Sign in to follow this  
mrblue

list of needed parts in LDD

I already found this topic, but since it's quite old, I thought that maybe some of you have a better solution for this problem.

After making a new build using lego digital designer, I cannot find any option to see the part list.

Since I checked the price of three train car I made using the integrated option and it says something in the range of 100,00€ each (!!!) I got a bit scared and I made a fast count of all the pieces, followed by an accurate count (3 hours in total... sigh). After resulting a total of less than 1500 bricks for less than 200,00€, I realized that pick a brick is much cheaper than LDD integrated buy system. and this can be the answer to my question: lego doesn't want me to have the part list, otherwise they could not get those 100,00€ more!

But there must be a way for lego employees to have that part list, otherwise how could they send me those packaged sets I made? i am sure that they don't explode the sets and count one by one all the bricks.

Any of you have a better way to make that part list? Like opening the file with other programs or sort of that?

thank you all for sharing your solutions!

mrBlue

ADMIN NOTE, March 22nd 2011

Please observe that this is an old topic that was bumped.

↑ THIS IS BRILLIANT!!! I have been looking for a program that did exactly that ... minus the export to BL ... It's like it's Christmas for me all over!!!!

Thank you :thumbup:

thank you very much!!! your program saved me a lot of troubles!

some questions are needed though...

- is it possible to export the list with the lego pab "element ID" and not only with the "design ID"?

- after exporting that xml file, I'm still having some problems to import it in programs excel-like, is it just me?

anyway. thank you again!

mrBlue

The programs main purpose is to make a BrickLink wanted list. In most cases the desgnid is all that is needed to match the part to BrickLink.

Why would you like it in Excel? I have not thought about that.

Hi Anders,

I use and love your program also. As a programmer myself, being able to create Bricklink uploads saved me a lot of work. Previously, I had manually created an Excel spreadsheet with the parts, then wrote a macro to create the XML code from it. WantedBricks is a lot easier! :thumbup:

I would think that adding a choice to export to a comma- or tab-delimited file would be pretty straightforward, and that could be imported by almost any software someone wanted to use.

For the BL list, it would be great to be able to specify "New" or "Used", and to notify via email or not. Also, I'd like to be able to add or delete items. I have one LDD project where I use a printed 1 x 4 tile. LDD doesn't have the right tile, so I substituted one it does have. It would be nice to be able to delete the substitute and add the correct tile in WantedBricks before sending it to BL.

Peter

my main use for the excel export thing has been solved by chance during the last days.

I just used a new version of excel, and with just a drag and drop, the prgram converted the file xml to a readable list.

why do I need that? have you tried to place a pick a brick order with that list? for bricklink is wonderful, but for me in Italy who would have some trouble to place multiple orders for new bricks through many stores it would be a pain with the shipping cost and sometimes with the import tax!

with pick a brick, it would be one order with one shipping cost and no import tax, at a bit higher price, but in the end would be easier to manage.

anyway, even with that list it is still a bit hard to look for all the bricks because you have to convert the color number (ie 11 stands for black if I'm not wrong and so on...) and then you have to look for the design number and then choose the correct color brick.

If I could export also the lego ID code (which includes the color, every brick a single code) it would be much easier.

Or maybe a print button to get a paper copy to place the pick a brick order faster.

If you use the LDD "built my me" function, you gest scared by the price... ie a moc of 1500 parts in "built by me" price was about 300.00 €, while in pick a brick it was under 200.00 € (i'm sure that in one single order in bricklink would be even 20% less), but few days ago, before I found out this program, it took me about 4 hours to check every needed brick and then place the order! with a resulting bad headache and my eyes screaming for help!

anyway, your wanted bricks program is wonderful !!!

thank you again

mrBlue

Hello all,

This program saved me so much time. However to reaffirm the excel export. Can you please tell me how you took the .wbf and were able to make an excel readable workbook?

Thanks so much!

Topic Moved to the LDD forum

General info - please note that this is a one year old topic that was bumped. I'm not sure how relevant it is anymore. Can someone answer sracz?

Hi, I'm trying to make a Bill of Materials exporter for LDD and I was wondering if you could send me your source code for your nifty little program. I am mainly looking for something a bit simpler so kids can use it. I don't need the wishlist or anything, just a list of all the parts and pictures would be nice too. I am fairly competent with most programming languages, but I'd rather not start from scratch since you already have such a finished product already.

Thanks

Check out my program at

Hi, I'm trying to make a Bill of Materials exporter for LDD and I was wondering if you could send me your source code for your nifty little program. I am mainly looking for something a bit simpler so kids can use it. I don't need the wishlist or anything, just a list of all the parts and pictures would be nice too. I am fairly competent with most programming languages, but I'd rather not start from scratch since you already have such a finished product already.

Thanks

Try this one: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41993 it's up to date with LDD 4.2 and works fine. No picture but it has option to export in XML format to add to Bricklink want list so you can quickly check around for stores that has most of it, or to display the list and print it out.

I've looked at LDD Manager and it's not quite what I want, plus I don't want to install Access so that won't work :-/

It would be really great if I could see the source for wantedBricks, but if not, I can understand that too.

Try this one: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41993 it's up to date with LDD 4.2 and works fine. No picture but it has option to export in XML format to add to Bricklink want list so you can quickly check around for stores that has most of it, or to display the list and print it out.

I've looked at LDD Manager and it's not quite what I want, plus I don't want to install Access so that won't work :-/

It would be really great if I could see the source for wantedBricks, but if not, I can understand that too.

You don't need to install Access, the Access Runtime is enough and "free".

About the "source", what do you mean? The code of LDD manager or the Database?

Anyway, check "brickutils" and "MLCad Parts List to BrickLink Wanted List XML Converter" too.

I iam not asble to open this link....

That might be due to the fact that this link is half an eternity old (or rather four and a half years): It sometimes happens on the internet that links get outdated or no longer work when sites are abandoned. And www.nolberger.se seems to be pretty abandoned currently.

You might try the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, but the Wantedbricks1.1.zip file is not archived there and thus can't be downloaded there.

Maybe boost your post count a bit and as soon as you are allowed to post PMs, send one to Anders Nolberger and ask him directly if he is willing to fix that link or if he has good reason to remove that program: If it is several years old, it maybe doesn't even work anymore with the current LDD release.

Meanwhile give the LDD Manager a try, as it is a program with a similar purpose.