Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Rita - Exploration Vessel

"There are many strange legends in the Amazon. Even I, Lucas, have heard the legend of a man-fish."

-Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

My most recent creation, Rita, the exploration vessel from the 1954 U.S. classic, Creature from the Black Lagoon.

rita.jpg

(creature not included)

Alternate "Amazon Jungle" Image:

rita1a.jpg

A few additional images with different backdrops:

rita1b.jpg

rita1c.jpg

Inspiration Poster:

5087191434_579b0838bc_z.jpg

The creature sneaking aboard the vessel:

5092056358_64bb7c14bf_z.jpg

Updated Town image:

5703508626_7c9a069ec2_z.jpg

You've done it again 'The Brickster' - another AWESOME MOC ! :grin:

Great boat and so wonderfully detailed too !

Does that winch work eh ?

Excellent designing there and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I really like your style of building.

You don't seem to use many crazy tecniques and the constuction of the moc is quite clean , almost as if it were going to be a lego set. I can really respect this :classic:

Does the boat have any interior or is it plain on the inside?

Does the boat have any interior or is it plain on the inside?

Thanks for the feedback BR. I am a pretty basic builder.

The ship has a steering room that has a door to the rear of the ship. The top lifts off for added playability. In addition, there is a cargo hold just behind the mast that opens with one of the 6x8 opening plates (can't see in the image, but I got the idea from the Orient Expedition Emperor's Ship). It's about 2-1/2 bricks deep for barrels, a crate, or other cargo). I'll share some more images tomorrow when I have better lighting.

bloggedct.png

While she may be ready for adventure in tropical climates, this little craft would be just as happy in the port of any Classic Town. :wink:

Nice job! :thumbup:

Where's the creature?

It's very cool... I love this forum, you guys are all so awesome; very inspiring.

Very nice! I always love your stuff. :sweet: It's detailed yet still classic. This is a very nice boat that would fit well in any city setting. Murder Mystery time? :grin:

The arm even rotates to move the net from side-to-side.

I love MOCs with working functions.

Great MOC TheBrickster. As always, this MOC has that clean 'set-like' look, with just the right amount of details, and even some 'play features'. Well done. :thumbup:

Fantastic work! This is very original. I would not have expected something like this from you. The set aspect I would have, but the way you've captured the boat is very LEGO-like. :thumbup:

Wow, a true beauty, my dad and I once made a cut out for a library fair of the creature holding a girl diver, so this really takes me back there, well done indeed mate :classic:

Thanks for the comments guys! :classic:

this little craft would be just as happy in the port of any Classic Town.

Thanks much for the Classic-Town blog Shadows. It was a neat read. I almost posted this in the Town forum since I called it a Divers ship. I thought Adventurers/Action was more fitting, and I like to mix things up a bit.

Where's the creature?

Coming soon... :wink:

I love this forum, you guys are all so awesome; very inspiring.

That's a very nice compliment Fred. Thank you. It's always great to hear that a MOC inspires others to build. :classic:

Murder Mystery time?

Slosh! :laugh:

AvtCreature.jpg

(wets pants)

Thanks for the nice feedback Sieg. I feel like I've done a pretty good job when you and Shadows share your comments. :classic:

this MOC has that clean 'set-like' look, with just the right amount of details

Believe it or not, the rigging took me almost half the day, then I decided to gut the ship to add a cargo hold - then redid it adding the working winch. I think the extra effort was worth the effort - thanks.

I would not have expected something like this from you.

Interesting thought. It all started with a visit to a local old-fashioned candy shop when I found the nice tin sign pictured above. It gave me inspiration to build a 50s style boat. I'm actually a big fan of ships, boats, and nautical collectibles, plus I love the Adventurers theme (especially the Amazon Jungle sets). This ship is a cross between Divers, the boat from River Expedition, and the boat from T-Rex Transport.

my dad and I once made a cut out for a library fair of the creature holding a girl diver, so this really takes me back there

That's nice to hear. It's always great to hear that a MOC or even a picture brings back fond memories. :classic:

A beautiful MOC and it got the presentation it deserves.

Thanks Marin. Presentation is important to me and I think a nice background really adds to the mood/feel of a creation.

Wow this is my favorite of your MOCs ever and for someone like you thats saying something. This is fantastic if this were a set (and it kind of looks like one) I would buy it. :thumbup:

I love it when you are re-visiting the Divers theme. I used to remember we had a lot of fun looking through at your past Divers reviews for Classic Town. :wub:

This is indeed an awesome looking vessel which is very suited for any town harbour, and it could be used for many other purposes too, like the one which you are inspired. Otherwise, I am certain to move this over to Town. :grin:

It's great to see such a lovely moc from you.

By the way, thanks Shadows for blogging this over at Classic-Town.net. :sweet:

I love it when you are re-visiting the Divers theme. I used to remember we had a lot of fun looking through at your past Divers reviews for Classic Town.

Thanks WF. I thought you might like this one (better than the Voodoo Lounge, huh?) Divers was a great theme and I don't think Aqua Raiders even came close.

I was trying to create some more official looking Divers box art and came up with this?

ritaback.jpg

What do you guys think? It's really tricky to capture the beauty of the artwork used in these fantastic themes.