can now control up to 8 trains from one remote, a step up from the 3 with the previous RC remote.

Received this set today and was bummed when I saw that the train base plate for the engine was severely warped, scuffed, and had gouged edges. I requested a new one through Lego. The other loose pieces were fine. As always, more effort needs to be invested in packaging the instructions and sticker sheets, as mine were badly bent, but fortunately still usable.

I've got the engine assembled now and it looks better than I thought it would (lots of stickers though!). The on/off mechanism is clever. I was also surprised by the size of the remote (my first), a lot smaller than it appears to be in pictures (as if it were intended for a child's hands, go figure :wink: ).

I too have just bought and built this set and I noticed something that puzzles me. It is an electric engine, but the set includes a gantry crane. I can't imagine how the overhead wires and the crane could co-exist.

Other than that I've enjoyed this train, and am I happy with the price I paid since I got it for nearly 30% off. I'll probbably end up modding most of it heavily.

I too have just bought and built this set and I noticed something that puzzles me. It is an electric engine, but the set includes a gantry crane. I can't imagine how the overhead wires and the crane could co-exist.

During my PhD research I came across a solution for this. It's called "Kippfahrleitung" by Balfour Beatty Austria (the company that developed this solution) and involves a motor-controlled boom that lifts the overhead cables out of the way (pulls them up and back from the track). I was interested in an embedded system that was used to control these motors (ensuring all motors are operated synchronously on the section of railway line up to 1 km long).

Just an FYI!

During my PhD research I came across a solution for this. It's called "Kippfahrleitung" by Balfour Beatty Austria (the company that developed this solution) and involves a motor-controlled boom that lifts the overhead cables out of the way (pulls them up and back from the track). I was interested in an embedded system that was used to control these motors (ensuring all motors are operated synchronously on the section of railway line up to 1 km long).

Just an FYI!

Well I guess if the problem exists someone will have tried to solve it, but I'm surprised :-)

BTW I've worked in embedded systems too, I wrote code for the controllers of fruit sorting machines.

Perhaps, if the engine is like the BR Class 92, then it can run on overhead lines or a third rail, depending on what is available. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_92

Rob

Thanks for the great review. I am looking forward to purchasing this set.

I really like the engine and it is a great way to get the train, track and PF items all in one shot.

I am a late bloomer to Trains and the Emerald Night really got me interested in Lego trains.

Thanks for the great review. I am looking forward to purchasing this set.

I really like the engine and it is a great way to get the train, track and PF items all in one shot.

I am a late bloomer to Trains and the Emerald Night really got me interested in Lego trains.

This is exactly what I want to say as well.

-Noodles

My thoughts, as the Brickster says, are that I want this... but I won't go anywhere near it for 200 bucks.

I agree as well, now the Passenger Train 7938, that is a reasonable price, but almost $200 for the cargo train, that's a bit over the top don't you think? :angry: If TLC wants to make some good money this year with all the new sets (especially train) at least lower them to REASONABLE prices. I would gladly pay $150 for it, but $180 for it?!?! :wacko:

Could you use the Lights on this train? Im getting this for christmas and i want to know if the lights fit.

Does the 7938 passenger train light up?

I can understand the people not wanting to browse through 60+ pages topics, but both questions (8938 uses the same brick to contain the lights) are explained in this review right here.default_hmpf.gif I even changed the subtitle of the topic to tell there is a way to lighten up the train. default_sadnew.gif

sorry, i didnt see the post, thanks Holodoc, but could you make some step by step instructions? I dont quite understand them.

its not that difficult. You just put the lights in the front peice, and they have a convienent hole under the driver seat and the back wall in order to stick the cables.

Great review!

I think the set is very good, 4/5.

My favourite details:

- solid design and colour choice for the locomotive

- basically all wagons, especially interesting the containers wagon's bottom

- having two cars on the same wagon, also very realistic to have two very similar cars but in different colours

- the track provided is the best you can get for the size

- small battery box

Things that could be better:

- the crane, I am just getting tired of the giant-sized legs for every crane, make them brick-built (I don't believe it would cost more, they can use few normal bricks)

- there should have been 2 small containers or none, having 1 gives a feeling of incompleteness

- very small nitpick but the white car could have been another colour since the standalone tiny City car set is white

- the only thing I dislike about the locomotive is the "door" system, there should have been side doors

- while the truck looks very nice, I would not have included it in the set, thus making it ~30e cheaper

- price still too high

My own ratings:

- Pieces 7/10, lots of interesting parts but also quite a few too large parts

- Build 8/10, some really good moments (the containers wagon), but also some elements are made too simple by their large parts

- Minifigs 5/10, not many and a bit too standard

- Playability 10/10, hard to beat the playability of a powered full cargo train :P and the track parts provide some flexibility

- Price 6/10, by my standards it's still beyond the average family range, and in fact over here I've yet to see this set in any retail shop