Sign in to follow this  
Sid

MOD: 10198 Tantive IV

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I knew when I bought this set that I had at least two things to do: make it "swooshable" with ease, and add some kind of landing gear. These were my main two objectives and I'm pretty happy with it now. I made so many changes here and there it'll be hard for me to explain exactly what I did, or to even give instructions. However, I hope these pictures speak for themselves.

If you have this set, you'll notice the differences immediately. For those who don't, here's the review.

Here's an overall shot: right away you notice the differences between the official model and mine:

4446749420_4900271093_o.jpg

4445974831_11c83b462f_o.jpg

It's pretty balanced when picked up by the "handle". [note: the green/yellow technic parts are for demonstration only)

4446747018_b89635a8a5_o.jpg

The landing gear:

4445975627_83e7f66626_o.jpg

4446748966_aa81b93467_o.jpg

4445974607_4f0d7279d0_o.jpg

The handle connected to the frame:

4445975329_94373db305_o.jpg

Underneath:

4445975073_b1afe0d978_o.jpg

EDIT: made minor change to the rear landing gear:

4446935094_b7a07232e5_o.jpg

Thanks for looking! :classic:

Edited by KimT

Looks really good Sid!

I like how you used those doors as "feets" on the landing gears. Very clever done.

Sadly I haven´t got the set myself yet, and therefore not built it either.

Would have been so much easier to see your mods that you have done.

Will definatley get back to this thread ones I have done so.

Looks really good Sid!

I like how you used those doors as "feets" on the landing gears. Very clever done.

Sadly I haven´t got the set myself yet, and therefore not built it either.

Would have been so much easier to see your mods that you have done.

Will definatley get back to this thread ones I have done so.

Thank you, it is very clever of you to know what piece I used for the "feet." I have just modified the rear landing gear slightly, by replacing the white 1x2 (in front of the tan round 1x1) with 2 other tan 1x1s - it made a big difference in the "look'. I will post a picture in a bit as I'm running out for an errand.

The big changes are of course the handle, but apart from that - the rear third of the ship has been moved back by 1 stud to make room for the handle and the escape pods have been rotated - in the original, you notice the studs are facing up.

Nice work; I don't have this set either :sad:yet, but I can see where you've changed it. Does the landing gear fold? If so, it'd be nice to see a picture!

Nice MOD!

I understand why you modded the Tantive IV, the original model stands on the turret. Looking at your MOD I wonder if the back landing gear is retractable, if not that would be something I would advice and love to see. But if only used as a display model without it being in flight that wouldnt matter.

Anyways well done :thumbup:

Unfortunately the landing gear doesn't retract - I spent all day yesterday trying to work this out, and in the end the ship is just too heavy for the hinges to move freely while supportingt the weight of the ship (which is quite heavy, it's a solid construction).

It'd be neat if the landing gear moved up and down vertically, but then I'd be sacrificing the interior of the ship to make room for the legs to go inside. It's just a display model with the occasional "swoosh" and landing, so I don't mind it.

Thanks to everyone for the comments

Edited by Sid