1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Train-tacular!

traintech1.jpg

00review.jpg

Not many LEGO fans may remember the Spiderman theme, and even fewer LEGO Train fans may recall 4855 Spider-Man's Train Rescue. In fact, I think we can call it "the forgotten train"; but today on Train Tech, I'm going to share a review of the Forest Hills city subway train.

NOTE: I was very close to posting this review in the License Forum, but as it is a train, I'm going to share it here in Train Tech.

Set Number: 4855

Set Name: Spider-Man's Train Rescue

Year of Release: 2004

Pieces: 294 (according to box)

Minifigs: 4

Price: $30 USD

Extras: Two spiders, five spiderwebs, two road signs, slammer, and more

In looking at the nice boxart on the front and back of the box, the backside actually provides an alternate model that offers train fans an idea for a building a hand car:

02boxb.jpg

For Spiderman fans, the back of the instructions show a few other Spidey sets:

03inst1.jpg

Here's a close-up of that alternate model as seen toward the end of the instruction book:

04inst2.jpg

In breaking out this set after a few years, I discovered the sticker sheet still intact within the instruction book:

05stickers.jpg

Minifigs include Spiderman, J. Jonah Jameson, Doc Ock, and after researching, the Train Conductor played by actor Tom Carey:

06figs.jpg

Here's a close-up of Doc Ock with his mechanical tentacle arms:

07docock.jpg

The set includes some useful accessories including a nicely printed Daily Bugle newspaper:

08access.jpg

The highlight of this set, at least in my opinion, is the subway train car:

09train1.jpg

The front and rear sides have both yellow and red light bricks:

10train2.jpg

The roof has three round printed grill tiles and easily lifts off the train car:

11trainroof.jpg

Three red chairs allow figs to sit down; and I've always loved the 1x4 control tile with two moveable levers.

12trainint.jpg

The track assembly has six straight tracks, a slammer mechanism, and a few barriers:

16runaway.jpg

Slamming the mechanism causes the train to lunge forward on the track:

15slammer.jpg

The first barrier is two road signs (STOP sign stickers not attached). They are only attached to the track, with the other side placed on a 1x2 grey tile:

13blockade.jpg

At the end of the track is the web barrier with five spiderwebs and a white "Ninja-rope" for Spiderman swing play:

14webs.jpg

Lastly, another view of the subway car on the track. It would look better with stickers:

17traintr.jpg

COMMENTS

So, what do you think of this little train car and accessories?

You don't have to be a Spiderman fan to appreciate a city subway car and track assembly. I may just create some custom decals, replace the small wheels with train wheels, add buffers, and see how this train car looks in my Train Town. I think the train car offers some nice train windows, 10 2x2 light grey, 2 2x4 light grey, 2 2x2 dark grey, and 4 2x3 dark grey, and I really like the rounded ends of the car. The additional pieces used to make the track assembly can certainly be used in one's city.

Many of the Spiderman LEGO sets were on clearance in the U.S. I think I picked this set up for $12-$15 at the time. I felt that the value (on sale) was well worth the money, and it offers a train for adults, and some Spiderman fun for the kids. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the review TheBrickster. :thumbup: This was my first and only spider man set that i bought. I had forgotten that there were some stickers in the set. :thumbdown:

Thanks for the nice review TheBrickster. :classic: I bought Doc-Ock's hide out as the only set of the Spiderman series merely because it was on clearance and contained an excellent parts selection. Which kind of indicates how interested I was in the Spiderman line. I always found the subway car an interesting design from the looks of the catalog/box images. Now that I see it in more detail in your review, I must say I'm not too impressed by it. It's a bit blocky and simple. The color scheme is nice though and with a few touches, like opening doors and some more exterior and interior detailing, this would make a very good subway car. I still hope TLG makes something like this or a tram for the City theme sometime.

Thanks for the review 'The Brickster' ! :sweet:

Interesting set - the train is worth it though - you can expand easily on it and make a bigger one I guess.

It seems to a have a racers feel to it with the punch mechanism - this was purely aimed towards 9 year old boys ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

My thoughts are that that was an excellent train/Spiderman review.

Personally, I like this set quite a bit. It's got a great amount of figures, Doc Ock (least favourite head, though), Spidey, J.J. Jameson and a basic train conductor. The train itself is simple but well designed for its purpose. The launcher definitely adds playability and is true to that part in the movie. I like the web wall, but I have one question: does it bend slightly when hit by the train or is the plastic too thick?

I don't know if anyone remembers, but there was a LEGO/Spiteyourface made movie from 2004 about the Spiderman 2 sets- this one included. (thanks bunky213)

Great Review!!! :pirate: The set looks ............................good(maybe) :hmpf_bad: The only real highlight of the set is the train car, Thats my opinion.

I had no idea there was a train set in the Spiderman line. Brickster you have produced a top notch crisp review of a really nice set. I love the detailing on the subway car, as well as the webbing complete with radioactive spiders :thumbup:

Looks like a nice set of figures to boot.

Great stuff.

Excellent review! :cry_happy:

Seriously, I never had a chance to own any Spiderman sets, and in this case, this set is pretty fun to play with. Imagine the fun and ramping you could get in there. I am so envy of you.

Thanks for sharing another one of your great reviews. :thumbup:

Very nice review :thumbup: , this is the only spiderman set that I had. It was quite a bit of fun, but it had lots of stickers and the build was okay.

I was not collecting when this came out, but now I'd really love a Spider-Man set. I don't know if this would be the best one though. Thanks for illuminating us with this review!

Nice review! Wish I had been collecting when this came out, I probably would've gotten it on clearance or something...

Nice review thanks. I have the majority of this set, bought as spares, i may well have to try and complete it now. I love the train in this set, its simple yet very realistic, if that makes sense??

i love this set, i bought it for the subway carriage that i used in an animation,

i just wish that had included 2 or three carriages!

great review btw!

Thank you for the nice review.

I didn't bought this set when it was in shops because it was that time (2004) around 40 euro (around 50-60 u.s.dollars) and the only thing I really liked about this set was Jonah Jamesson.

A year later were most Spiderman sets for sale and I bought some of them, but I didn't see these in sale.

@ the Eye: Thank you for the link. I never saw that video and I found it quite funny. :thumbup::classic:

Edited by Wout

I have this set and I bought 4 more of those rails from bricklink together with it.

My original plan was to angle the last rail upwards so it would send the train flying.

Tried a few settings but the train would just derail at the angled spot. :cry_happy:

It's quite a nice set! The labels are a bit of a pain, but it's still good! The train is a great recreation of the CTA 2200 series cars, and it can be likened to their newer cars as well(2400s and later models).

Nice review.

And what you get, when you put 4 cars behind eachother at 9v track?

e_-_4855_waiting.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by AFOL12v
Oversized Image Removed

Awesome picture AFOL12v but I know that you know our image posting guidelines. I'll let you resize.

Aside from the HUGE image and a two-year old bump, I like seeing this with a 12V twist. The additional cars look great. :thumbup:

EDIT March 29: It's been a few days - image removed.

That is a very nice shot right there. Maybe TLG will make a real subway train some day. :cry_happy:

That set was amazing. I loved how it had an actual working train car too.......with seating for passengers. I was able to use it eith my regular Lego trains and make a small rapid transit service in my town. If it had couplings though, I would put some extra cars. The other one I liked from classic Spider Man was that ambulance set. 

So with that being said, I'd say it was Train-Tacular.

Edited by pooda