Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Favorite Train Engine Poll

Pick Your Favorite Engine/Locomotive  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Lego Train Engine?

• 162 Locomotive
    • 727 Diesel Locomotive
    • 3740 My Own Train Steam Engine (small-any color)
    • 3741/10205 My Own Train Steam Engine (large-any color)
    • 4551 Crocodile Locomotive
    • 7750 Steam Engine w/Tender
    • 7755 Diesel Heavy Shunting Locomotive
    • 7760 Diesel Shunter Locomotive
    • 10020 Santa Fe Super Chief (SFSC)
    • 10133 Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF)
    • 10157 High Speed Train Locomotive
    • Other (not mentioned)

All this discussion re. what's better, European or American train design and pictures of great locomotives made me think, "well, it's time for a favorite LOCOMOTIVE poll". We've done complete sets before, but here's a poll of your favorite single ENGINE set. Locomotives that were only made available in a train set (like the Metroliner for example) have not been included as this poll is engines only.

After looking at images of some of the classic sets, like 7750, these were great little sets too.

See what you like and I've attached an image of all of these great models to help you decide.

legotrainenginepoll15.jpg

Well, I was never really 'big' on trains, but one of my friends is, and I always liked 10020 SFSC, so I voted for that.

I can't decide!

Huh... guess how I'm feeling... *wacko* ... I'm leaning towards 7760, though... then again, there's 10133... hm, oh well, I'll decide later...

Quick question: since there's no 10 items per poll limit anymore, any reason why 7810 isn't on the list?

i'd vote for 7760.

sure, 10020 and 10133 are brilliant, but they're exclusives, meaning, they've spent waaay much more time and effort on design and i think the price tag wouldn't compare with the others either...

the old tender doesn't look very great. i would have gone for a different model than this...

the high speed train is ugly...

the 7750 doesn't look that good either. the wheel base is weird. 2+2? i think there were instructions in the classic lego idea book for a large steam train... i would have bought that one...

i like the red one, even tho not the best train set i can imagine

the blue is the best. it looks like a small cargo loc, destined to transport cargo around train stations, depots,.... we have green-yellow versions of this type

the red crocodile is ugly. what was lego thinking off?

162, 727 i only know both from catalogs. they're from the 70's somewhere... i remember i was impressed by both models even tho they look rather primitive these days...

I went after some little hesitation for the Super chief !!!! Brilliant and beautifull model !! Fantastic design and colour pattern !!

The Super Chief is the first train engine I bought !!!! Now I am a train fan !!!!

I also loved the Burlington and the black big My own train !!!!

Yoda

Quick question: since there's no 10 items per poll limit anymore, any reason why 7810 isn't on the list?

On Brickshelf, 7810 was listed as a "push-along" train, so I did not include it. I was also trying to limit the choices to 10 not realizing that you could have more than 10 choices. I found out by accident when I was at 10, then added the "Short" MOT Steam Engine and a choice for "Other". That's why the MOT short engine isn't in the picture.

OK, after much thought between the Super Chief and the old classic 7750 DB Steam Engine, I went with 7750. Sure; as Snefroe pointed out, the SFSC is a brilliant model and Lego sunk a lot of time and money in in it's design (but disagreeing w/ Snefroe) 7750 has the classic look that reminds me of why I started liking lego trains.

I like steam engines, it's a good size (a little larger than some of the other black locos included in complete sets, I like the black and red colors, the black doors are great, and it came with two figs. This set is a classic and for it's time (1980), very nice design. My 2nd choice is the Super Chief for being a great model!

7750 reminds me of a "scaled-down" version of this:

German_BR_18-4_DB_-_Marklin_29855_M.jpg

OK, after much thought between the Super Chief and the old classic 7750 DB Steam Engine, I went with 7750. Sure; as Snefroe pointed out, the SFSC is a brilliant model and Lego sunk a lot of time and money in in it's design (but disagreeing w/ Snefroe) 7750 has the classic look that reminds me of why I started liking lego trains.

I like steam engines, it's a good size (a little larger than some of the other black locos included in complete sets, I like the black and red colors, the black doors are great, and it came with two figs. This set is a classic and for it's time (1980), very nice design. My 2nd choice is the Super Chief for being a great model!

7750 reminds me of a "scaled-down" version of this:

German_BR_18-4_DB_-_Marklin_29855_M.jpg

actually, this was the official lego version of your train:

http://www.peeron.com/scans/7777-1/40

Well, it looks like the Super Chief is voted best engine. It is a great model, and Lego's most detailed engine made to date (followed closely by the BNSF). - Now if we could get a detailed steam engine as the next train model, that would be awesome!.

I did this photo review a while back if anyone would like to see some close-up pics of the Super Chief:

Super Chief Photo Review

Sante Fe Super Chief. It just look plain awesome. And those words come from someone who never really was into trains...

The red 7725 has always been my favourite train set although it looks a bit simple right next to the super chief with its brilliant silver cars. dunno, I'm just a big 12v fan.

The red 7725 has always been my favourite train set although it looks a bit simple right next to the super chief with its brilliant silver cars. dunno, I'm just a big 12v fan.

That train got me out of my dark ages almost 2 years ago. I modified it for 9V and made a forth waggon, though, so it's not that "original" anymore.

I like 12V, too, but 9V is easier to set up, so I decided to switch a year ago. And with modded switches you can make decent layouts :-)

Humm this is a hard desicison............ |-/ Love the look of 7755, but as to never owning any 12v trains(I only have a 4.5v battery train 7722-small black engine with red battery box, red & yellow box car, and flatbed).

Alas I went with the BNSF GP38-2. When I first sall that loco I couldn't believe my eyes. Yes the Santa Fe F7 Super Chief model was great, but I never have really been a fan of F units. The cool thing about the BNSF loco besides owning one, is that I live in Washington so there is a huge presence of BNFS in the area, and plus before the merger I used to see those locomotives all the time in the old Burlington Northern Green and Black colors. Heres an example of what I have seen/currently see: http://www.marketmaker.net/cnw/bnsf2.phtml Yes I have even see the elusive dark green(not dark blue/green) and creamy white with red pinstripe exectutive paintscheme. I see Dash 9's on a regular basis.

But however, My most favortie locomotive is the General Electric EF4 Electric Freight Locomotive also know as "Little Joe"(named after Joseph Stalin when they were orignally supposed to go to the Trans Siberian Railway). I have actually seen the Loco in person thats in this Pic, and it's HUGE!!!! This one belonged to the now long bankrupt and gone Chicago Milwaukee St. Paul & Pacific Railway(Milwaukee Road). Thats like a 4ft fence in the photo:

e70-all.JPG

Excellent taste in trains 3D. I do like the orange and dark green colors of the BNSF. I still think the Super Chief is a little better in design (esp. having the entire top lift off for "playability"/maintenance work). But a good choice none the less.

That puts the SFSC and the BNSF at a tie. Now we need a tie breaker!