On a scale of 1 to 5...  

99 members have voted

1. 1. ...how would you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Wah!! I like it so much. I had no money to buy it when i was small. Your post makes me want to buy a used set. Thanks for your sharing.

Fantastic review of a fantastic set!

Your review brings back fond memories of my childhood.

My cousin had this when we were younger, and all I ever wanted to do was play "town" lego when we got together just to play with this set. (He always liked space/pirates and i always thought it was sooo unfair that he had this epic town set when I was the town fan and he clearly liked the fantasy themes better)

thanks for reviewing this classic!

Edited by slacker int

Nice, you don't know what you did to me... i had this set as a child, too. And it was always one of my favorites ... too ...

And now its disassabled, in one of 5 or 6 moving-boxes in the basement of my mums flat and i REALLY want to assamble it NOW...

Looking at the windows giving me creeps! I know mine will look the same (and thats the reason why i keep windows seperated after my dark ages!) ...

Top Gear Joke made me laugh ... it just catches those 3 guys so good :P

Epic review!!!!

I really love the classic sets, this one is one of the finest examples. I remember having had to choose between this set and 6066 - Cammouflaged Outpost .... I had to go with the latter!!!!

Still this set is awesome!!!!

The review was great, I was also one to recreated epic disater scenes by swooshing/throwing cars and planes into buildings ... good time :tongue:

Now that I have read your review, I want this set right on my floor, so I can play with it. :cry_happy:

:cry_happy: Amazing. You're actually so lucky that you've had that set for 20 years without any major damage. :thumbup: My first set, which is 11 years old probably has 1/2 of the parts lost, not by me though :cry_sad:

Great review! High quality photos! I'm amazed at the condition of your set, instructions included.

This is by far my favorite LEGO set ever. Great review.

I'm fortunate enough to have two of these. One I bought off eBay about ten years ago and built; another one I bought last summer that remains sealed in its box 22 years later.

Great review. This set was in many ways the flagship city set of the late 80s and the size of the structure was unparalleled for its time. I always wanted it as a kid and got one off ebay in 2003.

As you said, the scale mismatch is a bit of a problem with newer vehicles, more than most classic town sets. I find that the longer 4-wide cars (like those in 6335) still go well with it, but modern 6-wide vehicles are definitely too large for it.

There's a great amount of printed pieces and a notably different approach to stickering than we are used to today: only surfaces made up of multiple pieces that are to be covered by some sort of graphic use stickers. Everything else (including all the tiles that would nowadays receive the sticker treatment as well) is printed.

The period from about 1987-1993 was the best time for printed parts. Almost everything in those years was printed, and many of the printed tiles in this set never appeared in any other set.

Thanks for a beautiful review, from a golden age of history when car parks were considered exciting! I doubt the kids that grew up with this set feel the same way about parking stations today.

I still like them. :tongue: One MOC concept I've had in mind for a while is to make a larger and more modern version of this set.

Great review, you put alot of details in. :thumbup: I wish Lego would make a similar set, but I am getting tired of Octan being printed and/or stickered onto every gas station, racecar, or Skull twin. :hmpf_bad:

I still like them. :tongue: One MOC concept I've had in mind for a while is to make a larger and more modern version of this set.

With the classic town 4-wide feel, I hope?

What an incredible review! Great job Rapseflaps, I thoroughly enjoyed going through all the detail you've provided. You certainly deserve that golden badge you've got! :thumbup: :thumbup:

~Peace

Man. I have memories of this set..

It's one of my all time favorite childhood sets.

Great review.

Edited by AndrewDB

Amazing review! I had never had this one growing up (it came out when I was 10), but after reading your thorough review...I'd sure as hell like to add one to my collection now!

Thank you for the nice review. :thumbup::classic:

This set was something I looked for in the catalogs when I was little, but it was too big and expensive for me.

The 2 baseplates are very nice and it's a pity Lego don't do this sort of plating anymore. Maybe they think the little plates with and without driving lanes have more playability because you can easilier make some different plan.

Awesome Review Rapseflaps :thumbup: :thumbup:

I remember seeing this set in the BL Catalog one day and it was awesome. However your memory of it is much better than mines you actually owned it :grin:

A parking garage and adjacent gas station is just cool, the red motorcycle is pretty nice too.

Smart car again :hmpf:

:tongue:

I would love to see TLG remake a set like this and give it a modern touch, it would be perfect as I had been hoping for a new gas station.

If ever in need of set ideas, the past is a good place to go :classic:

Thankyou for making this awesome review. It brings a tear to my eye every time I think about this set and the time I played with it. Like you, I was lucky to have my parents bought this fantastic set when I was a kid :cry_happy:

Unfortunately I no longer have some key pieces and the 2 large baseplates that come with it. I can still build the cars and maybe part of the tower, but will need to surf Brinklink to fully restore my tower to its original glory.

It still amaze me that a back in 1988 we have an all in 1 service station with a parking tower. The most amazing part is by far is the hinges to allow the entire set to rotate and the parking lift. Cars cannot fly no? :tongue: But to me the greatest part of this set is the way the tower is constructed; first you start with the column (using a 2x5x1 brick), then followed by the beam (1x14 brick with groove on 1 side), followed by the floor slab (6x12 grey plate). Repeat the process and you have another floor, then another! Just like pre-cast construction.

Back in 1988 at least we know where Lego citizens park their cars. I wonder where do current Lego citizen park their cars? No wonder there are so many police sets, EVERYONE is parking illegally! :tongue:

Excellent review Rapseflaps! This set deserved a high quality detailed review! :sweet:

The set itself... :wub: A true gem from the past! I own it from the year it was released and it is one of my three favorites of my Classic Town collection. The great thing is that apart from some yellowing a few white pieces have, it is still in excellent condition! Even the small SHELL sticker is still present on the gas station's roof.

It is a stunning set overall. The building is very impressive having all these columns that give the proper height and the gas station is just beautiful. The elevator is a great play feature and the car wash is very impressive and genius!

Thanks again for this amazing review! :sweet:

P.S

The destruction picture is fantastic! I remember crashing aeroplanes on the structure just to represent a collapse! :grin:

Thanks for the great review.

I'm in the process of accumulating City and the Modular kits for a LEGO city for my boys to build (when they are old enough - currently 21 and 3 months). I've thought about adding a few classic sets to the ones I've still got intact from my childhood. I never had this kit, but often dreamed of it. I do think it might go into my "shopping list".

Thanks again, really detailed review.

Great review! :sweet:

I`m really hope, that from TLG will re-release this set as classics... because this is one of the best Town sets ever! :wub:

BTW thank you for the nice and detailed review :classic:

Nicky

Edited by Highster 11

This is a fantastic review, you really put a great amount of work into it! This set was always on my wishlist but it was too expensive at the time. As have never seen one in real life all the pictures you took, the flaw you pointed out in the instructions and the incorporation of modern lego vehicles, are really interesting.

It was also one of the first sets I made in MLCAD for the BlueBrick layout software. One of these days I am looking forward to having the real thing. :cry_happy:

6394.set.gif

Edited by missouri_bb63

I loved this set as a kid,i still have most of the parts if not all!Sadly it doesnt really fit in with my new town as most vehicles would struggle to fit :cry_sad:

Great review tho,thanks for bringing back some old memories!

Thank you for the great review!!

I bought this set in a ToyShop of my Town in the year 2000, for ₤100.000 (€50.00)!!

This set satyed there for 12 long years, waiting for me :classic: