gallery_2351_18_164.gif

4428113202_23d6c9752e.jpg

Set Name: Easter Bunny

Set Number: 40005

Theme: Seasonal

Pieces: 81

Price: $US9.99, $AUD10.99, GBP4.99

Links: Shop @ Home, Brickset

I was surprised this set came in a box - I expected a polybag. A soothing, generic looking background with random sparkly balls! Where are the fertility rites? The pagan orgies? This is Easter you know!

4427311941_e2ce27d1de.jpg

The rear of the box shows the one play feature - a Linda Blair in 'The Exorcist'-type spinning bunny head! Excite and then terrify your children!

4428076690_0cd3c71f7a.jpg

Instructions and sticker sheet! You can apply the eyes in any direction you want. My bunny's mood: quizzical :look:

4427313793_8def85d137.jpg

A solid mix of brown and tan parts.

4427314579_18b8700524.jpg

Two bags of parts. Price-wise, it's just OK in AUD at $10.99 but $USD9.99 seems very pricey for this set. UK customers can rejoice at the 4.99 price and buy lots of these to compensate for their 40% hike on Exclusives :laugh::wink:

4428077226_a9818eaabc.jpg

The only really interesting pieces are the two black brackets which used to come a lot in Space sets:

4428079196_4d5babefe6.jpg

The base of the bunny. The legs attach via the space brackets - clever. Notice the many subtle and varied shades of brown. It's been 3 years since red-browwn went to hell and we are *still* getting basic parts in shockingly bad colours? LEGO's quality control sucks these days.

4427316253_3be3cccaf3.jpg

Look at the horrendous difference between the slopes where the eye stickers are attached and the 2x2 bricks below. This bunny looks like it's been punched in the face - black eyes! :cry_sad: I do like the wabbity overbite.

4427316713_881d7d5aaf.jpg

The finished model! It's very cute, if a little oddly designed - what's going on with the paw on the right side of the pic? Stumpy much? I like that the foot-paws are showing the underside of the plates :thumbup:

However the quirky design is really let down by the appalling parts quality. There are at least 3 shades of red-brown in this model - unacceptable for such a small set with brown as its main colour. It's been 3 years since LEGO moved to in-house colour mixing and it's still a big fat failure. Very disappointing.

4428113202_23d6c9752e.jpg

The Linda Blair 'The Exorcist' spinning head play feature. I'm sure someone will post a video on YouTube. Or master Photoshopper and Academy Teacher def can add a spinning head effect to this pic :laugh:

4427349487_01edbed42f.jpg

The flopsy white tail also spins on a Technic pin connection, but this is not mentioned as a play feature. LEGO obviously doesn't want to encourage kids to play with the behinds of their real pet bunnies - only their fluffy little necks.

4427348637_cd8c75d36f.jpg

Extra parts:

4428080962_1940e34d82.jpg

Bonus shots!

A special promotion running at the Grand Emporium during the Easter season!

4427318327_7b87241e23.jpg

(Actually it looks a bit unstable; I hope it doesn't fall and kill that Johnson Willoughby 'window-washer' fig :look:)

All kneel before the great bunny! The pagan idol of fertility finally gets his due from the citizens of LEGO City.

4428081658_e3b856dd9d.jpg

(If Sieggy had done this review that pic would be 200% more explicit :wink:)

Overall Rating:

Design - 7/10 - quirky and different - I like it better than the malformed Xmas Santas, which have never appealed to me.

Parts and Price - 5/10 - not that great a deal for what you get, but OK

Quality - 3/10 - Shockingly bad problems with red-brown persist and really shake my faith that LEGO will ever do anything to fix them :sceptic:

Overall Rating - 5/10 - Fun but hardly essential.

Thanks for reading! Have a great Easter!

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Hehe, that's awesomely goofy!

A great parts selection in brown and tan, I may have to pick this up!

Thanks for the review, with classic Svelte add-ons :thumbup:

Oh here comes Peter Cottontail, hopping down the bunny trail........

Thanks 'Svelte' for a cute review of a cute bunny rabbit ! :wub:

Very clever in design - I must get one for me son to make - he would love to have a King Giant Bunny Rabbit for his little world of his ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Aw, it's sad that the parts quality is so off...it makes me wonder what it will look like after a few years' exposure to artifical lighting. :sadnew:

Thanks for the review Svelvet! Sounds comfortable. :tongue: This set doesn't really appeal to me but some kids might like it in their Easter Baskets. I didn't think this was Rudolph the Red Nosed Wabbit. :wacko::grin:

I want to join the pagan orgy! :classic:

Anyways what is up with LEGO still screwing up color shades? This set is an example of why I don't buy as many sets these days, poor quality and too much. $10 for 81 pieces and no minifigures?!

Thanks for the funny review as usual Svelte! :thumbup:

For $10 USD it does seem pretty bad of a deal, mainly because of the crazy color variation. (I'd also like to point out that my Winter Toy Shop has that problem too)

It does look like a neat little set, but I'd rather spend my $10 elsewhere.

And the 360 degree spinning head feature is hilarious! :laugh:

A very cute lovely review! I like the amount of brown bricks in there. Great review. :wub:

It's a pity that this set is only S@H exclusive.

Excellent review Svelte, I laughed long & hard :laugh:! I might build one for Easter just to check out the Linda Blair effect on my friends kids :devil:!

I was surprised this set came in a box - I expected a polybag. A soothing, generic looking background with random sparkly balls! Where are the fertility rites? The pagan orgies? This is Easter you know!
It´s not that kind of rabbit, I think it´s a cousin to this guy :tongue: :

grail-rabbit.jpg

Thanks for the review Svelvet!
Sounds like a rockgroupxena_banana.gif!!

:laugh: Now I can't help but notice the evil in his eyes every time I look at it.

Black Svelvet :grin:

It's a very cute design, and a quite decent price. I saw the ads for him but I expected he'd be smaller.

(If Sieggy had done this review that pic would be 200% more explicit :wink:)

:tongue: You're probably right. Come to think of it, I could probably make him from spare parts...

Quality - 3/10 - Shockingly bad problems with red-brown persist and really shake my faith that LEGO will ever do anything to fix them :sceptic:

Yeah, I'm not that picky but this is bad by my standards too.

Great review Svelte!

I must say, this looks cute! I think my nephew is gonna love this! Good source of brown pieces and very seasonal indeed.

Black Svelvet :grin:

More like Svelvet Underground! (...and Nico. :wink: ) :laugh:

Cool review Svelte! I'm surprised Lego aren't trying harder with their colour mixing system, when this is the result. In large scale sets, like the Turbo Tank, or Sand Crawler, you can get away with such inconsistencies, but here it is so blatant, even a relatively unobservant person like myself can notice. :oh: It's still a cute model though, especially with the exorcist head feature. And no, you've got Sieggy all wrong, he's really a very shy, introverted person (cough)...

The funny thing with this set is, even the rabbit on the box picture looks like it's having colour issues. So with LEGO, what you see is *really* what you get! :tongue:

The funny thing with this set is, even the rabbit on the box picture looks like it's having colour issues. So with LEGO, what you see is *really* what you get! :tongue:

Yes, I noticed that too. Sometimes they try and cover that up with photoshop, but it's like they didn't even care that much for a small release.

I found the talk of paganism in a derogatory sense offending. Bad review, good set.

I think you are reading things into this review that aren't there.

:tongue: You're probably right. Come to think of it, I could probably make him from spare parts...

You always say that! But I think in this case you wouldn't have any problems :laugh:

And no, you've got Sieggy all wrong, he's really a very shy, introverted person (cough)...

Maybe... but won't somebody please think of the Belville figs? :cry_sad::laugh:

The eyes do tend to follow you around the room :look: Luckily they don't spin too or I'd probably have nightmares. The overbite is less than terrifying but I guess I could use those Atlantis shark blade pieces to add to the terror level. Somebody has to guard the stash of Easter eggs against incursions before the big day.

I found the talk of paganism in a derogatory sense offending. Bad review, good set.

Being that I have been exploring paganism, and have gone to several paganish events in the last month, and might go to another one on the 28th, I say grow a sense of humour. More so because the part with the rabbit is pretty true. Being that christians stole the rabbit from older pagan based cultures to use on Easter because the rabbit is part of springtime and new life / fertility.

You always say that!

Do I? :cry_sad: Well maybe I should take it to the next level then

Being that christians stole the rabbit from older pagan based cultures to use on Easter because the rabbit is part of springtime and new life / fertility.

...as well as other things. Christmas day for example has nothing to do with the birth of Jesus of Nazareth.

Being that I have been exploring paganism, and have gone to several paganish events in the last month, and might go to another one on the 28th, I say grow a sense of humour. More so because the part with the rabbit is pretty true. Being that christians stole the rabbit from older pagan based cultures to use on Easter because the rabbit is part of springtime and new life / fertility.

I know about Paganism as well thank you. And as for grow a sense of humour, I found it offending especially the part linking the Exorcist to Paganism when neither one is related. I don't see any reason when reviewing a toy such as LEGO to bring up references or orgies and demon possesion, its distasteful imo.

I know we're getting off topic and I wish to end this discussion, I found the review offending. If you have any further problem with me then send me a message.

I just bought this set on sales at S@H (3,48€! :thumbup:)

I always need some brown parts to create some Adventurers related buildings, and thought it was a good price!

Looking carefully to the parts it was hard for me to see the color problems but yeah there are at least two different brown.

But I don't really care, I even think it's more realistic when it is supposed to be some parts made of wood in a MOC.

My only regret is that I didn't buy two or three more of those little guys:blush: