Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

Mysterious Lego Ship

Sorry, my bad, ive just realised theres already a thread on this ship. Im a bit late :pir_laugh2: Ignore this post!

I was wondering if anyone has seen this ship before. I found it while browsing bricklink. It seems it was made by Lego as part of a promotional pirate tour back in 1989. Its a lovely model and its minifig scale. I cant seem to find any other pics of it. Does anyone know where i can find any other pics, as im quite tempted to recreate this. Thats the sort of ship i wish lego released for AFOLs, allthough it would probably be pricey!

921273.jpg

Edited by Derfel Cardarn

I guess at i have seen that ship somewhere but dont know where i founded it :pir-sceptic: Pirates has getted a real beaty :pir-cry_happy:

It's absolutely beautiful - I'd put $2000 to it right now if it was available LOL!

-Cook :jollyroger:

I believe its a replica of the "Vasa".

i knew at i have seen that ship before, it was Vasa`s replica,

Captain Becker

Was this an actual set or some kind of "special occasion" model or what? I looks great whatever it may be.

Could be the Vasa, but that would be a bit strange because I see a few pirate flags :pir-classic:

But if you just look at the shape, it kinda looks like the Vasa indeed.

And it doesn't matter a lot anyway, it's still a beauty!

This model was build back in the 80's with the release of the first pirate sets.

It was shown all around the world at Lego shows, I have seen it here in Holland at the V&D department store.

Most ships I build after seeing it, up until the Denise use somewhat the same colour scheme.

I wonder what ever happened to the model.

I don't think it's the Vasa. Compare to this very detailed large scale model at the Vasa-museum in Stockholm.

http://www.vasamuseet.se/ImageVault/Images...ultHandler.aspx

Note also that the model is painted with what is belived to be the actual color scheme the ship had on the fatal day in 1628 when she sank. Notice her side is painted partly red, not blue as otherwise is most often seen. The research to establish the color scheme was completed in 2008 after 12 years of anlalyzing small fragments of paint.

Source: www.vasamuseet.se

Edited by Superkalle

I don't think it's the Vasa. Compare to this very detailed large scale model at the Vasa-museum in Stockholm.

your right...

though the only other ship it could possibly be is the Sovereign of the Seas, though everything besides the color suggests that it is the Vasa...

:pir_yoda:

P.S. there is ONE other ship it could be, but no matter how hard I try I absolutely cannot remember its name! I'm stumped... though I can't really see it being anything other than the Vasa...

It's just a fantasy ship if you ask me.

Someone came up with this ship before on this forum and in the end, this is what they found out:

No-one in LEGOLAND Billund knows anything about the ship.

But - I threw it on our Forum in the danish LUG "Byggepladen.dk" before I drowe to Billund this morning, and a wonderful guy called Heine wrote this (translated from danish):

"The ship was never ment to be a set. Apparently, it was displayed at 1993 World Lego Expo, which had the theme "Pirates Ahoy". If this is the ship, LEGO named it "Pirate Galleon", it consists 13.280 bricks, and it took about 101 hours to build.

All these facts found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Pirates, but the year 1993 in wiki, does not tally the 1991 on Bricklink"

I think this is all we will find out about it since it has been built a long time ago.

It's a very big chance this is the right ship because there is one famous postcard with a pirate galleon on it and in the same time there was a famous pirate galleon in Lego Expo.

I think any more speculation about what ship it might be is quite useless anyway (unless someone finds more useful information of course :pir-sweet: )

Sorry, my bad, ive just realised theres already a thread on this ship. Im a bit late :pir_laugh2: Ignore this post!

921273.jpg

could anyone please provide a link, I would really like to find out more about this amazing ship :pir-classic:

Its based on the Sovereign Of The Seas, and there are links in this thread to some pictures but theres not much info to be found on it