Sign in to follow this  
Walter Kovacs

UCS TIE Oppressor

gallery_101_23_281.gif

When I first started looking at TIE alternates, there were a few TIEs that really stood out to me. The TIE Defender is my all time favorite, but my current design has some structural issues (they are solvable, but I've put that on the back-burner for now). The Scimitar Bomber was one of my favorites, mostly because of the challenging geometries involved. The TIE Predator with it's long, graceful wings appeals to me.

Among the list of TIE alts that I really like is the Light Bomber/Heavy Starfighter TIE Oppressor (Wookiepedia Page). It's shape is very distinctive, with the third solar panel array sitting above the cocpit ball, and the shielded laser cannons below. But what really catches the eye is the unique, twin-tailed shape of the solar panels.

The source material for this alt is actually plentiful, unlike most designs. This image shows many different angles for the ship:

tie-oppressor2.jpg

When I was designing this ship, I focused most of my energie on the wings and getting the laser cannons right. Here is the final product.

img_3480.jpg

A view from the bottom. I think I finally got the gussets that extend from the cockpit ball to the pylons close. Well, at least closer than I have before.

img_3472.jpg

This side view shows the details on the wings.

img_3476.jpg

The back view shows the ion engines, and the strut that holds on the center wing. The strut is similar to the strut I used in my Torpedo Bomber model. The strut could stand to be one stud farther back, but I don't mind the end result.

img_3477.jpg

A close-up of the cockpit ball. I tried to build the laser cannon a little different than other models, but it still looks pretty uch the same.

img_3482.jpg

Here is what the windscreen was hiding. The white hinge plate is there because I couldn't find the light gray version. I know I hae one, but I just couldn't lay my hands on it.

img_3483.jpg

I rarely get to show the pilot seat and control stick, so here is a picture without the console in front of it.

img_3485.jpg

The top hatch opens up. The design is identical to the one in TLCs UCS TIE Advanced.

img_3484.jpg

Thanks for looking at my creation. As always, comments and criticisms are more than welcome.

Brickshelf Gallery, for those wanting to see more photos. There are plenty there to look at.

Very cool! The amount of Tie variants is apparently only limited by the imagination.

That looks great! The shape of the solar panels really does catch the eye.

Very cool! The amount of Tie variants is apparently only limited by the imagination.

And by the sheer amount of wings you can cram on them. :grin:

Great work on this TIE Walter :thumbup:

It looks a bit like the TIE Interceptor with it's wings on backwards and a wing as a roof.

But looking closer I have to agree the wings are different and have similarities with the TIE Fighter and TIE Advanced as well.

Well done again.

I like it ! (Grandpa Max - Ben10)

AWESOME TIE fighter - it's totally nasty and over-the-top too ! :grin:

Excellent work 'Walter Kovacs' and really I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Edited by lightningtiger

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen. And ladies, if there were any. :blush:

Most of the TIE variants come out of the Star Wars videogames. I believe this one came out of the Jump to Lightspeed expansion to Star Wars Galaxies.

That is awesome, and I love the Monty Python referance.

I really like the design behind the cockpit glass, it really works well with the rounded piece you used for the glass.

I love the size too.

Thanks Cam.

When I first read your post, I was like "What Monty Python reference?" Then I realized it was in the topic description :wacko: