noreha

Star Wars Lego 3D Art

Just seen it now, I can't see any flickers it looks really smooth, unfortunately it shows what a wast of a set it is.

How do you do the animations?

waste of a set? probably the reason that I don't own it, but I do like the look of it (barring those big gaps between wings and frame)

Animation? well here goes...

I basically set a series of waypoints for position and rotation, an example would be to have something rotate once through 360 degrees, I would set the initial position (0 degrees) then the final position (360 degrees), the program I use then does all the in between stuff, so if the animation was 360 frames (about 12 seconds) it would rotate the object by 1 degree each frame, it does get complex when you are looking at moving loads of pieces, but that is the advantage of parenting objects (means that when you move the parent object the children objects move along with it) and naming everything correctly.

It can drive you slightly mad when you hit a tricky bit of engineering, an example is the front frame of the cruiser, the way the frame is made actually places stress on the pieces and they have some bend in the joints, because I have to approximate this, there is a little bit of cheating to make it look right. Overall though, it is an enjoyable process that allows me to use two of my loves, Lego and 3D Design, and every now and then maths :)

Hope everyone is enjoying this, I love the feedback so tell me what you like, what you don't like, where things can be improved and some ideas about what sets you would like to see (it is tough with some sets because I don't have all the pieces and will need to fake some)... so in essence THANKS GUYS!!!

here is what the process looks like when the animation is rendering...

5669300107_6f9b92790c_b.jpg

the left image is the last frame rendered, centre is the current frame, and the right window is the object tree (shows linked objects), had to come up with my own naming convention to make sure I could identify each type of piece, will show more images if you guys are interested in the process...

Edited by noreha

will show more images if you guys are interested in the process...

Thanks.

I can't understand these processes to be able to use them myself but they are interesting.

Hey guys, decided to go for something a little different this time around... here is the start to 7930 - Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship

5690512856_e91f4ed96c_b.jpg

5690513816_3fd1706088_b.jpg

Edited by noreha

Hey guys, decided to go for something a little different this time around... here is the start to 7930 - Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship

Very nice! Another interesting model noreha. :thumbup: BTW, do you plan to do every SW vehicle? I'm interested to see what you'll work on next. :sweet:

Great start noreha 7930 is going to look better than ever. I'm also interested if you plan on modeling all the SW sets?

Thanks guys!!! In answer to your question, I am hoping to get as many done as I can, some are a little too complex, but most should be able to get done, it's just some of those fiddly bits that will stop me from going any further (don't have many of the helmets etc. so it's harder to do the minifigs)

Pretty much almost finished it, should get it done in the next couple of days...

5693111018_8bc827870b_b.jpg

5693263149_1047f6956c_b.jpg

Looking good so far, noreha! Will there be an animation for this one, too?

What would it take for you to produce a short CGI animated brick flick with these models?

Looking good so far, noreha! Will there be an animation for this one, too?

What would it take for you to produce a short CGI animated brick flick with these models?

5694293909_8263b068a6_b.jpg

Managed to get this done a lot quicker than I expected (still have to do the stickers - just need a nice scan of them first though... HINT HINT!)

Current rendering an animation of about 10-12 seconds which I think will look pretty awesome

For me to do a short CGI film, I would need about $700 million... only joking... I would need to do a bucket load of work (texturing and optimising the models), and more than likely a new PC.

It is something I have thought about, but I need to get everything mapped out first before I can even think of starting, but you never know!

For me to do a short CGI film, I would need about $700 million... only joking... I would need to do a bucket load of work (texturing and optimising the models), and more than likely a new PC.

It is something I have thought about, but I need to get everything mapped out first before I can even think of starting, but you never know!

Well then, I'll hope you win the lottery. :laugh:

Looks great so far. If you ever do a short movie, I vote for the Battle of Hoth. :grin:

have been trying and trying and trying (and trying) to get the images to look as realistic as I can, and this one actually is quite good...

5698601525_8f7e7d66ca_b.jpg

this was the tester to see how the reflections work... not quite as good as the other one

5697349193_b0d928401a_b.jpg

Hoth you reckon? means doing the AT-AT walkers... I have done the snow speeders... maybe :classic:

You have impressive 3D skills, noreha. I like Lego renders that you make. Looking forward to more. :classic:

Yay, 100th post, finally a citizen.

As a sharing platform, I've setup a flickr pool and put out a "few" invites for some of noreha's work.

Feel free to join everyone and share your LEGO 3D Art - be that instructions recreated or any kind of 3D Star Wars stuff.

LEGO Star Wars 3D Art Pool on flickr

Noreha, awesome job with that tiled floor pic. It really looks realistic. There is only one problem that detracts from it - the way the Bounty Hunter Gunship is with it's turbines up is not physically possible. In reality, the engines rotate down so that it can rest on a surface, but the way that you have them in flight mode would make the model just tip over backwards.

Other than that, it looks fantastic.

The first one looks outstanding, noreha. :wub:

Hoth you reckon? means doing the AT-AT walkers... I have done the snow speeders... maybe :classic:

I just want to see 3D snow effects. :grin:

Feel free to join everyone and share your LEGO 3D Art - be that instructions recreated or any kind of 3D Star Wars stuff.

Would that include LDD? 'Cause if it does, don't tell ADHO, or we won't be able to find anything amidst all his models. :tongue:

The first one looks outstanding, noreha. :wub:

I just want to see 3D snow effects. :grin:

Would that include LDD? 'Cause if it does, don't tell ADHO, or we won't be able to find anything amidst all his models. :tongue:

Yeah I guess it would.

All digital designs are welcome.

Noreha, awesome job with that tiled floor pic. It really looks realistic. There is only one problem that detracts from it - the way the Bounty Hunter Gunship is with it's turbines up is not physically possible. In reality, the engines rotate down so that it can rest on a surface, but the way that you have them in flight mode would make the model just tip over backwards.

Other than that, it looks fantastic.

Thanks for that Clone O'Patra, yeah I know as soon as I saw it I realised that I hadn't set it up right, but I will quickly do another render with it sitting on the floor, currently it is just hovering above the tiles (about an inch or so)... keep an eye out!!!