Sign in to follow this  
scruffulous

MOC: U Louvre Van

traintech1.jpg

I've been slowly building up my collection of Victorian Railways rollingstock, and this is the latest addition.

4502011755_ee760ed8e2.jpg

These U louvre vans were originally built with narrow doors, but at a later stage they were fitted with wide doors and blanking was added to the bottom to avoid forklift damage.

This MOC was produced in response to feedback on an earlier version, with the key changes being:

- Colour change from reddish brown to dark red

- I tried to break up the "louvriness" by adding hand rails on the ends and by blanking the bottom of the doors (thanks for the suggestion gambort)

- I changed the wheel brake and added the brake tie rod (thanks for the tips Brickhead).

For anyone interested, here's how I did the louvres.

Very nice rolling-stock. The sides are done well with the tiles in the slanted angle.

The colours look well with the decals. :classic::thumbup:

AWESOME piece of rolling stock 'scruffulous' - yes that siding trick is very cool and clever. :grin:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Wow, thats a really nice building technique, I never thought of doing something like that :look: . As for your model, It looks so real, I don't even think its lego!!

Thanks guys. Glad you like the louvres. It's a fairly brick-intensive (i.e. expensive) technique, but I think it was worth it.

beautiful build, wheres a pic of a full train with these cars?

also, what camera and lighting are you using?

**edit***

so i see your camera from flickr, but what lighting are you using? your canon is sharp!

Edited by broomhandle

beautiful build, wheres a pic of a full train with these cars?

Thanks, but I need a loco before can post a full train. All I have at the moment is a rail tractor. I'm working on something that should help, though.

so i see your camera from flickr, but what lighting are you using? your canon is sharp!

I made a light box by cutting large rectangular holes in three sides of a cardboard box and covering them with tracing paper. I also inserted a curved white card floor/back. For lighting, I illuminate the tracing paper sides with three desk lamps containing 18W energy efficient "cool white" spiral lamps (equivalent to ~90W incandescent lamps). The main limitation is the size of the box...I'd be lucky to fit two wagons in there, let alone a full train.