Siegfried

10213 Shuttle Adventure

Not really sure why there's US flag prints/stickers on the spaceship (I'm guessing stickers), since it's probably going to be an international release.

Err... because the USA and only the USA built, owned and operated this type. The closest any other country got was the USSR with Buran...

post-1554-1273211748.jpg

...which was similar but still very different.

It will look so cool next to the older 10029 lunar lander.

:wub: That's a dream set of mine.

Edited by Siegfried
Changed image... darn free hosts.

It appears that, like many SW sets, dark translucent pieces are used for windows, but they are only there for appearances and do not offer functionality. The shuttle looks very good, quite accurate overall. The stepped look of the rudder's leading edge looks a bit out of place, and I'm surprised there's not a sticker to cover that up, or that the designers didn't use a different method for creating the effect. Concerning the large brown fuel tank , I'm surprised they used the method they did over using these: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47543

The lights around the shuttle are a bit superfluous, and I'd rather they have put those parts to good use in a gantry or ground support equipment. I'm curious to see the seating arrangement; there looks to be enough space for them to sit in-line, one behind the other. It has retractable landing gear!...a definite rarity on any System set designed for figs. :thumbup: Kudos aplenty for the effort! I hope that particular feature finds itself into more System sets. All it needs now is a deployable parachute! :laugh:

Looking forward to the first reviews of this.

Edited by M'Kyuun

"Shuttle Adventure, this is mission control: You are clear for lift off. Begin countdown sequence immediately..."

"Roger that mission control: Shuttle Adventure is ready for lift off."

"Beginning countdown sequence:" 10...9...8... "Prepare ignition system"...7...6...

"Er... Mission control, this commander Johnsen: Who let my old girlfriend come on this mission?"

...5... "Who knows, but it is too late to stop now."...4..."Activate ignition system"...3..."Well anyway have a nice trip commander Johnsen,"...2..."And enjoy your time in space..."...1..."Wait,... NOOOO!!!!"...0..."Blast off!"

**Shuttle Adventure soars towards the sky shrinking ever so quickly from view,,,, A distorted faint radio message is heard by the mission control crew: "crAckle... Jameson,.. CracKle...I'll get you for this! CrAcKle CracKle"

Oh the little details and what not. Truly the USAF Adventure is a magnificent ship. Too bad it never actually flew. Someone will need to print some Atlantis decals and apply them instead as memorial to the great space shuttle program. But alas we will have to wait to find out all of its fine features.

"Shuttle Adventure, this is mission control: You are clear for lift off. Begin countdown sequence immediately..."

"Roger that mission control: Shuttle Adventure is ready for lift off."

"Beginning countdown sequence:" 10...9...8... "Prepare ignition system"...7...6...

"Er... Mission control, this commander Johnsen: Who let my old girlfriend come on this mission?"

...5... "Who knows, but it is too late to stop now."...4..."Activate ignition system"...3..."Well anyway have a nice trip commander Johnsen,"...2..."And enjoy your time in space..."...1..."Wait,... NOOOO!!!!"...0..."Blast off!"

**Shuttle Adventure soars towards the sky shrinking ever so quickly from view,,,, A distorted faint radio message is heard by the mission control crew: "crAckle... Jameson,.. CracKle...I'll get you for this! CrAcKle CracKle"

Hehe! :laugh:

Oh the little details and what not. Truly the USAF Adventure is a magnificent ship. Too bad it never actually flew. Someone will need to print some Atlantis decals and apply them instead as memorial to the great space shuttle program. But alas we will have to wait to find out all of its fine features.

I agree. I really like this. However I'm not sure, if I'm gonna buy it - I am a Star Wars collector ..... :cry_sad:

This is a must-have for me as well. I have the 7470 too, but i find this one quite interesting and very very nice. I only hope the quality of the pieces worths the price... It would be around 110€, and i would appreciate a little cheaper :cry_happy:

There seem to be some new 1x3x2 rounded slopes (in dark grey) on the support pillars, they appear to be made to fit the quarter domes in PoP and GE... or maybe it isn't a new piece?

To me, there's something wrong with its nose.. And the windows are a bit out of proportion in comparison with the minifigs. :tongue:

It doesnt look bad, but I prefer the old shuttle! :thumbup:

Personally I think the size of the windows compared with the rest of the aircraft is very good, the real SpaceShuttle also has very tiny windows compared to the rest of the ship. Although the Lego SpaceShuttle isn't really minifig-scale then :classic:

The grey parts seem to be this one:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=33243

Each stand has 4 of them visible in the picture

A little bit disappointing that they didnt use a real shuttle name on there (like they did with the 7470) but maybe NASA wouldn't let them use the names or any NASA logos, if you look at the logos on the torso and the wing and the car thing, you can see they are different to any NASA logo.

Or maybe they didnt want to make it representative of any specific shuttle mission.

Given that the doors open, maybe there is a robot arm inside.

Looks like a great set. I love the space theme, including the last shuttle and the Apollo line. I can't quite tell what's printed on the side, does it say "Adventure?" I believe the other shuttle was "Discovery" am I correct?

This looks interesting. Theres a nice amount of white elements which is good for me.

I think ill wait until i see reviews of it.

LegoGalactus

I can't quite tell what's printed on the side, does it say "Adventure?" I believe the other shuttle was "Discovery" am I correct?

There are several, and while Adventure is on the side there isn't one with that name!

OV-101 Enterprise (Not designed for space)

OV-099 Challenger (Originally built as a test bed, destroyed.)

OV-102 Columbia (First launch, destroyed)

OV-103 Discovery

OV-104 Atlantis

OV-105 Endeavour (Youngest; first mission was 1992)

(I'm hoping that there's a sticker sheet with all the names.)

Sweet, I will get this for sure. It will look so cool next to the older 10029 lunar lander.

Another expensive year with LEGO

It definitely will look great besides it. :cry_happy:

And yes, another brick in the expensive wall.

Thanks again for another high-res picture, grogall!

Did anybody realize that there's one female astronaut? Cool! :wub:

The dark orangeish part of the shuttle (sorry, I know nothing about shuttles :grin:) looks very pleasing to the eye! What color is it? The new PoP color?

Unlike Svelte I think it looks like the new nougat color.

Just noticed that the logo on the wing has the rocket from the classic Space logo, but in orbit around the Earth. Great design for a "near-earth" variation!

Also, if LEGO had licensing with NASA, then the shuttle pictured would probably have a genuine shuttle name and a NASA logo. As it is, I highly doubt that stickers with NASA shuttle names will be available in this set. But at least there's an American flag to ground it in reality a little bit (wondering if other countries' flags will appear, even though most countries don't use space shuttles).

Why is this on the Sci-Fi board, anyway? What is there that's "Fi" about it? Space shuttles aren't fictional, are they?

There is no "Sci" board.

It has retractable landing gear!...a definite rarity on any System set designed for figs. default_thumbup.gif Kudos aplenty for the effort! I hope that particular feature finds itself into more System sets. All it needs now is a deployable parachute!

Yes, it's always great to see Technic functions like this in System sets. 7470 had a working landing gear system too.

A little bit disappointing that they didnt use a real shuttle name on there (like they did with the 7470) but maybe NASA wouldn't let them use the names or any NASA logos, if you look at the logos on the torso and the wing and the car thing, you can see they are different to any NASA logo.

All NASA stuff is in the public domain, so they could have used the logo and names if they wanted to. Although I do like that classic space-inspired logo they used.

why is everything getting bigger and bigger with TLC anyway?

You've uttered my thoughts. Though it's nice to have more detailed and thus bigger sets, they need a lot of space. Where you place a new LEGO truck, you could place four 4-wide trucks. I'll have nowhere to put such a splendid shuttle: lack of space!

Edited by legotrainfan

What color is that bottom part, some new Bronze? :oh:
Eheheh!!! High Res!!!!!!!

Oh, it's just some orange color. :hmpf_bad:

I don't know if I'll buy it now that I've seen better images. :sceptic:

Did anybody realize that there's one female astronaut? Cool! :wub:

Quoting myself:

Of course I did. :wink:

Hmmm... The shuttle and boosters are fine, but I'm disappointed in the buggy and the figs.

Damn, this new space shuttle is really nice! Sleek, clean lines, nice details and good parts choices and colours; I especially love the use of dark orange for the main booster (100% in agreeance with Svelte on colour there). The new astronaut minifigs are great too. The platform is a little sparse but the main emphasis has obviouly been placed on the shuttle itself and to keep it within it's set price.

I really like the way they've given it it's own identity in the name Adventure too. It really fits in well with that spirit of both space exploration and LEGO.

Thanks for the photos lads. Keen to see more views/interior.

EDIT: While we wait for new pictures I thought I'd roate the photo and see whatit looked like set at a different angle without straining my neck! Obviously the base is still present but it's still very interesting to look at:

10213-shuttlesml.jpg

Picture links to extra large image.

Edited by pedro

I really like the way they've given it it's own identity in the name Adventure too. It really fits in well with that spirit of both space exploration and LEGO.

Well they didn't 100% make it up; here's Adventure at Space Center Houston;

280px-NASA_Adventure-1.JPG

As you can see, it's not flight rated. :grin: There is also a test frame (steel and wood!) called Pathfinder, a (fiberglass) mock-up called America (supposedly dissembled) and another mockup called Explorer.