NarakuAulonocara

Keeping SBD minifigs in good condition

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you collectors have had experience maintaining the Blue Super Battle Droid minifigs in good condition.

If I put then on display in a closet, should I worry about the torso clips cracking?

Thank you

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you collectors have had experience maintaining the Blue Super Battle Droid minifigs in good condition.

If I put then on display in a closet, should I worry about the torso clips cracking?

Thank you

Yes you should.

The best way to keep Battle Droids (BD) and Super Battle Droids (SBD) would be "taken apart".

Unclip the arms, heads and legs and store like that.

I've had legs break on my old SBD's and some of the BD's as well.

The heads on the BD's may break as well.

"Bad TLG Bad TLG!!"

Yes you should.

The best way to keep Battle Droids (BD) and Super Battle Droids (SBD) would be "taken apart".

Unclip the arms, heads and legs and store like that.

I've had legs break on my old SBD's and some of the BD's as well.

The heads on the BD's may break as well.

"Bad TLG Bad TLG!!"

But would that just weaken the clips on the Battle Droids taking them on and off?

But would that just weaken the clips on the Battle Droids taking them on and off?

Just keep them off.

I can't make any guarantees, but I have quite a few battle droids in my collection (super and regular) and I've never had any battle droid piece break. The droids have been assembled since I got the sets so some of the battle droids have been put together for 11 years and my blue SBDs have been assembled for 8. My battle droids also have been handled very lightly over the years, which is an important detail. A lot of people have had battle droid pieces break. If you're worried about pieces breaking at all, I would agree that keeping the droids disassembled is the way to go. But like I said, I've never had any problems.

Okay, take it apart gently, careful to not pressurize the joins. Then, put it in a statis chamber! In there, it cannot age or decay ( or crack )! Where you get one is not my problem....

Nah, KimT had it right. That's what I do atleast.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

I have decided to take apart one blue SB droid and put its components in a mini zip bag.

I was soo scared when I was detaching it but I'm glad its all good now. :thumbup:

For the other ones which I have repeats of, I'll use them gently and put them in mini zips (assembled when I'm done)

I have been keeping them that way for a while and its been OK so far but I wasn't sure so I asked.

IMO the weight of the SBD may cause the torso clip to crack over time. I believe if I put them in mini zip bags

and lay them horizontally, the pressure on the cracks may be reduced.

Any physicists, chemists or engineers, Please tell me if I'm wrong.

It's the swirly metal-coloured plastics. They tend to be more prone to breakage than a solid plastic, and have a pretty wide variation in fragility. And it's not helped by the fact that it needs to be flexed to actually fit it onto pegs. Once assembled, you should be able to stand them up with no problems. Just don't move anything, or take it apart...

Normal BDs shouldn't really have that many problems, though.

Normal BDs shouldn't really have that many problems, though.

Ooooh! But they do.

I had a bunh of them stashed away and when I wanted to use them for a display, I couldn't! :sceptic:

The joints leg-torso & torso-head had gotten 'soft' and they would either fall over or roll their heads back when displayed.

So my suggestion is (which is what I do) keep the lot of them apart and then build them when you need them for a MOC or display and then take them apart again.

I always recommend soring all LEGO completely disassembled, except regular minifigs, I leave those together.

I always recommend soring all LEGO completely disassembled, except regular minifigs, I leave those together.

I believe that includes the grievous and geonosian heads as I noticed how a lot of them tend to arrive cracked when I bought them on ebay.

I just disassembled some.

Perhaps I should worry about clone trooper helmets getting loose now??

Am I paranoid or what.

Oh and almost forgot. Does smoke damage lego? Does it matter if they have been in a smoker's home before (I don't smoke).

I often see "smoke free home" mentioned on lego auctions.

Edited by NarakuAulonocara

I've never had cracking arms, legs, or heads on any of my droids.

I do have some cracked minifigure torso's and arms though.

I believe that includes the grievous and geonosian heads as I noticed how a lot of them tend to arrive cracked when I bought them on ebay.

Perhaps I should worry about clone trooper helmets getting loose now??

Am I paranoid or what.

Oh and almost forgot. Does smoke damage lego? Does it matter if they have been in a smoker's home before (I don't smoke).

I often see "smoke free home" mentioned on lego auctions.

No smoke doesn't damage lego pieces, however legos do tend to hold the smoke odor, which is pretty unpleasant. It's hard to get rid of as well.

No smoke doesn't damage lego pieces, however legos do tend to hold the smoke odor, which is pretty unpleasant. It's hard to get rid of as well.

And white turns to yellow faster and it doesnt come off if you wash your lego.

I know that from experience, cause I did so with my old lego from my youth to no avail.

Best way is to not smoke! Better for your lego and your health :thumbup:

I have GG, and his head doesn't fit too well on a normal minifig body, so I don't know if yours has to do with storage...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but are'nt they kind've useless without any legs? how can you enjoy either playing or looking at them when they are apart like that? It's a lot like someone who buys really expensive nice suitcases and then also buys them really ugly traveling covers. You only ever really see them in the ugly covers rather then seeing what you paid so much for. That's just my opinion however :classic:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they kind've useless without any legs? how can you enjoy either playing or looking at them when they are apart like that? It's a lot like someone who buys really expensive nice suitcases and then also buys them really ugly traveling covers. You only ever really see them in the ugly covers rather then seeing what you paid so much for. That's just my opinion however :classic:

I guess you could make broken/damage battle droids for a battle.

I wouldn't normally worrty about the lowly BDs- the don't usually completely break, per se, but I would worry about the SBDs. I got the original droid BP, and in in a week or so all but one of the SBDs were broken. One tip is not to leave them on the floor...

Ooooh! But they do.

I had a bunh of them stashed away and when I wanted to use them for a display, I couldn't! :sceptic:

The joints leg-torso & torso-head had gotten 'soft' and they would either fall over or roll their heads back when displayed.

So my suggestion is (which is what I do) keep the lot of them apart and then build them when you need them for a MOC or display and then take them apart again.

Yeah, that'll happen with that kind of plastic, especially given that, again, they have to flex in order to connect. You should be able to fix that easily enough, though. Can't remember exactly how, but I know that warm water is involved. It's very different to the problem with the SBDs, though.

Psst For you hard core collectors, I have a question

Will lego which have been exposed to smoke contaminate clean lego?

In other words if you mix them, will smoke transfer between legos

I have bought used star wars legos before.

While most come from smoke free homes, I don't know if the original source they got it from was smoke free.

This has recently been nagging me as some collectors tell me that smoke will affect the color of lego by causing discoloration.

From now on I vow to buy new lego only.

Thanks

Does anyone have this problem? I've broken a few arms and legs so far. Is this a quality issue?

Try using the search box first. :thumbup: This topic has been discussed before. :tongue: See link below.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40771&st=0&p=719362&hl="Super%20Battle%20Droids"&fromsearch=1entry719362

Edited by Rook