Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

American Trains

traintech1.jpg

We were discussing what people like better: American or European trains, so I thought I'd post some pictures of American trains that I've seen/taken over the past few years. I took all the pictures except the Grand Canyon steam train that was a scan from a purchased picture. I did get to see it up close though. My own pictures weren't as vivid.

Knotts Berry Farm Narrow Gauge Steam Train, Buena Park, California

Grand Canyon Steam Train, Williams, Arizona

Union Pacific GP-30, Boulder City, Nevada

Boulder City Southern, Boulder City, Nevada

I think the Knotts narrow gauge is among my favorite engine as I love the brilliant green color. This is a C-19 type 4-8-0 originally built in 1881.

Mmmmmmmmh :wub:

The blue Nevada Southern Railway somehow reminds me of 7760 Shunter Engine. Unfortunately I never got one and now they achieve insane prices on ebay and BL...

I've never been a big steam engine fan but they always look good in real.

It does look like 7760. This is what I like about the old Lego trains. They were small, simple, but were excellent models. That's a great Lego engine.

ok...

if we are going to show some pics of our favourite trains, here are a few mine. To be clear about this: those are not my pics, they're just my favourite locs...

http://www.dieselloconline.net/routes/L42/5133c.jpg

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/imag...&tt=24&ei=UTF-8

i'd love to have a lego version of those green-yellow trains :smile:

also, the gray-yellow train looks a lot like the lego train of last year...

Yesterday I found Don Winslow's BNSF Gallery while doing some "research" on American locomotives.

And I love this gallery! Just look at this:

bnsf4795_mp39_11-02_1207_small.jpg bnsf4838_klondike_5-03_651_small.jpg bnsf4384_ludlow_5-03_326_small.jpg

(Thumbs clickable)

The trains in the middle pic look like a model railroad, don't they? :wink:

After seeing those pics I had to vote for American trains in the poll :smile:

If you navigate "up" in the gallery you'll find galleries of other trains (SF, UP...) and also some non train pictures ("Ghost Towns" for Brickster!).

Indeed Hobbes, US have such classic and beautifull train engines !!!!

In the Santa Fe collection let me present you the beautifull 3751:

WRSF3751.JPG

3751a.jpg

Or here is another great exemple in the Union Pacific 3985 Challenger !!!

3985.jpg

Or the fantastic Fillmore & Western 51

34%20Fillmore%20Western%2051%202-8-0%20left%20side%20l.jpg

I wish TLC did those classic Steam Engines in the regular 9v :smile:

Enjoy guys !!!

Yoda

I think I still like the style of the American Union Pacific GP-30 better:

cargotrains.jpg

those american trains look more aggressive, no doubt. they're supposed to transport huuuge cargo loads over large distances, contrary to european trains. the euro trains have to be highly efficient and easy to use. The result is a difference in design. honestly, i like them both, i just had to make a choice...

Hobbes, Yoda: those are some great images and trains. The BNSF does look like a model. I saw one of these last year driving through the west. I had not seen the color scheme before (aside from Lego's model).

Germany has made some great steam trains as well. Here's a shot of a model BR 18-4. I like the red and black colors traditional of the German steam locos. These must have been power horses!

German_BR_18-4_DB_-_Marklin_29855_M.jpg

Snefroe's crocodile is pretty neat too. I never knew what a crocodile was (or had seen one before). I'd love to have the red Lego version. Here's a shot of a swiss model that reminds me of 4551.

Swiss_De_6-6_SBB_-_Marklin_37521_M.jpg

The truth is, Lego trains is one of the best themes and I like most of them (American or European).

The truth is, Lego trains is one of the best themes and I like most of them (American or European).

The m