Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for New Train Sets

traintech1.jpg

Hello everybody! :classic:

Since it's now already some time ago that Trains got its own subforum and does no longer belong to the Town subforum, I thought that it surely would be very interesting and that it even would make sense to have a seperate topic about our ideas for future Train sets.

This topic should imo be very similar to the Ideas for new City sets topic - with the only difference that of course there may be even ideas for ancient trains, too, and not only for those directly belonging to the City theme.

But please note: This shall be no topic where pros, cons and possibilities of different types of train motors, tracks etc. are discussed - so no technical discussions but discussions.

So please post your ideas here! Comments and discussions are welcome! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Great idea 'Klaus-Dieter' - I'll start it off. :grin:

What about a maintance train, PF'ed with an opening side like the police semitrailier with tool rack, bench with grinder and large drill press, etc.,.

gallery_570_6_25086.jpg

Of course - more steam trains would be nice too ! :sweet:

4225797216_d35c47ffb5.jpg

GWR King Class

gwrpannierweb.jpg

GWR Pannier Tank Loco :wub:

More realistic loco's along the Emerald Night style rather than Hogwarts Express

I'd love to see a range of individual vehicles available for sale from tran sets:

> Hopper and Van from 7898

> Tanker from this years goods train set

Several re-releases/upgrades of 9V stuff, including:

> 4536 Blue Hopper

> 4543 Tractor Flatbed

> 4552 Cargo Crane

> 4553 Train wash - an essential part of train operations.

> Metroliner - an important type of set/train, familiar to many other trains in many countries.

And as a few extras:

> Bufferstops - 2 varieties for extra interest.

> Signals - both semaphore and colourlight

> Platform - for extending the standard station set.

> 'Basics' sets - comprising buffers, wheels, and plates to construct a underframe/base. 2 versions, bogie and 4-wheel.

> 'Coach sets' - similar to the Santa Fe coach principle, coach sets which could build a variety of coaches.

As always, cost could be reduced by introducing the range in a variety of colours, so to make each train individual.

Edited by Matt Dawson

Some great colour schemes for Lego (Blue / Red) is the SBB (Switzerland) Cargo.

http://images.google.ch/images?q=sbb+cargo...ved=0CA8QsAQwAA

They have some real nice Blue / Red cargo shunters (small) which would fit a PF XL motor, Battery box and IR Receiver...

Now a nice link I found http://www.railfaneurope.net/ - they have various photos of rolling stock... a nice resource?

Growing up, my favourite train was the 'LNER Class A4 4468 Mallard'. I'd love to see that released in Lego form, something as epic as the Emerald Night would be swell.

Mallard_locomotive_625.jpg

Great ideas so far! :thumbup:

Great idea 'Klaus-Dieter' - I'll start it off. :grin:

What about a maintance train, PF'ed with an opening side like the police semitrailier with tool rack, bench with grinder and large drill press, etc.,.

Thanks, lightningtiger. :classic:

A Maintanance Train would indeed be great! And if TLG throws in a signal and a lot of tools plus two minifigs it would offer a lot of playbility - so even JFOLs would really like it.

There is a big improvement when you compare this year's train sets with those of the last decade. The passenger train has an incredible realistic design (apart from that it doesn't include doors and does only include a minimum platform and one three minifigs) and the cargo train includes even a tank waggon and a cargo loading station.

So I wish TLG will go on with this theme the next years and will not kill it after its first great wave (like they in principle did with the previous Train themes). There should and even could well be that awesome additional sets!

So here are my most wanted sets TLG should release in addition to this year's Train sets (none of them should be CC styled since I do not buy CC styled buildings!):

For the City theme:

Train Worker Impulse 3 Euros

a signal

minifig: train worker

Small Shunting Engine 20 Euros

a shunting engine (without PF functions - but possibility to include them)

minifigs: train worker

Refridgerator Waggon 30 Euros

a refridgerator waggon

including a small truck, a pallette joe and many packets

minifigs: train worker and regular worker

Car Loading Platform 50 Euros

a platform with a barrier and a small office

including an open freight waggon, a car transport truck and two cars

minifigs: train worker and truck driver

Warehouse 70 Euros

a large building (stockroom and small office)with one platform on the left side (to load and enload goods from trains) and one on the right side (to enload and load goods from trucks)

including a big truck, two closed freight cars, a pallette joe and a lot of cargo stuff

minifigs: two train workers, a truck driver and a female civilian working in the office

Grand Central Station 90 Euros

a big train station in ancient architectual style (first floor: ticket stand, waiting area and kiosk, second floor: restaurant and railway control center) with a large and long platform with ticket machine, street lamps, signals and benchs/seats

including a suitcase transport vehicle with minimum one trailer, a blue bicycle, a skateboard, some food pieces and some suitcases

minifigs: cook, ticket seller, railway control center officer, female kiosk owner, female civilian, boy and girl

Modern Engine Shed (S@H Exclusive) 100 Euros

a modern engine shed with two tracks in parallel, roller gates, a small office and a platform between the two tracks

including many machines and a lot of tools

minifigs: three train workers

What do you think? Do you think that some of them are realistic to await?

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Gee, 'Klaus' you have been thinking haven't you eh ?

The train shed idea, Lego did set themselves their own bar real high on the last and only one - best World City set ever and one of my favorite builds ! :wub:

But it's time for a modern maintance shed, but still leave the option for have the track continous or parallel running like the original did.

An impulse with a train signal, like my design for a dwarf signals would fit the bill ! :wink:

Fridge car - you please - love one big enough to sticker 'Farmer's Union Iced Coffee' on the side of it ! :grin:

Warehouse - oh yes please - I have too design my own real shortly - ow well must go to LDD then eh ?

Now a fresh idea has popped in to my head, hopper with loader for either grain or road/construction materials (cement, sand, ballast material, etc.,.) !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I know it will never happen, but I'd like to see them go back to a "My Own Trains" style, where you can pick engines and colors and rolling stock ala carte.

I know it's not going to happen, I'm just saying.

I would definitely like to see sets like the ones that are sold in hobby scales, like the old west style steam train that comes with four or five simple freight cars, or a four or five passenger cars.

Or, if need be, more modern sets like the Metroliner/light rail/commuter train set. (like it, not "it").

I guess I'm just thinking "bigger." More cars. More rolling stock. Make it look like a "real" train.

Working signals?

That'd be awesome. Preferably something that's customizable, so a Dutch person wouldn't end up with (horribly complicated) German or British signals. So that people could have their own look to their layouts, right?

Other than that... not much on my wishlist, really.

Maybe modular station sets?

- Main station building.

- Completely empty platform piece for complete customization.

- Platform with an under- or overpass.

- Platform with a kiosk

- Platform with...?

A single module would be as long as a single train car or locomotive.

Three modules is enough to fit a single three-car train, like the upcoming 7938 passenger train. Six modules is enough to make a double-sided platform. Fourteen modules (twelve for the trains and two for the 7996 switches) would fit four trains with the realistic means to actually have four trains at the station.

Sell 3 (basic) modules in a boxed set for... €100? Single modules go for €40-€45? (The main building would probably go for more, or be included with the boxed set)

It wouldn't be a big seller (LEGO Shop at Home exclusive), but something for the more dedicated LEGO trainers with enough space, yet who don't have the bricks to build their own stations.

Edited by Melfice

For the Exclusive series, I would love a modular style (although it doesn't necessarily need to consist of modules) big, classic Train station. I don't care what it cost :). Also, a follow up of the Emerald Night would be nice.

For the City line, I can think of many things, which all have been released in 9V or 12V form in one way or another. There's nothing wrong with new versions, IMO. After all, the new passenger and cargo trains are also just the latest in a line of many.

And of course they should use and expand Power Functions to make all kinds of remote control functional things, like the remote stuff available in the 80's

Edited by Helmantel

I always though this is a real nice looking passenger set. Northstar MPI MP36PH

4508911257_e34ffa137a_o.jpg

With this one being a close second......

4509560088_4d891628ed_o.jpg

Edited by Pugsly

I always though this is a real nice looking passenger set. Northstar MPI MP36PH

That's a nice one... good call, Pugsly.

The bridge really makes that picture, though... has LEGO ever released a set with a bridge? The whole track would have to be elevated, but what cool set that would make.

EDIT: Another thing... rusted track and wooden ties.... why doesn't LEGO make tracks in brown?

Edited by fred67

EDIT: Another thing... rusted track and wooden ties.... why doesn't LEGO make tracks in brown?

...because they only just made 1x4 tiles in dark brown, with 1x1s yet to appear!

The track is kept simple for kids, so we AFOLs can enhance it with sleepers and ballast.

Hopefully the track pieces consider out needs as well as those of kids, but the flexi-track was a bit of a mess!

The Emerald Night was a big step forward for TLG. a GWR Pannier Tank might be possible with the EN wheels, as long as a motor would fit inside.

A GM UK Class 66 would make a good diesel loco set for Europe, as they are in many European countries too. Given that we've had the Santa Fe and BNSF locos, I think it's Europe's turn for a diesel!

Steam may be more exciting, but a diesel is more easily within kids' parents' price range!

Mark

Steam may be more exciting, but a diesel is more easily within kids' parents' price range!

Mark

Until you have to start paying for the fuel costs!

... lame joke? Yeah, I know.

Anyway, the upcoming cargo train does, very much, look like a European-style diesel locomotive, so perhaps that's LEGO's acknowledgement of European railways. ;)

But I know what you mean. Something more exclusive, like the aforementioned Santa Fe and BNSF trains.

The problem with picking and designing a European locomotive/train is that there are 27 member nations to the European Union, and almost just as many different styles of European trains.

Do you go with the UK, a country that almost seems a synonym for Europe (much to my chagrin... but that's a different topic) and that has some remarkable train designs; Germany, home to Siemens, Bombardier Transportation and the gods know how many other train designers/builders; or do you go with a mix-match of designs found all over Europe (Usually built or designed in Germany...)?

Choices, choices.

(That Class 66 you mentioned would be a good pick, of course. But so would trains built by Siemens (such as the EuroSprinter, and there's another one which I can't remember the name of...), which can be found all over Europe as well.)

How about a train station along the lines of modular house product line, like the recent fire station and grand emproium? People interested in modular houses would probably be interested as well as the train fans.

I have always liked the Metra trains in Chicago.

Edited by Reywas

Back in the 1950's and 1960's Swedish company NOHAB made diesels called Di3, MX and MY (all quite similar in design) that was sold to various countries in Europe. These trains were made on license from GM and the style was influcenced by the EMD F7, but had two cabs. These trains are still in use today in countries such as Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Germany, (where they are known as 'Rundnase'), Italy and Kosovo. Today they manly are used for freight trains these days.

A lot of people liked the Santa Fe locomotive and mentioned earlier in this thread are wishes for European diesels. With one of these NOHAB's you kind of get both. Today the come in a variety of colour schemes. For instance, a Swedish train company called TÃ¥gab have a MY (called TMY in Sweden) painted in Great Northern livery after the train was used in a movie that was set in the US, but shot in Sweden.

There is a building instruction of a MX available on Railbricks.

How about a train station along the lines of modular house product line, like the recent fire station and grand emproium? People interested in modular houses would probably be interested as well as the train fans.

Iv recently finished a cc style train station just havent had the chance to take some decent pics.Will hopefully get a chance in the next few days in the meantime thow here's a sneak peek>

P1000356_2.jpg

I'd kill for a LEGO Flying Scotsman, in LNER livery and with the single chimney and no smoke deflectors, of course. Otherwise... well, I'd still want it.

Since we got the EN then Maersk, why not the next highly detailed train be a Steam? I think a Streamliner type train like this 4--6-2 "President"-class would be great!

B%26O_Royal_Blue_in_1937.jpg

I'd like to see trains with more technical detail - you have all those PF channels, why not release a PF-S motor (2x2x3 like the 9v micro please?) and make a nice remote controlled railway crane?

Edited by Sokratesz

Allow the following to be remotely controlled and we're on the right track (boom-tish):

topyard-10.jpg

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1159.jpg

11772696088D3BpZ.jpg

12506126013up6di.jpg

:thumbup:

I'd kill for a LEGO Flying Scotsman, in LNER livery and with the single chimney and no smoke deflectors, of course. Otherwise... well, I'd still want it.

The EN is supposedly modelled on the Scotsman so we've already got it. If you want it closer than that then you MOD it.

en1.jpg

(Yes, I know I'm replying to an old post. :laugh: )

Edited by Snapshot