How do you rate this set?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Just OK
    • Pretty good
    • Excellent!

Thanks for the review! If I buy just one set from the Prince of Persia line, this will be the one. It's affordable but still packed with a good array of all the special PoP goodies: dark nougat arches, camel, gold domes, great minifigs including the princess with that lovely hair piece, the list goes on. It's a set that can easily be recycled in MOCs of other themes, and the minifigs are multipurpose too. Don't give me psychos with messed up faces or zombies, I want normal looking minifigs that can fit well in other settings. This set is a winner!

We just finished up Episode 24 reviewing this set and have the Battle of Alamut coming out tonite.

Edited by BrickMan7

Good review, this is one of the better sets so far, it going to be extremely useful for MOCing.

If only they produced those new arches in tan.

They do! But only in the Grand Emporium set so far :wink:

The new arch piece will also come in black when the Portal of Atlantis set is released.

Nice review. This is probably one of the best PoP sets so far. The only thing that bothers me is that the structure looks too simple IMO.

really, what's up with BL's name, medium dark flesh? It's self-contradictory!

Haha! I agree. I am sticking with 'medium nougat' myself. If only because it's 100% more delicious-sounding! :laugh:

As for licensed sets being overpriced... Nobody is really sure what the non-NA market prices will be, but I think the Prince of Persia line represents substantial value for any theme, let alone a Licensed one.

Just look at the Star Wars line for example of overpriced license. The 8091 Republic Swamp Speeder with 176 pieces is the same price as the 7571 Fight for the Dagger in $US, yet contains considerably less interesting pieces and figs (apart from 1 exclusive fig noone could even remember without looking her up on Wookiepedia). I love that the Prince of Persia line is 99% old-fashioned bricks, too, not Technic pins and beams.

(I don't even think PoP will end up as expensive as SW, however.)

I picked up this set last week. I'm very pleased with it, as well. To enhance the market scene, I put it on a tan baseplate and added the Indiana Jones Ambush in Cairo set.

Haha! I agree. I am sticking with 'medium nougat' myself. If only because it's 100% more delicious-sounding! :laugh:

As for licensed sets being overpriced... Nobody is really sure what the non-NA market prices will be, but I think the Prince of Persia line represents substantial value for any theme, let alone a Licensed one.

Just look at the Star Wars line for example of overpriced license. The 8091 Republic Swamp Speeder with 176 pieces is the same price as the 7571 Fight for the Dagger in $US, yet contains considerably less interesting pieces and figs (apart from 1 exclusive fig noone could even remember without looking her up on Wookiepedia). I love that the Prince of Persia line is 99% old-fashioned bricks, too, not Technic pins and beams.

(I don't even think PoP will end up as expensive as SW, however.)

I prefer sand orange so I can think of beaches :grin: It helps me through this time of the year: PIC :hmpf:

And yeah, you're right. Prince of Persia has a much better value than Star Wars if you're looking for useful parts and minifigs and that's why I'm going to dedicate my LEGO budget from now until June to the PoP sets :sweet:

I picked up this set last week. I'm very pleased with it, as well. To enhance the market scene, I put it on a tan baseplate and added the Indiana Jones Ambush in Cairo set.

Good idea! I have the three smallest sets all displayed together now and I was just thinking this morning that they needed a tan baseplate to add to the desert feel :thumbup:

Great review Svelte!

Great picture quality and commentary as always.

But do I detect a bit of urgency in your review, perhaps to insure that it is the first?

Just kidding! :laugh:

Luckily you will be the first person to review Quest Against Time as I didn't bother picking that one up!

I just don't really care for the design of it, but who knows maybe you will persuade me otherwise once you review it? :classic:

Thanks for the wonderful review!

Being only half aware of the contents of the set, I was already up for buying Fight for the Dagger (it may be my favorite of the available PoP sets). However after seeing all the fantastic pieces laid out I want this set even more. :tongue: I like everything about it - the design, the pieces, the minifigures, the play-features, and the price. Someone will have to do some investigating about the integration with the Battle of Alamut kit - it doesn't look like there are any pins for clipping it in place, so either the feature has been dropped or else you have to use your imagination for attaching the two together.

Someone will have to do some investigating about the integration with the Battle of Alamut kit - it doesn't look like there are any pins for clipping it in place, so either the feature has been dropped or else you have to use your imagination for attaching the two together.

No, there are no pins, and I don't see how you could clip it into the available shape anyway. Maybe they meant 'attached' as in 'adjacent' and you just place the market outside the gates :tongue:, which would make more sense in term of a fort layout anyway.

No, there are no pins, and I don't see how you could clip it into the available shape anyway. Maybe they meant 'attached' as in 'adjacent' and you just place the market outside the gates :tongue:, which would make more sense in term of a fort layout anyway.

Agreed. A layout with it out front would make sense and the two would compliment each other nicely.

When I acquire my copies of Fight for the Dagger and Battle of Alamut, I want to try removing one of the side walls of the fortress and putting 7571 in that place. It seems to me that Fight for the Dagger should fit alongside fairly nicely. I might try incorporating those retracting planks into the side with the 'breakable' wall section too. I did a quick, horrible photoshop job of what I mean -

popcombination.jpg

(Note: I used picks Svelte's review of 7571, and Clone O'Patra's review of 7573)

Edited by ZO6

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZO6/PoPc...combination.jpg

(Note: I used picks Svelte's review of 7571, and Clone O'Patra's review of 7573)

Nice quick Photoshoppin'! :laugh: Now you can go back and remove all the dark corners from my pics, since I always have so many I never bother removing them :wink:

I am not sure about removing one wall from the Alamut set and straightforwardly replacing it, as it weakens the fort. I think expanding the walls and enlarging the interior, and then adding the market to the inside, might be one way to go.

Personally I want to get a few Alamuts to make a lovely walled fortress/ town.

We definitely need some pics of all these sets together :thumbup:

Nice review Svelte. Just like the palace, seems like an excellent parts pack. I prefer the tan to the dark tan camel though.

Good review!

This set has always been on my radar since it was first announced. It just seems like a solid value and fun little set to mess around with.

At first I thought of getting maybe two of these for a "Poor Man's" Alamut, but I decided that Alamut was just far to impressive to ignore. :tongue:

Excellent Review Svelte :thumbup:

My personal favorite set of this theme. You showed why very well. Excellent, Excellent Parts :wub:

Playset is nice and visually appealing.

Plus it comes with a camel and the dagger, thus eliminating my need for the largest set :grin:

Ok thanks xilefsson must've missed that part. :wacko: @indianajones I was commenting (sarcastically) to Svelte as follows: Sadly, a race between Tamina on an oppressed camel and Asoka on a cart dragged by the Alamut merchant was never going to replace motorcar racing as an extreme sport.---I laughed at that one. :laugh:

Anyway my Battle of Alamut should be coming tomorrow or Friday, so I'll see if it mentions it in the instructions.

-Santhor

Edited by Santhor

Nice review. This is one of my favorite sets of the series. I added my IJ Cairo ambush and made a whole complete market. Great set and great review. 10/10 :classic:

Yup, just as I thought: no dice on the connections...oh well. Sets are still lookin' awesome!

-Santhor

Just got this set on sale, and I have to say, I love it. It has great architecture, and comes with a massive amount of accessories. I especially love all the food!

Although the building is a bit small, once you add the figs and camel, i looks superb, and busy, but not too much so, like a market should. When I first read the review, I was put down by the price, but seeing as its a new theme with a ton of new molds (and I got it on sale!!!! :cry_happy: ) I think the price is perfect.