def

What are you reading?

I just put aside The Twelve to go back and read The Hobbit. After seeing An Unexpected Journey, I was inspired to re-read this classic.

The Twelve is an excellent book, but I happened to hit a natural break in it so it's working out perfectly. The Twelve is the follow up to The Passage.

Two days ago I started reading "The Song of Achilles" by Madeline Miller. I saw it on a list with the best Fantasy/SciFi books from 2012 and was intrigued by the theme. So far it is really great!

"On China" by Henry Kissinger, it's really great and he doesn't come up with too many words that I've forgotten the exact meaning of (living in China isn't conductive to maintaining a high-level of English!) and/or my tablet doesn't have a definition for. *huh*

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad for an English project, and Halo: Primordium by Greg Bear on the side when I have time.

Last two were Cold Days by Jim Butcher and A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin.

Next up will be Lord of Light by Robert Zelazny and The Gripping Hand by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven.

Letters from Father Christmas by JRR Tolkien - beautifully illustrated letters from Tolkien to his children

The best of 2000AD - much inspiration here

Of Men and Their Making, a collection of stuff by John Steinbeck. Fascinating

I just finished reading "Spin", by Robert Charles Wilson. A very realistic story, despite the fact that it is science-fiction. The writer has really an incredible talent !

I don't know what I will read now. Probably an other sci-fi novel !

Again, another topic I've been looking for forever! Well, a couple weeks back, I finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird. It was a phenomenal novel, so no wonder it is considered a classic by many. :classic:

A Father First: How My Life Became Bigger Than Basketball by Dwyane Wade. Good book.

Just jumped back into The Twelve after finishing The Hobbit. The Twelve is an excellent twist of post apocalyptic zombie themes.

reading The Shining by Stephen King right now. quite a good book, really scary sometimes

Thats funny, my edition of The Shining fell out of my closet moments before reading your comment...

So, we have topics for movies, concerts, etc., why not have one for books?

DIscuss your favourite books, genres, what you're currently reading, e-reader vs. physical book preference...

I'm an avid fantasy and sci-fi reader (plus some historical fiction/non-fiction) and I'd rather sit down with a book than watch TV all evening.

I just started reading Terry Pratchett's DIscworld books and they're hilarious, especially if you can catch his references. I'm also a recent Kindle convert, and am really enjoying not having to lug around an extra bag of books on holidays (no sapient pearwood around here :hmpf_bad::laugh: ). However, i still buy physical books for my personal collection. My recent acquisitions include a boxed set of Tolkien's works in large format with beautiful illustrations and annotations in Hobbit :wub:

So, that's about me, now it's your turn :wink:

Currently Reading: Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success - Phil Jackson and Hugh Delehanty.

Next up: Inferno by Dan Brown if I get/borrow a copy of it.

Favorite Books: LOTR, Foundation series, A Song of Ice and Fire, anything by Dan Brown and John Grisham.

Favorite genre: Fantasy and/or sci-if; they're both pretty level.

Recommended Authors: Isaac Asimov, GRRM, Tolkien.

Recently I got the iBooks app for my phone and started putting on epub files; it's a lot more convenient than physical books albeit a little more tedious so I'm switching over to that. Newer books, though, I still borrow from the public library if I can't find them online.

The World Until Yesterday, by Jared Diamond. A solid comparison of the differences between contemporary states and tribal societies, and the advantages of each. Very, very interesting.

I recently read Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and its sequel, The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. Very amusing books with a decent helping of science-fiction, fantasy, and satire boiled into them.

I also went to a Neil Gaiman signing last Friday and got his new book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane. On the way to and from the signing I re-read an earlier book of his, American Gods. He's probably the author I'd most likely recommend to others, though there's some very explicit stuff (often unnervingly so) in some of his adult fare. If you want a book that's a little more wholesome but still has a taste of his dark and thrilling storytelling, I'd recommend Coraline (either the book or the movie; both are excellent).

Also, I've picked up a copy of Eoin Colfer's The Supernaturalist from my local library. Haven't read it yet, but I will be reading it in the next few days. I've been meaning to read it for some time and after a very strong recommendation from a BZPower colleague I decided to stop putting it off.

In terms of non-storybooks, I picked up My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: The Elements of Harmony, a nice hardcover guidebook to the series, a couple weeks ago. Behind its classy-looking cover, it's got some great behind-the-scenes information from the creators of the show, including an interview with Lauren Faust and lots of pre-production concept art. Plus it has the full lyrics to all the songs in the series and summaries of every episode from Seasons 1–3. Great book for any fans of the series.

Edited by Aanchir

I recently read about a dozen books in Craig Johnson's fiction series, Walt Longmire, the sheriff of a tiny Wyoming town. The books were entertaining in their descriptions of the countryside and the colorful characters living in the area. Having grown up in a similar, blown away town, Pecos, Texas, it was easy to identify with the emptiness of the land and of the people as well.

I later tried watching on netflix the first season made for TV by A&E, but feel that the books were much more descriptive and interesting with deeper plots and more stories. When I was in Target a few hours ago and saw the Lone Ranger sets, it reminded me of my childhood in West Texas and of how raw life can be in the vast, empty and windy West with tumbleweeds covering our entire house in a blanket of stickers in the gusty spring months. Sometimes we had to cut our way out the door using machetes to get through the tangle of tumbleweeds.

I recently read Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and its sequel, The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. Very amusing books with a decent helping of science-fiction, fantasy, and satire boiled into them.

I also went to a Neil Gaiman signing last Friday and got his new book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane. On the way to and from the signing I re-read an earlier book of his, American Gods. He's probably the author I'd most likely recommend to others, though there's some very explicit stuff (often unnervingly so) in some of his adult fare. If you want a book that's a little more wholesome but still has a taste of his dark and thrilling storytelling, I'd recommend Coraline (either the book or the movie; both are excellent).

I've been meaning to read some of Gaiman's work for some time now, even have the on my Kindle, but they'll have to wait till I read at least a couple of Pratchett's books.

Also, I've picked up a copy of Eoin Colfer's The Supernaturalist from my local library. Haven't read it yet, but I will be reading it in the next few days. I've been meaning to read it for some time and after a very strong recommendation from a BZPower colleague I decided to stop putting it off.

In terms of non-storybooks, I picked up My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: The Elements of Harmony, a nice hardcover guidebook to the series, a couple weeks ago. Behind its classy-looking cover, it's got some great behind-the-scenes information from the creators of the show, including an interview with Lauren Faust and lots of pre-production concept art. Plus it has the full lyrics to all the songs in the series and summaries of every episode from Seasons 1–3. Great book for any fans of the series.

I've read The Supernaturalist and also Colfer's Artemis Fowl series. While Artemis Fowl is YA fiction, I found it rather funny and great for some lighthearted reading. And I can only agree that Supernaturalist is superb.

I've read The Supernaturalist and also Colfer's Artemis Fowl series. While Artemis Fowl is YA fiction, I found it rather funny and great for some lighthearted reading. And I can only agree that Supernaturalist is superb.

I enjoyed The Supernaturalist when I read it some years ago. I agree that Artemis Fowl is a bit young, but it's always fun to read.

Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo! :thumbup: If you can read 80 pages worth of strange mental and psychological descriptions of a priest before any story actually begins, this book is good! :grin: And then get interrupted later by like, a 20-50 something page description about Waterloo.

I have started reading "Ubik" written by Philip K. Dick (author of for example Blade Runner). I've heard it's one of his best books.

I loved the Artemis Fowl series; that was how I was first exposed to Eoin Colfer. I wrote a short review of the final book for my local newspaper, and I've even got a bit of Artemis Fowl fanart on my deviantART (this is easily the best drawing I've done based on that series). I also read And Another Thing..., which he authored as the sixth installment in Douglas Adams's "Hitchhiker's Trilogy".

Just finished The Supernaturalist, and WOW was it exciting. Very good edge-of-your-seat cyberpunk adventure story. The only thing I was unprepared for was the ending.

I knew it didn't have any sequels at this time, so the fact that there was a blatant sequel hook towards the end caught me off-guard.

Has anyone read the graphic novel of that book? I've seen it in stores but never picked it up. I enjoyed the Artemis Fowl graphic novels (not entirely faithful to the character descriptions from the original books, but a quality graphic novel regardless).