Sign in to follow this  
petero

Help building a door in LDD

I need some ideas on how to build a door. I'm a MOC newbie, and I've run out of ideas for this. Here is a picture of the building, and the open side the door will go on:

door%201.jpg

The building is an ancient Egyptian shrine, along the lines of the old Adventurers Desert theme. The doors will cover the entire end. This is the door I was thinking of making:

door%203.jpg

EDIT: Better rendering of the size of the doors I want. Ignore the tiles with the dials... they're standing in for hieroglyph tiles.

However, it's obvious the edges of the doors will bind, even though LDD lets me rotate them.

I thought of using Technic arms with rounded ends to avoid binding, but I can't figure out how to attach them. Since I'm a newbie, I don't have the bricks to try it, and I haven't found a way with the parts in LDD. I do have the expanded parts library, so maybe I'm just not familiar enough with Technic parts to figure it out. (My original Lego building days were in the late 60s, long before Technic!)

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas!

Peter

Edited by petero

Why not use a LEGO door? That will bind, but LEGO gives enough where that solution would work.

Thanks, but I haven't found doors large enough. I just put a better rendering of the doors in my original post. Each door needs to be 5 or 6 wide and 7-8 tall to allow the sarcophagus to slide in and out. I've checked the catalog items at BrickLink, but none of the doors is that large.

Peter

If you want to use the hinges in your example and at the same time avoid the "locking effect" when closing the doors, a solution is to place the hinges on the "inside". Two examples:

EgyptDoors.jpg

If you want to use the hinges in your example and at the same time avoid the "locking effect" when closing the doors, a solution is to place the hinges on the "inside".

That's it! (Slapping forehead, giving a distinctly hollow sound *huh* ) It never occurred to me to reverse them that way. Here's what I've "sketched up" quickly...

door%204.jpg

door%205.jpg

I've checked BL, and the hinge plates are available in both blue and tan, so I'm all set.

Thanks!

Peter

Trying to recreate the old yellow castle with LDD, I had to create a way to reproduce the rear doors, as the original pieces was missing in the palette!

So.. here is my solution!

doorst.png

NOTE:

- doors open only in one direction.

- in order to work, doors need to be 1/3 thick in the centre, where doors touch each other.

In attachment the lxf file and a screenshot!

EDIT: I've only 6k to upload (is there a daily limit?) so... I post the screenshot only, later I'll attach the lxf files!

RE-EDIT: Download HERE Door.zip

Edited by Calabar