10 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Today's the first day of the new Daily Mirror promo: http://www.mirror.co.uk/lego/free-toys/

And first up is a basic Le Mans racer. I understand that this one was already available through Lego Club, but now it's here. It's a tiny set, and there's not much to say, so this won't take long.

INFORMATION:

Set Name: Le Mans Car

Set Number: 7802

Theme: Lego Racers

Year Released: 2009 / 2010

Number of Pieces: 29 plus 10 stickers

Price: €1 with the Daily Mirror

The Bag

img_0409.jpg

Here's the plastic bag. There are three more out of frame, to the left. I'm not a huge fan of Racers, but they were only a euro each, dammit! The back of the bag is a big wall of the usual legal stuff and a veritable Rosetta Stone of how to say "Choking Hazard. Contains small parts" in no fewer than 30 languages. No tourist should leave home without one.

The Contents:

img_0421.jpg

Thirty bits, none of them particularly exciting. There's an ad on the back of the instructions, nothing worth noting, the one with the car jumping through the oil barrels on the back of the apostrophe-deficient Carls Cargo lorry.

The Mystery Envelope:

img_0417.jpg

The cardboard thing at the side contains the stickers, keeping them nice and uncrinkled. Very good of TLG to do that, these plastic bags can take quite a beating. I didn't apply the stickers. Sorry.

Half-Built:

img_0425.jpg

It takes about a minute to build the whole car, and anybody who's built a Racers car before will be familiar with the process. This set doesn't deviate, right down to the garish round studs they all seem to have under the hood.

Mostly-Built:

img_0429.jpg

Here it is with four pieces left to go. The camera flash is highlighting the red and yellow between the cracks a little more than normal light would; you can see it, but it's not really this obvious.

Fully Built:

img_0435.jpg

So that's it, minus stickers. Quick to build, looks okay beside regular Racers racers but without as much bulk or streamlining. I actually think it looks a little like a Burton Batmobile.

The Spares

img_0438.jpg

A single yellow stud.

IN CONCLUSION

I'm not big into Racers. I got these because they equal cheap parts, and not very exciting ones at that. I suppose if I were a bigger fan of Racers I could make use of the theme's trademark fenders and engine pieces; this set comes with three in total, plus four of those mudguard tiles. But those are so common across the theme that I'd probably have planty anyhow. The car has already been broken up as I type this.

I'm not sure if this promo series is going to interest AFOLs as much as past Mirror ones have. No minifigs, that sorta thing. However, if I were a kid, I imagine I'd certainly appreciate the swooshability of this, I mean it is a rather nifty-looking, shiny black racing car. I'm not gonna bother rating it, since there's not a lot to go on. I got it for cheap parts, I got cheap parts, I'm happy enough.

Thanks for reading!

- Dunjohn

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed and poll added

Thanks for the review, Dunjohn! :thumbup: Not bad for a cheap set, even if you do have to buy the Mirror. :sick:

Normally I get these in the shop at work, where the dude behind the counter sometimes gives me 2 or 3 per day, but I think I'll pass on these - I don't have much use for these little cars. Plus I'm not at work.

Worth noting annoyingly that this time WHSmiths are not having anything to do with the promo, it is TRU and Tesco that are the suppliers of the free sets on the day.

Needless to say I was not impressed this morning, I actually worked out ten minutes when I could get the a Smiths anticipating picking up one and was sorely disappointed. My local WHSmiths used to be a good point for a little bartering for previous day's sets and a duplicate or two, not a cat's chance in hell of Tesco playing the same game sadly. :hmpf_bad:

Well it's not bad - build your own Hot Wheels eh ?

Kids will love these so they'll be popular but not so much with us adults.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Oh wow! It comes with 6 microfigs! :tongue:

Nice review. This is my favourite of the promos

Funny how they started protecting stickers in such a set; maybe they'll think about doing it in double or triple digit priced boxes.

Nice model, thanks for the review.

Funny how they started protecting stickers in such a set; maybe they'll think about doing it in double or triple digit priced boxes.

Because this is a bag and they can get crumpled easily.

No..not the....

BWAHAHAHAHAAHAH!

Please stop it! when I am looking on this little chibi lego mummies I can;t stop laughing.

----

After hour.

Ok I hide pictures. Now I can write something.

This looks like neat basic set.

More Mummy reviews please!

They are astoundingly cute, aren't they... eight just isn't enough!