Sign in to follow this  
Ralph_S

MOC: Porsche 935 Le Mans Race car

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I wasn't sure whether this belongs in the Racers theme or in Model Team, but hey, whatever.

The Porsche 935 was a development of the famous Porsche 911. Over the years Porsche developed more powerful versions with much improved aerodynamics, but they were reluctant to sell them to customers. Instead different companies started developing their own versions. One of these was Kremer racing from Cologne in Germany. The 935 K3 was their third version.

4445541551_29b48212b4.jpg

The roof of the model is based on that of my older Porsche 911 model. That is 10 studs wide. The race version is obviously wider: 11 studs wide at the front and 12 at the rear. Phat :laugh:

4445531097_2eb243f675.jpg

Like the Porsche 911, the 935 was powered by a rear-mounted 6-cylinder boxer engine. Using two turbo-chargers and a host of other modifications the race versions produced as much as 740-800 BHP!

4446311774_b069933fd4.jpg

Being a race-car it doesn't have much of an interior, but I spent some time on adding bits of a roll-cage, the gear change mechanism and a bucket seat.

4446310634_d821d4aefa.jpg

The sponsor names and logos are very important for the look of most racecars, so I spent a lot of time making them look good. There are more than 40 individual stickers on the model!

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

OMG!

I'm speechless!

That is like one of the most detailed MOC cars ever :oh:

Its just so awesome it puts all other lego cars to shame!

I want it :tongue:

Ditto Ditto on the OMG ! :oh:

This is one of finest racing creations I have seen in Lego maybe ever ! :wub:

The stickering totally makes it come alive and all the engine and interior parts - OMG (there I go again)!

AWESOME MOC ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! 'Ralph_S' I'm a conformist! (this is one of your best yet !) :wink:

I enjoyed this car on NFS: Porsche Unleashed, it was very hard car to win, and it was possible in only one race, only one time in the game.

Porsche is one of the hardest car to design in Lego..great work, man!

WOW! Superb realism and detailing (points at engine)!

The body shape is spot on, the difference in width at the front and the back makes me wonder how it's build (jumperplates?). Do you have some close up pictures of the interior?

I can smell the rubber and gasoline from here :thumbup:

Thanks for all the great comments.

Some of you are exaggerating a bit, but I am glad you like it.

I built this for a build challenge on flickr called Lemons or Le Mans. I looked at a few lemons first (like the Tucker Torpedo or Chevrolet Corvair), but I didn't feel they were different enough from many of the other cars I've built over the years. I normally don't really care about race cars, but I started looking into Le Mans racers. I don't really like the prototype cars used in those races, but I also came across Porsches like this. I liked the colour schemes and the shape. They're obviously racers, but they still look somewhat like a normal car. I also remembered having a toy car of a Porsche 935 when I was a child. I had a hard time choosing the exact version. I finally chose this one because it's colour scheme is relatively uncomplicated. It was fun to do something a bit different and I put a lot of effort into it.

The jump in width from an odd number of studs to an even number is something I've done a few times. The connection indeed uses jumper plates -probably about 10 in all. The arrangement inside is a bit complicated because to get sufficient strength the rear and front interlock in a number of places and all of it pretty much hidden from view. I built a Ferrari Testarossa a few years ago for which I did something similar and for which it is a bit more visible.

2980437085_388a530678.jpg

2981290020_1916e46396.jpg

What made the Porsche a bit harder is that the windscreen isn't attached to the roof. Because I built the windscreen of the Testarossa using trans clear plates I was able to attach the windscreen to the roof, which made it easier to get the connection between the front and rear of the car sufficiently sturdy. It wasn't the trickiest part of the construction, however. That honour was reserved for the SNOT work on the front of the car.

I always try to have something that looks vaguely like an engine in my cars, but it often isn't very visible or I don't have a lot of space. The engine cover on this thing is pretty big, however and there aren't any steering components taking up valuable space in the engine compartment. That gave me room to add a bit more detail to the engine that I normally do.

Cheers,

Ralph

Great work yet again Ralph. The back of the car - with the partly exposed engine - is my favorite. And I really like the way you've covered the half-stud offset on both sides.

Well done. I believe you nailed the look of the Porsche very closely. Adding the Sachs sponsorship is the perfect touch to the car. Without it I don't think you would pull it off so well.

Again, well done!

A great MOC of a great car. Must say Porsche is my all time favorite.

To many people would rather go for a Ferrair or so, but not me.

I really like the mix of SNOt and studs all over your design.

There was only one thing I would liked to see a try for, and that would be to change the 1x3 plate

next to the windscreen to a 1x3 tile. Don´t know if it would look better or not. Would just be nice to see the difference.

I have thought about that when I saw your older version of the Porsche, but 1x3 tile is not available in orange.

All the stickers seem to be really good as well, and you can really tell you have put a good effort in those.

Great work yet again Ralph. The back of the car - with the partly exposed engine - is my favorite. And I really like the way you've covered the half-stud offset on both sides.

Thank you. It wouldn't be a proper racecar without a big engine.

Well done. I believe you nailed the look of the Porsche very closely. Adding the Sachs sponsorship is the perfect touch to the car. Without it I don't think you would pull it off so well.

Again, well done!

Thanks. I also looked at alternative schemes, but this seemed the most doable for this car. I liked the two blue tones together. The orange stripe used to be red at first, but I decided to change it midway during the build when I saw more pictures of the real car.

A great MOC of a great car. Must say Porsche is my all time favorite.

To many people would rather go for a Ferrair or so, but not me.

I really like the mix of SNOt and studs all over your design.

There was only one thing I would liked to see a try for, and that would be to change the 1x3 plate

next to the windscreen to a 1x3 tile. Don´t know if it would look better or not. Would just be nice to see the difference.

I have thought about that when I saw your older version of the Porsche, but 1x3 tile is not available in orange.

All the stickers seem to be really good as well, and you can really tell you have put a good effort in those.

It's nothing that can't be fixed with a 1x1 and 1x2 tile. I just did and I have to say that although I normally don't care too much about studs showing, it does look better. The reason why I didn't at first was indeed because my 911 model has studs there too. When I built that there weren't any orange 1x1 tiles, but thanks to LUGbulk I've got some of those now.

I did briefly look at Ferraris, but I liked the look of this one more.

Thanks,

Ralph

Really great job on this! Great color scheme :). And it being a rally car, it's an instant win for me!

*edit*

woops, it isn't a rally car - touring car (I got all excited an wanted to leave feed back without reading what it actually was ;))

Edited by Danpb

Looks ite real at me :wink: the engine at the back looks awesome and the overall look is just :wub::oh::oh3: Confusing, lovley and amazingly detailed. Awesome

Captain Becker

Thanks guys. I wasn't really familiar with the real car either until I started looking into Le Mans cars about two weeks ago and remember the toy car I had as a child. It was a fun build.

Cheers,

Ralph