Sign in to follow this  
Toa_Of_Justice

MX-2 Rover

EDIT: See real photos of the model in this post below!

From LEGO Digital Designer, I present the...

MX-2 Rover

mx-2_rover_small.png

^Click for a bigger picture.^

Front View

Back View

Side View

Brickshelf Gallery (when public)

Features:

• Front Steering (activated by radar dish, which also moves up and down)
  • Rear Suspension
  • Detachable flyer, with:
    • Opening cockpit
    • Movable wings and flaps
    • Movable rear thrusters

My model also includes a minifigure and plenty of new Atlantis Green elements! :alien:

Download it here! (You may need to rename the file with an .lxf extension and save it as "All Files," otherwise it may save as a .zip folder.)

UPDATE: I fixed the steering mechanism with an extra "Plate 2x4 with Holes"--now it should attach firmly to the model.

Don't forget: You can order this model from LEGO! Note: link to obsolete model removed--please order it from the LDD file instead, and don't forget to give me (LEGO username: schifter) credit by renaming the file!

-Toa Of Justice

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

Very nice and Classic. I like the design and colour.

I also like the small plane like object in the back.

Well Done :thumbup:

Excellent LDD creation 'Toa_Of_Justice' - I really like that retro classic space styling to the little fighter that sits on the back of the rover.

Steering feature is a nice and useful touch too !

Great work and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Very nice and Classic. I like the design and colour.

I also like the small plane like object in the back.

Well Done :thumbup:

Excellent LDD creation 'Toa_Of_Justice' - I really like that retro classic space styling to the little fighter that sits on the back of the rover.

Steering feature is a nice and useful touch too !

Great work and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Thank you both for the nice comments! :thumbup:

Ironically, Classic Space styling was not my original goal, but now that I think about it, my creation does look like something that could have been from Classic Space or Neo-Classic Space. The classic look of my creation could be attributed to my desire to keep things simple while adding as many working features as possible, as well as LDD's parts selection and my knowledge of how to use them. Also, I originally intended the color scheme to follow that of Mars Mission, but due to the windscreens only being available in Atlantis Green, I ended up using a Blacktron 2-esque color scheme, but with more white than black.

Also, I thank LEGO for producing that cool minifigure torso with the Classic Space astronaut on it. I'd like to see that pattern on a real T-shirt (if it hasn't been done already).

-Toa Of Justice

EDIT: I ordered the MX-2 Rover from LEGO today, and I hope to show some pictures of the model in real life (as well as the box I designed for it). That Icelandic volcano may significantly delay those pictures though. :sad:

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

Spiffy looking little model, indeed. Like others have pointed out, it really does look like it could be a modernized version of a Classic Space set. And I really like the clever steering mechanism, it's both functional and unobtrusive at the same time: does its work while blending in well.

Unfortunately, my model was rejected from LEGO due to a "trademark violation." "MX-2" yielded many hits on Google, and it probably tipped off the moderators. I tried again--this time, I changed the box name to "LEGO-2 Rover." Hopefully that will pass moderation. Thankfully, my free shipping code still worked. :grin:

-Toa Of Justice

EDIT: I don't believe it--LEGO rejected my model AGAIN!!! :angry: I suppose I'll try one more time...

EDIT 2: Free shipping code failed! Time to call Customer Service!

EDIT 3: Customer Service was nice enough to tell me that my model was rejected the second time due to "Exploration Rover" in the file name. I have changed the Shop at Home link for the benefit of everyone who wants to click the link and order my model. Also, Customer Service told me that I will get free shipping on this model if the moderators approve of it. :grin:

EDIT 4: A third rejection!? My model might be cursed! Then again, another Customer Service representative advised me to be as generic as possible--not even the word "Rover" should be used due to a potential conflict with NASA. :hmpf_bad: I changed the model name to "My Model," the box template name to "My Box", and the background from the one used on Star Justice and Space Skulls (I think it's the same background, and it was in their Box Designer, so if it's copyrighted, it's their fault) to a snowy background with stars. Now my model looks sort of like an Ice Planet 2002 set. :tongue: My box also lacks a title to hopefully avoid more conflicts. As with the previous incident, shipping will be waived. If I rejected again though, I'll just do a Pick A Brick order--with no box.

EDIT 5: At last, I am happy to report that my "Design byME brick-list was just transferred to [LEGO's] picking-plant!" (Picking-plant? I think it's a strange name, but I'm cool with it) Now all I have to do is wait, and hope my rover makes it past all that volcanic ash! :grin:

EDIT 6: The MX-2 Rover has safely landed at my house! :grin: I should have photos up soon, but I encountered 2 major issues with my model:

1.) I accidentally left out a "TECHNIC Plate 2x4 With 3 Holes" behind the Atlantis Green slope in the front. I had to take another of that part from the model and use an ordinary 2x4 plate in its place.

2.) The little Atlantis Green bulb cannot fit into the front radar dish. I have thought about using used glue to keep that part in place. In addition, the radar dish itself is a little loose.

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

I'm sorry to revive this topic, but now I have pictures of the real model, direct from LEGO Design byME! :grin:

You can click any of the pictures to zoom in.

Here's the front of the box...

img_4897_small.jpg

...and the back...

img_4898_small.jpg

...or should I say boxes?

img_4899_small.jpg

I didn't see a need to photograph the inside of the inner box, but it has a hinged lid and double end walls, unlike most standard LEGO boxes--very luxurious. No wonder Design byME sets cost so much...

On to the model itself!

img_4890_small.jpg

img_4891_small.jpg

Testing the suspension, using a concealed Pick A Brick cup lid as a bump.

img_4892_small.jpg

The rover without the flyer on top.

img_4893_small.jpg

The flyer, using the Pick A Brick cup lid as a stand.

img_4894_small.jpg

img_4895_small.jpg

Finally, the minifig outside his flyer.

img_4896_small.jpg

Enjoy!

-Toa Of Justice

An awesome little ship you've built there.If you dont mind me asking,what did it cost to build?I wasnt aware you could design your own model and have lego actually box it for you. :oh:

Edited by charlieboy

An awesome little ship you've built there.If you dont mind me asking,what did it cost to build?I wasnt aware you could design your own model and have lego actually box it for you. :oh:

I paid about 51.14 USD for my model, not including tax. When I initially ordered my model, I was able to benefit from a limited free shipping deal, but that deal is no longer available. :sad:

With a new, important correction to my digital model file, the model now costs 51.35 USD before taxes and shipping. If you have a LEGO VIP account, you might be able to redeem some of your VIP points to reduce the cost of the model.

For more information about LEGO Design byME and LEGO Digital Designer, visit http://designbyme.lego.com and http://ldd.lego.com.

-Toa Of Justice

I paid about 51.14 USD for my model, not including tax. When I initially ordered my model, I was able to benefit from a limited free shipping deal, but that deal is no longer available. :sad:

With a new, important correction to my digital model file, the model now costs 51.35 USD before taxes and shipping. If you have a LEGO VIP account, you might be able to redeem some of your VIP points to reduce the cost of the model.

For more information about LEGO Design byME and LEGO Digital Designer, visit http://designbyme.lego.com and http://ldd.lego.com.

-Toa Of Justice

its roughly two and a half times the price of an on the shelf set after shipping... Nice model though, like the use of trans green

Edited by Rayskull

I know the pains of the factory myself, made a standard fortress outer wall, and they said it would cost 550 dollars not including tax or shipping, so I promptly exited the page :tongue: Nice model, has a cool classic feel, good work mate :classic: