Pieces: 839 (according to amazon.fr – I didn’t count them) :wink:

Minifigures: 4

Year of Release: 2010

Price at Release: 158,20 €

Bricklink (no info yet)

Peeron (no info yet)

Brickset

my BS-folder

Please klick on the photos to be directed to bigger photos in my BS-folder.

INTRODUCTION

After the 9V electric track period ended in 2005 we saw the new IR trains on plastic railway in 2006 and the Power Functions Emerald Night in 2009.

Now it’s time to prepare for another train series, wich combines the PF functions of the EN with a less expensive battery box and a new motor. Two new train sets are about to hit the shelves in the near future, the passenger train (7938) and the cargo train (7939). Along with these sets we will receive a new small train station (7937) with passenger bridge and a small level crossing (7936).

Ladies and Gentlemen, please get aboard the all new cargo train and enjoy the ride. Sorry, cookies will be served on the passenger train only. :wink:

A very special thanks goes to our beloved member #1 for sending me this great set via amazon.fr! :wub:

BOX

Nothing really special about the box. The front (as we already know):

1box.jpg

And the back:

pict0006.jpg

On all other sides of the box, there’s no detail shot or other pictures, it just shows that there is a 8-channel IR remote inside.

INSTRUCTIONS

Are you really interested in the instructions? :hmpf:

The instructions start with a page of how to get the batteries inside their destination. You need 6 AAA (!) batteries for the new box inside the train and another 3 AAA to work the remote control. The next page shows how to deal with the latter. There’s also a link to a trouble shooting site on the net. I hope this is not forecasting any problems… :laugh:

instr.jpg

One thing I was pretty amazed about is, that TLC “forgot” the piece callout! Nevertheless is this no fact to fear about - for the younger audience this is no problem at all, the instructions are very easy to follow, it’s always just a few bricks to add on one step.

Have a look at the instructions:

Step 30 - the 1x2 brick with grill is added,

step 31 - the curved sloped brick in bley,

step 32 - the 1x2 plate with handle on side. One brick - one step. Is this the future of instructions?

This results in 6 (!) instruction booklets, with the locomotive one being the biggest.

One good thing about it: You can have the complete family building at the same time:

pict0025.jpg

PARTS

The contents of the big box:

pict0008.jpg

8 parts packs, 8 straight tracks, 16 curved, 16 flexible tracks, 2 points, 8 magnetic couplings, 2 train bases, 1 IR remote control, 1 IR receiver, 1 motor, 1 battery box and a (crumpled :angry: ) sticker sheet:

pict0010.jpg

WOW! That's a lot filling the table. :cry_happy: But all in all "just" 839 pieces.

We get a new battery box on this train!

battery1.jpg

battery2.jpg

battery3.jpg

It has got the same size like the rechargeable one that came with the Emerald Night, which is very good as it is rectangular and smaller than the old one. The size is 4x8x4. It definitely fits better inside every train than the older one (never used in trains I have to admit) and is a lot smaller than the old build-in-baseplate we saw in 7898. Due to the size the body is only suited for 6 AAA (!) batteries. For now it all works well - I cannot say anything about the run-time of the train so far.

battery4.jpg

A comparison of all the battery boxes of the last years. Left the rechargeable one, in the middle the new one, to the right the older battery boxes seen in technic models mostly.

(Of course you can fill the new battery box with rechargeable batteries as well, but don't ask me about their performance)

The new motor comes with a build-in cable connection:

pict0015.jpg

The IR remote control:

pict0030b.jpg

TLC proudly presents the 8 channel IR RC, but for driving one train only, this steering is a bit oversized. The only functions you need is one steering wheel and the stop button. Driving a bigger layout is something completey different though. It's good to see that TLC implemented some spare functions here. :thumbup:

The bad thing: This train does NOT come with any lights! :cry_sad:

I don't know if this is because of the limited power supply with the new battery box or if it has some other reason, but I miss the lights!

TFOLS will surely miss the sound, like in set 7898, too. It's just a small step, but that's a step back.

THE BUILD

Bag 1: The main engine – lower half

Contents of the bag:

bag1.jpg

and interesting parts:

bag1b.jpg

The fabulous 2x4 tiles, a brand new 2x2 modified facet brick in yellow and a new train front base - brick.

I like the fact that TLC seems to give away new and wanted bricks. One example is the new yellow bogie plate, but in the built of the locomotive there is another place where TLC used the new 2x4 tiles instead of operating with "average" 2x4 plates or a 4x4 plate:

pict0031.jpg

both tiles are completey covered by the 4x10 plate on top:

pict0032.jpg

and there are 2x4 plates being used in blue and bley - so this cannot be the answer.

Anyway - thank you, TLC, for another 2 2x4 tiles! :thumbup:

loco1.jpg

getting started...

loco2.jpg

... and having finished the first bag. The crew is eagerly awaiting the completion.

Bag 2: The main engine – upper half

Contents of the bag:

bag2.jpg

The yellow cab has been seen in one set only so far, the Outrigger Construction Crane, a 4Juniors :sick: set from 2003. These parts of course are junorized in a way, but they perfectly fit with a train (and I love them! :tongue: ).

loco3.jpg

continuing the build.

loco4.jpg

This is where the battery box (to the right) and the IR receiver (to the left) come in.

loco5.jpg

Top view with all walls completed.

loco6.jpg

This is how the cabin opens. Now get seated.

loco7.jpg

Side view. I love that train! :wub:

One note about the stickers: The fit perfectly with the black construction underneath the baseplate, but they don't work well on the yellow bricks. :hmpf_bad: Chance lost, TLC!

loco8.jpg

To "start" the batteries, please press here.

loco9.jpg

The orange plate indicates where the switch is.

Bag 3: The tanker waggon

Contents of the bag:

bag3.jpg

and interesting parts:

bag3b.jpg

Yellow bogie plates! (They actually belong to bag 1, 4 and 8). I don't know why exactly there are yellow ones (you can hardly see them in the finished model), but it is always good to have some color variation! :thumbup:

Did we see the half cylinders before? I'm not sure, the ones from the Wind Turbine Transport (7747) are smaller. The other piece is mentioned below in bag 4.

tanker1.jpg

The completed waggon.

tanker2.jpg

I really like the design of the waggon and I wished they were sold seperately... Think of a train with 10 of those cars behind the locomotive. With one of the first photos of the new set we have seen such a layout. It looks terrific! I just cannot find the link to it right now...

tanker3.jpg

tanker4.jpg

Comparison shots to the older tanker 10016. The exclusive model is a good bit bigger and longer, too (but due to this reason it won't fit into the train engine shed 10027 :tongue: ). Both are looking good, but I don't think it's a good idea to use both in one train.

Bag 4: The container waggon

Contents of the bag:

bag4.jpg

Here again we find a new mould: The triangular-I-don't-know-whatever-it-will-be-called-piece. See a closer picture above.

waggon1.jpg

waggon2.jpg

Nothing very spectacular about this car. It looks really good with the new mould giving it a more leightweight design. It can carry two smaller containers (6x12) or one bigger one (6x24). This set comes with one copy of both. Note though that the use of the containers for example from the city harbour set 7994 looks rather stupid, they are 2 bricks smaller (6x10).

boxes1.jpg

Too sad... :cry_sad:

boxes2.jpg

Bag 5: The cars waggon

Contents of the bag:

bag5.jpg

cars4b.jpg

The waggon itself.

cars5.jpg

cars6.jpg

Loaded with the two minis. They tend to fall from the 2x2 jumper plate though. A weird construction to have them fixed to the base. :look:

cars4.jpg

cars1.jpg

cars2.jpg

The minis are looking good for themselves and fit great with the small car 3177

cars7.jpg

the latter to the right (without the license plate), if...

cars3.jpg

... there wasn't the 2x2 yellow plate on the backside. :hmpf:

Well, this is a concession to the parts/color palette I believe. Having another 2x2 plate in a different color would have driven up the costs. Still it's a bad idea, the set 3177 looks so much better (to the right again):

cars8.jpg

Bag 6: The crane

Contents of the bag:

bag6.jpg

Far better than the stupid looking cargo crane 4514 from 2003:

crane1.jpg

Now in working mode:

crabe2.jpg

crane3.jpg

crane4.jpg

The minifig working the crane is sitting far above the whole thing with a 360° turnable chair. I can think of worse working conditions. :laugh:

END OF PART 1

Nice! This is one of the best Train sets in the past 5 years IMO :thumbup:

BTW, that white "Smart" looks more like a Fiat 500 in my eyes :tongue:

Edited by prateek

Thank you for replying so fast, prateek :wink: - now I can upload

PART 2:

Bag 7: The truck

Contents of the bag:

bag7.jpg

Now for the bad part of this set: The truck.

truck1.jpg

truck2.jpg

truck3.jpg

It looks that the designers run out of bricks or out of money (or both) when it came to the truck. This is the worst 6-wide truck I have seen so far! Look at the front! :sick: Just the 1x2 plates with grille and that's it? No rear view mirrors.

At least Klaus-Dieter once again will be pleased: The truck has got doors! "Hurray" for that, "Nay" to the rest.

Bag 8: The trailer and the small yellow container

Contents of the bag:

bag8.jpg

trailer1.jpg

pure,

tariler2.jpg

loaded with the small container

trailer3.jpg

and with the "big red".

Now get the containers on the road:

truck4.jpg

truck5.jpg

No doubt: The all red truck is better looking.

MINIFIGURES

loco10.jpg

4 Minifigs are included: The train driver, a (random) railroad worker, the truck driver and the crane operator.

CONCLUSION

pict0077.jpg

This set is surely a nice one, containing hours of fun for you and the whole family. Did we get a better cargo train the last years? It depends on how you look at it. The variety of submodels is amazing and offers a great playability, but there are some facts I cannot overlook: I’m missing the lights and I’m sure in contrast to the older cargo train 7898 the children will be missing the horn as well. The crane is definitely better that the thing we saw in 4514 but it cannot compete against 4555 (which, to be honest, was never part of a train set, it was sold separately). The truck is, well, I said what I had to say above.

But this is all criticism on a high level!

In my opinion the main engine is one of the most beautiful engines we have seen for quite a while, if not the best of all cargo trains so far! I love the tanker wagon and wished TLC would sell it separately! I would surely buy a couple more. The cars wagon is okay, so is the container wagon. I love the new parts used in the latter. The oval you can build with the track is a perfect start to get the trains rolling, but wanting to play “seriously” would let you come to the conclusion that you need more.

pict0079.jpg

Here's one suggestion for a slight improvement to the crane (idea comes from my son Lukas): Just add some more rails to the left and right of the main track and put the crane on wheels! It works pretty well:

suggest.jpg

RATINGS

Pieces: 8/10 - We receive a nice selection of bricks, especially usable for trains: The yellow bogie plate, the yellow cabin and the new train front base. But also we get some new bricks that are useful outside the train system: The new 2x2 modified facet brick, the whatever-this-may-be-called triangular grilled piece and the cylinder halfes.

Minifigures: 6/10 - Nothing special. I could have reliquished on the new face with the white glasses, but if you all like it... And I guess my favour for female minifigs is a bit misplaced in a cargo train. :grin:

Build: 8/10 - Again nothing special to build but all in all very diversified. You build a train, 3 waggons, 2 cars, a crane. Nothing repetitive. Fun to build, especially when splitting the instructions with the whole family.

Price: 8/10 What did you expect? 160€ for the biggest train set - that's okay. And I believe there will be a lot people in other countries who will pay a lot more. Somehow I expect the amazon price to be lower than normal and I wonder how it will end up whenever it is available in Germany.

Playability: perfect 10/10! As I stated before: If you want to buy a Lego set primarily for playability THIS is the set to get! I don't think you will get anything better than this at the moment!

Overall: Although the calculated ratings would result in a 8/10 I'm not sure if this is fair enough. For me playability is far more important than parts selection and minifigs (in this case :wink:).

I rate it 9/10.

A 10/10 could have been achieved by adding lights, using printed parts and designing a better truck.

I hope you all enjoyed reading the review as I enjoyed building and playing with this magnificent set.

One last picture (and my favourite) celebrating the new train:

loco12.jpg

Thanks for the very detailed review!

I'm going to be taking the plunge for the first time with Lego trains, and this is the set I look forward most to getting. It really is a thorough kit with plenty included for maximum playability. I too would have liked to have seen the lights added for example, but had you not pointed it would I probably would not have missed them.

I've got a few dozen rechargeable AA batteries, but only a handful of AAAs. It will be interesting to see how efficient this solution is, though I see myself springing for the separate rechargeable battery box.

Thanks again for the wonderful review.

Thanks so far.

I forgot to post one more picture! :blush:

All cargo engines from 2000-2010 compared:

trains.jpg

(once again click on the pic to receive a bigger photo)

Thank you for a very detailed review of this set. I agree that the train engine is one of the best that has been seen in quite a few years. However, I was disappointed to learn that the cargo containers from the City Harbor do not work well on the train, as they are 2 studs too short. Since I recently made a bunch of recolored 3117 small cars I feel that I do not really need the cars included as "freight" in this train. I very much agree that the truck could use a bunch of work to make it look better, and that it seems to be just a "thrown together" addition. So, due to the fact that I have a still working (and very useful) BNSF in my city acting as a cargo train, I do not feel the need to get this set. Thanks again however, for the great review that has helped convice me of my standing about this set.

Thank You for the brilliant review. I really like this set and will probably get it when it comes out. The two new mini cars are great for a bit of variation especially with the number plates. Also I really like the design of the new crane and the way you can move it.

Overall a neat little set. :thumbup:

Outstanding review Holodoc! Thank you for taking the time to provide a comprehensive and high quality review. :thumbup:

My thoughts in regard to this train are pretty simple, and that is, I want it!

LEGO cargo trains have a very special place for me and I love to see LEGO still producing them - a timeless subtheme/component of trains in my opinion.

The engine is very nice and it is good to see LEGO change the style from that of the past two cargo trains, that you've nicely pictured for comparison. I have the other two as well. It is unfortunate that LEGO didn't provide lighting for this yellow beauty. It is strange to see the wire permanently attached to the motor.

Those smaller Octan tanks are quite nice and I agree with you. One would make an excellent stand-alone train car. The smaller size looks much better than the wider ones from the MOT collection. I especially like the design of the middle section with ladder.

I like the mini car transporter, a nice addition to the train; and it's been a long time since LEGO offered one in a set. The container transporter and crane add to the quality and play value of the set.

Let's see... 158 Euro puts this train at close to $200 dollars here in the U.S - pricey. I hope to see a lower price tag, but overall, it is a nice one that I'd love to add to my collection.

Thanks again for the fantastic review! :wub:

Very detailed review Holodoc! :thumbup:

Nice set. Maybe this will be the first LEGO Train set I buy!

I love the main engine. :wub:

Thanks for the review, Holodoc. The set looks very promising, with no major dissapointments, but one little thing.

What does the back-side on the new train-front brick look like? I'm curious as to wether it's possible to fit the standard LEDs inside of it or not.

Awesome review Holodoc :classic: This set has great playability and if I was a kid I'd probably faint upon opening the box :tongue:

However I'm still undecided about this set, mainly because of the NZ RRP of $400.

I think the (European) pricing is okay considering what you get, and is probably priced to steal sales from the entry level model train sets from the likes of Hornby. This offers a lot more excitement for young children than the average kid who likely values play features above realism.

Edited by VMLN8R

Thanks for the review, Holodoc! How does this engine compare in speed and pulling power to the one from 7898? Is the new motor with attached PF cable different from the old RC motor?

Could you use the rechargeable battery box that came with the emerald night on both this and the passenger train?

Edited by dkrbarca

Awesome review.

One note about the triangular wings, however.

They're not a new mould. They've been used in an older Space theme, called Exploriens from 1996.

It's part 30036.

After that, it's been used in several other themes as well.

Also, regarding the containers from 7994, I'm sure it's not that hard to jury-rig some supports for those containers. ;)

Could you use the rechargeable battery box that came with the emerald night on both this and the passenger train?

I see no reason why you couldn't. They're both the same dimension. If anything, you should be able to get a better performance out of the train if you do. The new PF motors are regeared in such a way that they give the same performance under 6 AAA's as the old RC ones gave under 6 AA's. The Rechargeable PF battery equals 6 AA, I believe (though not completely? Eh...).

As such, more power to the motor.

Edited by Melfice

What does the back-side on the new train-front brick look like? I'm curious as to wether it's possible to fit the standard LEDs inside of it or not.

I'll take a photo of that tomorrow.

Thanks for the review, Holodoc! How does this engine compare in speed and pulling power to the one from 7898? Is the new motor with attached PF cable different from the old RC motor?

The speed and pulling power are still to be figured out, but my two sons are already waiting to start their analysis. :wink:

Regarding the motor I found this over here:

„... the new LPF Train Motor looks much like the former from the outside, it has been reengineered from the inside. It has more motor power and is more efficient. The new train runs as long on AAA batteries as the former did on AA batteries.“

Whatever that will mean in the end...

I didn't try so far, but my estimation would be "Yes!". I'll keep you updated.

They're not a new mould. They've been used in an older Space theme, called Exploriens from 1996.

It's part 30036.

Thanks for the heads-up, Melfice!

Used in 1996, 1997, 2001, 2008 & 2009! *oh2* I've never seen it before...

Now we finally know how this triangular-whatever-thing is called: Wedge, Plate 8 x 6 x 2/3 with Grill. Phew! :cry_happy:

I'm not a Train guy, but yeah, I want this set badly. :tongue:

If all goes well, this will be my first!

Thanks for the review!

Thank you 'Holdoc' for your review - dam, COOL train set ! :grin:

The engine far better than the last green one, with an interesting new drive motor.

Nice fuel tanker, simple container flat bed and man, AWESOME overhead crane ! :grin:

The red prime mover - I really really like it ! :wub:

But at $299AU might just be out of my range unless it goes on sale, but at least it's NOT an exclusive to one retailer like the last one !

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Thanks for the review. I think it is worth getting. Hopefully there will be some sales before Christmas. :classic:

Thanks for the great review Holodoc. :thumbup: The train itself looks great, and the crane and truck just add to it to make it a brilliant set overall. The AAA battery pack is a bit disappointing, but understandable when you consider the price point of this set and all the safety regulations that toy companies have to adhere to these days.

It would be great if you could let us know how the new PF train motor performs. I'd love to know how good the speed regulation is, and how much of a load it can pull. These were the two most disappointing aspects of the RC trains - they would run away and fly off corners when run under light load, yet struggle with only 4 or 5 cars behind them!

Of note from bag 6 is what seems to be a new trapdoor piece (sitting next to the minifig in the picture) as well as another use of part 47507 (Cockpit 6 x 6 x 2 Cabin Base with Technic Holes) in Dark Bley (it has to date only been seen in yellow in a 4 juniors set and in black in a Bionicle and an Alpha Team set)

Sorry, hate to be such a negative guy, but that this is the nicest since 2005 isn't saying much... (no, I can't let go of the 9V baggage).

My thoughts, as the Brickster says, are that I want this... but I won't go anywhere near it for 200 bucks.

TLG is making it fairly easy this year to ween myself off LEGO.

Edited by fred67

Sorry, hate to be such a negative guy, but that this is the nicest since 2005 isn't saying much... (no, I can't let go of the 9V baggage).

My thoughts, as the Brickster says, are that I want this... but I won't go anywhere near it for 200 bucks.

TLG is making it fairly easy this year to ween myself off LEGO.

i agree about the price. what kid could aford 200 bucks for a train? lego again aims sets at spoiled rich kids, or adults who can aford it.

on another note...... awesome set!!!!! i want it!!!!! and... great review!

Thanks Holodoc for this brilliant review :thumbup:

This is my favorite cargo train set to date :wub: It has an amazing engine that I really like the design on.

I also like all your comparison pictures, that is good stuff. :classic:

The new PF I like and are nice, all I will need is the rechargeable battery box and wall charger though :grin:

The octan tanker is my favorite of the trailers. The other two are nice.

As for the crane, it is also very nice. The red truck does look strange but I don't completely outright dislike it :grin:

I will buy this set for sure

Rated "Outstanding" :classic: