Pieces: ???

Minifigs: 4

Price: 31,27 Euro

Front of the box

1.jpg

Back of the box - lovely images especially the one in the bottom right corner

2.jpg

The contents

There are 4 numbered bags, the four straight rail tracks and sticker sheet. There are 2 instruction booklets.

4.jpg

3.jpg

Bag 1 - The Taxi

The taxi has enough room for two minifigures

6.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Bag 2 - The Ticket Office

This features a computer, drinks stand, sliding doors and a poster for the new Yellow Truck

11.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Bag 3 - Left platform

14.jpg

15.jpg

Bag 4 - Right platform leading to complete assembly

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

There are some spare pieces (the usuals: cheese, flowers etc) but unfortunately my cat has scattered them about the floor

The verdict

I've been really looking forward to getting this set since seeing the blurry photos. I took Huw's advise at Brickset to order it through Amazon.fr and they arrived today. I also bought 7936 Level Crossing which I will review tomorrow if I get time. I like this set and think it will fit reaaly well into a city layout. Like most people I intend to extend the bridge over two tracks. I will probably be making some more taxis too. Go buy it...

Richard

Edited by TheBrickster

Darn you lucky Europeans and your Amazon.fr. Haha makes me jealous. Very nice review. I'm pleased by the large variety of pieces and the larger parts used but I'm disappointed by the minifigures. I have so many of that one girl's torso I could make a small army. Are there no other female torsos out there?

Thanks for sharing an early image review of this station BTT. I've added a poll and indexed this review (also front paged!) :thumbup:

I would ask that you please watch your image size though. Our site guidelines are 800x600 max. Usually 640x480 works just fine for image reviews.

In regard to this set: even though I find it more of a platform than a station (although there is the small structure), I really like the overhead bridge. I think LEGO trains always look good driving through tunnels and overhead structures for added fun.

It's a nice set, but I'm still thinking about how I'd rate it overall.

EDIT: I rated it a 4.

Great review and the first of the 4 train sets here :thumbup:

I like this little station, very functional and modern.

Another set of tracks added on the other side would be perfect, as it is, it looks a little awkward.

Nice feature is soda rack in the train station.

Average figure selection.

The taxi actually hold 2 people, good job LEGO :tongue:

I rated it "Above Average" or a "4"

Edited by Macoco

The walkway is a nice idea, and well-executed, but the rest leaves me fairly cold. I think the taxi looks fairly awful, too. What a shame, they could have gone with a classic old-fashioned design but instead this looks more like a larger version of the postal van from 2008 :sceptic:

I seem to be one of the few that really liked the 2007 yellow train station with black roof. At least it was a proper building with lots of great details such as the turnstiles, shop and roof area.

I won't be rushing to grab this, but thanks for the early review! :thumbup:

Love the review, you did a great job on the photos! I like the set but I would really love it if the cab were a separate set, lol

I seem to be one of the few that really liked the 2007 yellow train station with black roof. At least it was a proper building with lots of great details such as the turnstiles, shop and roof area.

i agree, but this is cool because ts more like a stop, or part of a station.

and when are trains coming to the US!!! :)

Thanks 'Brick Town Talk' for this review - how the smeg did I miss this yesterday ? :blush:

Station - cute - simple - what I kid needs in a simple train setup.

Overhead bridge - nice - could be nicer with handrails though.

Taxi - Meh - take it or leave it - remember it's made for a price and it does say train station not taxi rank ! :grin:

Added to buy list for this year - I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

I'm in love with this set! :wub:

It reminds me of the old classic Train days of the Santa Fe, BNSF and the Level Crossing (with rail truck).

I'm going to have to pick this one up! :wink:

Thanks for the review!

~A.S.

It reminds me of the old classic Train days of the Santa Fe, BNSF and the Level Crossing (with rail truck).

It's great to see some enthusiasm!

But; a gentle suggestion, there are people of many ages here, and if you refer to a set released

in 2004 as 'old' or 'classic' you don't leave those who remember 12v or even 4.5v Blue rail trains

anywhere to go.

This is particularly relevant in the case of the station which, as noted before, bears a passing resemblance to 7822

Now that's old classic train days!

I have so many of that one girl's torso I could make a small army. Are there no other female torsos out there?

Really? Has it been published in any other set aside the Camper and the Grand Emporium? I can't remember any other, at least...

I'm more bothered that the girl doesn't have a female face, but a common "modern smiley head".

As for this set itself, it doesn't offer anything of appeal to me. For a train station, it's very stripped down and bland.

This is particularly relevant in the case of the station which, as noted before, bears a passing resemblance to 7822

No offence, but this walk well out of the "passing resemblance" territory, and straight into homage land.

Anyway, I don't see how people are complaining.

1) You get twice the amount of platform you got from 7997. (Maybe a little bit less than twice, not sure...)

2) Keeping it as it is, with maybe some light alterations, means you can fit twice as many trains on the station as you can on (again) 7997.

3) If you don't like the station's build itself, you can use it to lengthen (you guessed it) 7997's platform, if you have it (or any other trainstation that is more to your liking).

Nice set; I like that LEGO went for a totally different design to last year's yellow station, as over time it means we get a variety of structures rather than variations on a theme in consecutive years.

Hmmmm - in addition to all the Star Wars, modular buildings, upcoming Harry Potter, PoP, and Toy Story stuff I can see myself buying the station, level crossing and 2 new trains as well when they appear in the UK. Is it physically possible to drown in LEGO ? And has LEGO ever been cited in a divorce case ?

:-)

It's a nice set...

Hmmmm - in addition to all the Star Wars, modular buildings, upcoming Harry Potter, PoP, and Toy Story stuff I can see myself buying the station, level crossing and 2 new trains as well when they appear in the UK. Is it physically possible to drown in LEGO ? And has LEGO ever been cited in a divorce case ?

:-)

No I haven't but I doubt she'd want half of the Lego! :laugh:

What I don't like, I wish they had made the walkway 2 tracks wide, I've never seen a train station where you can get onto the same train from both sides of the train, the doors only ever open one side, therefore the solution is 2 tracks, accessing 1 train from either platform.

I think this set will look good if I can buy 4 of them, widen the bridges, this will make like a larger modular train station,

but the price seems reasonable?

What I don't like, I wish they had made the walkway 2 tracks wide, I've never seen a train station where you can get onto the same train from both sides of the train, the doors only ever open one side, therefore the solution is 2 tracks, accessing 1 train from either platform.

I think this set will look good if I can buy 4 of them, widen the bridges, this will make like a larger modular train station,

This has been brought up before.

There are several stations still in existence where, in the past, passengers could access the train from both sides. Over time, however, railway companies found out this brought more work for the conductors and increased danger.

At such a point, the companies decided to ever only allow one side of the train's doors to be unlocked, and they barred off the other side of the platform that would allow access.

Here are two examples from the Netherlands:

Oldenzaal:

6719585.jpg

Note: The other side of the left platform (platform 2) is still in use. You just can't enter the train on platform 1 from there anymore.

Almelo:

almelozakspoor.jpg

Edited by Melfice

I've never seen a train station where you can get onto the same train from both sides of the train, the doors only ever open one side

This is not a problem as new trains don't have doors! :angry:

This is not a problem as new trains don't have doors! :angry:

That's becuase they're imaginary! Why do you think the cabs hinge upwards?

(mocking taken off)

But on a more realistic note, doors are quite big, especially at 4 studs long when the whole model is about 34.

Actually most trains are accesable from both sides of the train.

If the next stop on the track was a terminus then it seems logical that you'd have this stop with two platforms inbound/outbound and just one track. The station could also be on a loop system in which case trains would only be going one way.

I'm not too sure about the taxi design. It doesn't look like any taxi I've ever seen. I think it's the strong sloping front and the 1x4 holding the two roof pieces together that spoil it for me. The colour is wishy washy too. They should have gone with the green and yellow as seen in the TRU fan's choice artwork. Get some more colours on the City roads.

The station itself isn't bad for a small provincial one. It's a little worrying that there's no hand rails on the bridge steps and the bridge handrail is so low. Obviously there are very surefooted minifigs in Lego City.

I do like the station sign. Adding the word 'City across the middle of the railway logo really makes it pop. And the new truck in town poster sticker is pretty cool. Would that fit on a 4x5 window? might look better with a frame around it.

The telephone at the platform edge also looks a little unsafe. I'd put it at the back of the platform myself. I'd also turn the clock sideways on with a second clock tile at the back. most stations I've been to have the clocks facing along the platform.

I can see this fitting in well on the outskirts of any tabletown. maybe combined with the level crossing. Perhaps out near the farm or towards the docks. It's definitely not an inner City station to me.

I also kind of wish Lego would make up their mind about the City train station colour scheme. red or yellow. or is it red for branch lines and yellow for intercity?

Over all I think lego could have done better. The dominating part of the set is the bridge and it looks clunky and unfinished. A wall or fence at the back of the platforms would have finished off the set better and just a little more thought about where the components sit on the set could have made it look a little more flashy.

I can't see myself buying this set. If this is an homage to 7822 then probably following the design of that set more closely would have worked out better. I'm going to stick with my 7997 station.

Thank you very much for this great review, Brick Town Talk! :classic:

I voted for average :hmpf_bad: - and that only when judging it as a train stop and not as a real train station.

Pro:

-great pedestrian bridge

-two platforms

-taxi

Cons:

-too short platforms

-no car doors for the taxi

-platforms on both sides of one track instead of having two tracks between them

-much too small building

To put it in a nutshell:

All in all it's a quite nice set if you count it as a train stop.

But for TLG calling it train station it's a huge disappointment.

I personall would have preferred to get a decent train station. And the pedestrian bridge could have been sold seperately with the level crossing or some other trackside structure.

I really hope that - at the latest with a new train theme in three or four years - we'll get again a huge and decent train station like the classic train stations from the ninetees (with ticket stand, waiting area, kiosk, office, long and large platforms and luggage transport car)!

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Although that the whole concept is interesting there is something that makes me to be sceptical about this set. A "complete" station would have been better I think, taking into consideration that a new batch of trains is on the way.

I also don't like the use of the dark grey plates as the primary surface of the platform. It makes the station look too dark. Light grey plates would have been better in my opinion.

(Perhaps it's because of my strong dislike for this colour.)

Anyway, I give it a 3.5. Fair and square.

I actually like this station a lot. I find it simple, yet visually appealing. It's been a very long time since we've had a station similar to this, and I'm happy to see this design return. There are some lovely little details as well, such as the flowers, that make this set feel "alive" and not as sterile as some other recent sets. The taxi is a bonus in my opinion, and I'm glad that it's included.