DLuders

Nathanael Kuipers' SUPERCAR Now With CAD

From Brickshelf, Nathanael Kuipers (a.k.a. "industrialdesigner") posted his CAD instructions on his great silver SUPERCAR: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=79271 . He describes it as being "An AWD double wishbone suspension convertible supercar with special doors Sets used - 1 x 8458 Silver Champion and 1x 8466 Offroader."

convertible.jpgroof_going_up.jpg

There's a "Car Instructions" subfolder on his main Brickshelf page for this MOC, as well as the "supercar.MPD" file. :thumbup:

I've been waiting for this one for a long time, as I'm sure many others have as well. Thanks to Nathanael for putting in the effort to provide this to everyone.

supercar4.jpg

I am new to the technic scene and i really like this model, i have recently purchased both 8458 and 8466 and i would love to create this model but i dont really know how to create a set of instructions from the mpd file, I looked online at a tutorial to create some instructions and it didn't work, also when i open the file in a viewer (which i have no idea to use) there are about 20 missing files, even with the latest ldraw library. just wondering if anyone has created or could create a set of FULL instructions for this model it would be greatly appriceiated.

Thanks in advance

Brad

Edited by brad257

I am new to the technic scene and i really like this model, i have recently purchased both 8458 and 8466 and i would love to create this model but i dont really know how to create a set of instructions from the mpd file, I looked online at a tutorial to create some instructions and it didn't work, also when i open the file in a viewer (which i have no idea to use) there are about 20 missing files, even with the latest ldraw library. just wondering if anyone has created or could create a set of FULL instructions for this model it would be greatly appriceiated.

It is very unlikely that anyone is going to create full instructions for this old model now. To do so for a model this complex could easily take someone 1000 hours. However, I built this model using only the CAD file. I recommend using LDView as a viewer. Some of the parts are "unofficial". You can set LDView to automatically download unofficial parts in preferences, which will take care of the problem. Also make sure to use Ctrl-M which will let you view the sub-assemblies.

It is very unlikely that anyone is going to create full instructions for this old model now. To do so for a model this complex could easily take someone 1000 hours. However, I built this model using only the CAD file. I recommend using LDView as a viewer. Some of the parts are "unofficial". You can set LDView to automatically download unofficial parts in preferences, which will take care of the problem. Also make sure to use Ctrl-M which will let you view the sub-assemblies.

Thanks for this, he said he made the model using only parts from 8458 and 8466 why would some of the parts be unofficial (just wondering). Any other tips for creating this model what be welcomed as i found it diffult to navigate the model in the view i was using.

Thanks

Edited by brad257

Thanks for this, he said he made the model using only parts from 8458 and 8466 why would some of the parts be unofficial (just wondering). Any other tips for creating this model what be welcomed as i found it diffult to navigate the model in the view i was using.

I don't mean the actual parts are unofficial, I mean the LDraw part files are unofficial in that they have not been approved by the Ldraw Steering Committee yet. Part files which have not been approved do not appear in the part library that you download which is why they are missing when you open the file. You need to download the unofficial parts with LDView to see them. But you are correct, all the real parts come from those two sets. If you have those, you have everything you need.

If you are new to Technic, I would not recommend starting with this model. It is an extremely complex build. I have built every Technic set ever and I still found this very challenging and made lots of mistakes before I got it right.

I am getting the errors "Error loading submodel LS40.DAT" and "Error loading submodel LS41.dat" any ideas, i am trying to open the mpd film from the brickshelf gallery for this model.

Thanks

I am getting the errors "Error loading submodel LS40.DAT" and "Error loading submodel LS41.dat" any ideas, i am trying to open the mpd film from the brickshelf gallery for this model.

The parts that begin with "LS" are Lsynth parts. Lsynth is a tool to make flexible parts like flex axles, hoses, and belts. I actually made all the flex parts for this CAD file for Nathanael myself, and there are a lot of them. To see these flexible parts, you need LSynth installed. Follow the link to do so. If you don't want to actually install LSynth but just want the parts to work, you can get those LS* files here. Put them into your ldraw/unofficial directory.

Here is what the car should look like in LDView once you have all the parts.

supercar.png

There are quite a few instruction steps imbedded in the file, especially for the chassis. Go to the chassis submodel by hitting Ctrl-M (or picking submodels from the menu) and then use the arrows in the toolbar to step through the instruction steps. Rotate the view to see which parts are being added each step, and you should be able to build the model.

If you haven't already, build the stock versions of 8458 and 8466 first. They are great models and it will be good practice.

Happy building!

The parts that begin with "LS" are Lsynth parts. Lsynth is a tool to make flexible parts like flex axles, hoses, and belts. I actually made all the flex parts for this CAD file for Nathanael myself, and there are a lot of them. To see these flexible parts, you need LSynth installed. Follow the link to do so. If you don't want to actually install LSynth but just want the parts to work, you can get those LS* files here. Put them into your ldraw/unofficial directory.

Here is what the car should look like in LDView once you have all the parts.

supercar.png

There are quite a few instruction steps imbedded in the file, especially for the chassis. Go to the chassis submodel by hitting Ctrl-M (or picking submodels from the menu) and then use the arrows in the toolbar to step through the instruction steps. Rotate the view to see which parts are being added each step, and you should be able to build the model.

If you haven't already, build the stock versions of 8458 and 8466 first. They are great models and it will be good practice.

Happy building!

thanks, in unofficial there are folders p and parts, which folder do i paste the file into

EDIT: Got it working just wondering how you can tell what size axel is being used at each stage? or can you break down a part list for each stage or is there anyway on to click on individual parts to identify them

Edited by brad257

I would rather have instructions for his new Concept Car. In Brick journal, there was a picture of his Concept Car on display with Crowkiller's own models at Brickworld, so there has to be something out there. :sceptic:

EDIT: Got it working just wondering how you can tell what size axel is being used at each stage? or can you break down a part list for each stage or is there anyway on to click on individual parts to identify them

If you are experienced with Technic, you can tell just by looking. Sadly, there is no way to get a per step parts list in LDView, but you can see the parts per step in MLCAD. You also cannot click on parts in LDView. It is just a viewer. Again though, you can do that in MLCAD. MLCAD has a much longer learning curve than LDView though.

Glad it is working. Good luck with the car.

Nathanael's Concept Car (mentioned) is MUCH simpler, but I too hope to see instructions some day.

I too would like to see the electronic version of his Concept Car's, both the sports car and the SUV!!! Both wonderful creations!!!

I've made PDF-instructions using LPUB a few months ago. I guess I can upload them somewhere, if anybody's interested?

The PDF-file is 35mb, what's the best place to upload? Rapidshare?

I've made PDF-instructions using LPUB a few months ago. I guess I can upload them somewhere, if anybody's interested?

If you could upload the instruction to rapidshare or megaupload or similar that would be great. Every Little Helps.

Thanks

Wao, this is a great news! I recommend you Rapidshare.

Ok, I've uploaded the instructions to RapidShare

Have fun with it! :classic:

Thanks for all the help everyone i look forward to recreating this great model.

Therion do you have any instructions for Nathanael's GT car? I cant get that CAD file to open

Therion do you have any instructions for Nathanael's GT car? I cant get that CAD file to open

No sorry, I don't...

Does the flexible tubing require additional cutting down from the original size in the f1 set, if so where can i buy some of this tubing from so i can keep the original f1 sizes. I am in the uk.

Thanks

Does the flexible tubing require additional cutting down from the original size in the f1 set, if so where can i buy some of this tubing from so i can keep the original f1 sizes. I am in the uk.

Thanks

Nope, you don't have to cut anything. But you'll need the hoses from both 8458 and 8466 sets.

Apparently Rapidshare deletes the file after 10 downloads... :hmpf_bad:

I've uploaded it again: here

(I've edited the link in my previous post also)

And here's another link at MegaUpload

If anyone has a better suggestion for a site where I can upload?

Thanks so much for putting in the massive amount of work to do this and make it available. If you haven't already, you should contact Nathanael and make sure he gets a copy.

Thanks so much for putting in the massive amount of work to do this and make it available. If you haven't already, you should contact Nathanael and make sure he gets a copy.

That's the first thing I did, so he already has a copy. :wink:

He was really enthusiastic about it. :thumbup: